Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Green Thing
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong I'm not antiplastic except used for disposable stuff that should be reusable. It is not a long life alternative when used in boats, planes or RV hulls either!

(Bill h has the same use for kitty litter jugs, I bring them to my airplane guy and dump the oil in his waste oil furnace tank, then recycle the jugs but it could be a 5 gallon metal can used over and over)

Helmets? Vests? Oh yeah. God bless Kevlar, etc. Lots of good places for polymers just not on the roadside please.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Funny....I remember being one of those "kids" in the early 70's questioning everything the "old folks" were saying and doing... hmm
Point being...every generation questions the generations before them and what they did and what they are doing. If not, where would we be today???

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:

Composites have a big future in aviation.

Yeah, I'm not really up to date, and my helicopter experience is minimal.

But, I was in the airline industry when composites came in big, and we had a lot of failures. The only one that bit us was a Scarebus that went in the water when a composite tail fin attach point developed an undetected internal failure from overstressing that finally let go. The whole story is more complicated than that, and there was a lot of finger-pointing and spin, but I am old enough to grouse about it and say, "They don't make them like they used to."

On the other side of the coin, all my desert bikes did better with Preston Petty aftermarket Tupperware fenders than aluminum ones. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:
Funny....I remember being one of those "kids" in the early 70's questioning everything the "old folks" were saying and doing...

I think my parents must've gotten smarter as they got older. 'cause they didn't know much when I was a teenager.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post