Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Depreciation vs Appreciation
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Given the same amount of care, upkeep, abuse, etc., what makes a house, that sits in a fixed location on a firm foundation, dependent on the quality of its surroundings always seem to appreciate while a house on wheels that can choose its surroundings at will, depreciate?

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
When you sell your stick house, you are selling dirt, too.

Dirt does not depreciate.

Dirt does not deteriorate.

They are not making any more dirt.

The term "location, location, location" addresses the value of the dirt, not the house.

The term "tear down" references the fact that a lot of property is bought for the value of the dirt, not the house.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
It's even worse than that Mike....Motorhome depreciation must be contagious....Just plunk your home down in the middle of just about any RV campground and see what happens to its value! Smiler

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Motorhome depreciation is something that surprises me too, although helps me since I'll be buying used... the value of new motorhomes drops off SO fast (even faster than new cars) I can't imagine ever buying one. Whereas 5th wheel trailers maintain their value much longer. But the market declares what something is worth, and I plan on taking full advantage of a highly-depreciated gently used motorhome. Wink

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Motorhome depreciation is something that surprises me

Doesn't surprise me. Since poverty has forced me to spend most of my life owning and maintaining elderly RVs, I am intimately acquainted with the cheap design and construction of RVs. Add incompetent or delayed maintenance to that mix, and they go downhill fast. Case in point being wood rot from roof leaks.

However, there is a trend in stick houses that does not bode well. With cheap labor available in abundant supply, stick houses are being built more sloppily every day. Here in CA, tract houses have been more poorly built evey year since the sixties. And inspectors seem to be blind or brain dead. I am appalled at some of the stuff that gets by. I sat and watched a house being built a while ago, and it was scary.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
If my 2 cents worth is anything of interest, after 30+ years in the building trades I recommend a builder who builds between 10 and 40 houses a year. He knows what he's doing, he knows his prices, and he should have a handle on his subcontractors. The HUGE developers build hundreds of overpriced junk piles. My nephew bought a 2 story "mansion" for over 8 hundred and it fell apart in less than 5 years. Structural leaks leading to mold intrusion and plumbing that literally fell apart, but the builder was so well protected by "contract" that little can be done about it. Well now I'm just rattling on so I'll close.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with Danny; I'm not in the trades, but I insured contractors for years and years. I also refused to insure many contractors due to being familiar with the crap they built.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post