Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

37 days to retirement, just venting
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted
I'm sure some of the retired folks out there can relate to the mixed emotions that surface when retirement arrives. I'm there now and it's both exciting and scary. I'm excited to be able to do many of the things I couldn't do when I was working 12+ hours a day for over 32+ years. The scary side is leaving a comfort zone I created for myself at the same time.

Without exception everyone that has already retired from the power plant wishes they had retired earlier. I certainly believe them but until you actually live it you don't really know how it will affect you.

I don't think I'll have a problem keeping busy as I've always been a projects guy, almost to a fault. Meaning I've usually got several projects going at any given time. The only problem might be financing them, being on a fixed income and all. I may have to get a partime job if funds run low Smiler

The one thing both my wife and I are really looking forward to is being able to attend a GTG. While I was working it just wasn't possible for us to make it to one. Since we live in Alaska the travel time to and fro would be a bit excessive, not to mention the fuel expense. Now that we will be traveling in the lower 48 for at least a couple months a year we should be able to hit a GTG or two.

Since day one I have been impressed with the depth of knowledge in the forum and the willingness to share that knowledge and I look forward to meeting you guys and gals at a GTG in the near future. Thanks again to all for your help.

Roman

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS

Hubby and I retired 7 years ago and I hope you and wife enjoy it as much as we have. We had to alter our lifestyle due to the reduction in income, but it has been worth it.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ron... My parents are retired and they tell me that there are not enough hours in a day to do everything required for being retired.

The key to a successful retirement is to be active. Get out and enjoy yourself, you've earned it. Taking a part time job isn't a sign of failure, it's a sign of fiscal responsibility.

Many retired people who live this lifestyle join up with a workamp group. There are many such groups to look at.

Work-Camping <> Workamping <> Workamper I would also google work camping and see what pops up.

Don't slow down... That's the name of the game when retired. The destination is just a place, the journey is the real treat. Get yourself an "old fart's hat" and drive in the right lane. It's payback time. Big Grin

I posted this back in May 2006. We were talking about our hobbies and this just came out.
quote:
I think, when most of us come to this site, we like to talk, type, offer advice, research, check up on upcoming neat Rv items or to unwind with our Barth. It's like opening a window into an adventure most of us would like to do, but sadly, few will ever take.

With you Rusty, I like thinking about your "Star Parties" and how I'd like to check one out. I think about your boat and airplane and think about doing those things.

There are others on this site that take off for several days/weeks and leave postings about different places and things to do. I like reading about that and fancifully wish that I was the proverbial "Fly on the wall" in their coach.

I dream about chucking it all and "retire" to a 50 hr work week with some cushy job that doesn't require me to be laid up for 3-4 months the next time some moron runs off the road and takes me and my equipment out.

I'd like to do some safer things, like jump out of a perfectly good aircraft. Anyone want to do that, or are currently doing that?

I hate reading how someone has to sell their coach because their mate is too sick to enjoy it. How sad to work all your life and when it comes time to retire and enjoy life... disease, old age or your own stupidity (smoking/drinking/drugs/overeating) creep in. This retirement thing is so upside down.

I keep getting this mental image of a person in a casket. No one says "I wish I worked more" they always say "I wish I did more or spent more time with the kids, wife, hobby etc..."

I think of how some of my friends are in debt up to their eyeballs but they always manage to get in a long vacation. Is this being irresponsible or enjoying yourself? A fine line. It's like betting that you wont live to retirement. If that's the case then you had a good time and played with all your toys before getting your recall notice.

If you retire and don't have disposable income then you're the neighbor that peers out the window and watch life pass you by. How sad to wait for a check & for your kids to stop by just so you can get out of the house. Waiting around for something to happen and wishing that you saved a little bit more so you could enjoy what little is left of your time here.

My hobbies include... reading, playing with the kids, coming to this site, bowling (it's been awhile), taking the Barth to a race, collecting some die-cast, playing with the newest AV equipment, working on my toys (Barth/Nova) and I like dreamscaping about places to go and things to do.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
All of the above is very true, I've been retired over 20 years, had several partime 2 day a week jobs having fun (shuttle bus driver at the airport & delivering blood to local hospitals). The extra $$ came in handy but it helped slow you down. Now it's tough to find that cushy 2 day job so we flow with the tide and try to do the things we missed earlier. Will miss the Florida GTG cause a community cruise was planned last year.Just have fun,GOD will help you with the planning.........................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Since being retired I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed with half left undone. Wink

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Another thing about being retired is that you are often unaware of holidays.

This morning was spent trying to call a number of places, none of which answered their phone. Naturally, I worked myself into a rage over why I was the only person in the country who ever worked, etc, etc.

Then, when the mailman didn't show at his usual time, I started wondering, and realized today was Columbus Day.

Another wasted rant.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Since being retired I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed with half left undone. Wink
and the worst thing about doing nothing. You never know when your finished. Smiler

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
My wife's social scientists and medical people all suggest a second career doing something that challenges you, requires brain rather than brawn, and that does not require stress - of financing, or employees, of tying yourself down. They say the surest way to an early demise is to quit "doing". Among the careers we have seen the most useful is being a consultant to small companies that are in the business you spent your life conquering. I hire expert witnesses for basically public works knowledge and things like engineering, traffic operations and municipal government. From this site I suspect lots of you have unique and valuable skills that would be great second careers.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I semi-retired in '03 and finished the last consulting gig 4/19/06.

Retirement isn't for the faint-hearted; Up at the crack of noon, and the pressure's already mounting...what for lunch? Where do I take my afternoon nap, the sofa or the recliner? Did I remember to set the DVR to record The Weather Channel for later viewing? What's for dinner?

The stress never relents...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Actually some days I am not retired. When I wake-up it is a decision right away. Will I be unemployed, consulting or retired. If unemployed I need to look for a job. (This one has been crossed off the list for a few years now.) If consulting I need to find a client with problems and money so I can attempt to make both go away for them. If retired, I can go back to sleep. Often I find myself retired unless Liz has made coffee already, then it is another decision tree.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
.....and what is so wrong with doing absolutely nothing? ......with out a speck of guilt!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Up at the crack of noon,Big Grin

I wake up at the crack of ice.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
My wife's social scientists and medical people all suggest a second career doing something that challenges you, requires brain rather than brawn, and that does not require stress - of financing, or employees, of tying yourself down. They say the surest way to an early demise is to quit "doing". Among the careers we have seen the most useful is being a consultant to small companies that are in the business you spent your life conquering. I hire expert witnesses for basically public works knowledge and things like engineering, traffic operations and municipal government. From this site I suspect lots of you have unique and valuable skills that would be great second careers.

Damn, I am an expert witness / consultant now…what the hell can I do when I retire? Smiler

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
When I stopped working for money in 1979, I had occasional qualms & depression about being unproductive for the first time since kindergarten. I found that if I laid down with a cool drink at hand, & a cool damp cloth on my forehead, the moment would pass. Dozing one morning in 1980, I was awakened by the blast when Mt. St. Helens blew, & decided to stop feeling sorry for myself & enjoy retirement.

Over the next 16 years, at various times, I served as treasurer of a community association, did income taxes for a half-dozen clients, set up accounts for a couple social organizations & my son-in-law's business, volunteered as an AARP tax-aide, restored 4 boats ranging in size from 24'to 43' in length, refurbished 1 Class "B", & 2 Class "A" motor homes, & a couple automobiles, and did all the finish work on a 1400 sq. ft. retirement home, including landscaping 3 acres of grounds. There were also months of boat & RV travel every summer.

In 1995, bypass surgery left me with 80% of my cardiac capacity, & since then, I've only restored 1 class "A", & 1 Class "B" motor home.

Can't do any of that stuff any more so last month we moved into a retirement home.

Jeez, no wonder I'm so tired all the time.

The bottom line is, quit worrying about it. You'll learn to fill your days with productivity or foolishness, & if it's the latter, what the hey, you earned it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
WOW! Such sage advice and probably with a straight face to boot.

Seriously, thanks to all who have stepped up to the plate with kind words of support be them fact or fiction.

My wife and I don't have much of a plan right now other than to get our house ready to sell. We bought an airplane hangar 3/8 of a mile as the crow flies from our house in Alaska so will use it as a home base when we sell our house. The plan is to add a 15' X 47' mezzanine across the back wall for storage and living space.

In time we will probably buy or build a home somewhere in the lower 48 and sell the hangar and many of the toys. I just can't see myself traveling back and forth for too many years. But you never know, I've asked three retires that are doing the snowbird thing and each one felt the same as me in the beginning. Travel back and forth for a couple years then sell out of Alaska. One of the guys is approaching 20 years of snowbirding and the other two are over 10 years and don't see the end in sight. I wonder if their wives like Alaska, mine doesn't and that can make all the difference in the world.

Like I said I'm a projects type guy so don't see myself having trouble keeping busy or even picking up an odd job here and there. It's been suggested by some of the guys I work with that I do a little road whoring during our travels. To clarify, a road whore in this context is a person that works a couple days or a couple weeks at a power plant, refinery, factory etc. during a turn-around (24/7 maintenance while the plant is shutdown). I think it would be interesting for awhile anyway. Or I could fall back on building prototypes for aspiring inventors.

Likewise, my wife is in the medical field and believes she could pickup a few short calls as a medical assistant during our travels. So in short order we will be writing a new chapter in our book of life. Wish us luck. Hope to see some of you at a future GTG.

Roman

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post