Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Reality Check
 Login now/Join our community

The Old Man and No Barth
posted
On selling a Barth: Posted on Barthmobile.com for about a year. Listed in RV Trader 8 months. Parked on the street, one month. I did not try craigslist or eBay.

No direct responses from Barthmobile, but the listing was a resource to refer inquiries from other sources. RV Trader averaged about one call per week. Most found Sequim a place too far. Most inquirers were unfamiliar with Barth.

RV Trader generated 3 lookers who traveled some distance to view the Barth, but didn’t buy, & 2 who were ready to buy sight unseen. One of those initiated lengthy correspondence, up to the point he made his flight reservations, & I prepared the coach to deliver. At the last minute he e-mailed he had an emergency that required him to leave the country for awhile. Was he real? Who knows?

Had 4 lookers from the roadside display, one of whom wanted to buy, but didn’t have finances.

I was preparing to donate the Barth to charity when the ultimate buyer bought sight unseen. He offered about 50% of NADA retail. As always, fair market value is established by agreement between a willing seller & a willing buyer. The buyer has owned several motor homes, is familiar with Barths, & is a tinkerer & restorer - just what every Barth needs.

He drove it home to Boise, ID, & reported it’s the first motor home he’s had where he felt comfortable steering with one hand while he drank coffee with the other. Claimed it was like driving a big limousine - a testimony to the tag axle, Steer-Safe bell cranks, & Safe-T-Steer. I was never quite so effusive, but it sounds as though he likes it.

The coach is in top mechanical shape, but the paint’s bad, the furniture is worn, & the headliner has the problem all Barths with foam-backed headliners seem to have.

He says he wants to restore it to its original glory. His name’s Ellis, he’s registered on Barthmobile.com, & I hope he keeps everyone apprised of his progress.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Olroy,
You sound tired. Congratulations on selling the Barth. Sorry that you sold the Barth. I wish you well as you start your Barthless phase of life. Smiler I'm guessing that you have many fond memories of traveling in the Barth and parting with it brought up some of those memories. I hope that you stick around the website. It just would not be the same without you.
Mike

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
w/ “FRED” FRont End Diesel
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post