Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rims, Tires, Suspension
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Bill, I did consider the "Watts linkage" (we call it a "Z" bar in racing circles) and do know of the advantages and have had those on several of my race cars. After a full and detailed analysis of the motion, the panhard bar is OK and will not contribute to unsettling issues during true horizontal motion of the tail.I have very little coach lean.

My fuel tank is just behind the front axle, and the difference between full and empty isn't that much, that is why I rejected the battery move idea, again it would help but not enough to justify the effort and cost, would also loose valuable storage space.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Mine has a panhard rod that extends from the frame rail to the center of the diff.

Have you considered a Panhard rod going from the frame on one side to the other end of the axle housing? There is a theoretical advantage to the longer bar, which increases more with suspension travel. I saw the difference on an off-road racing pickup.

quote:
I have replaced with a new one, the old one was shot and had a lot of play in the end joints.

What kind of ends did it have? How did they fail?

quote:
I have very little coach lean.

Even with very limited lean, an anti-roll bar can help sway, as there is an interrelationship. Have you considered an anti-roll bar in the rear from a heavy Pee chassis? IPD used to sell stiffer vinyl bushings. It would be cheap and easy. Typically, stiffer anti-roll characteristics abaft will increase oversteer, so this is something to consider.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Have you considered a Panhard rod going from the frame on one side to the other end of the axle housing? There is a theoretical advantage to the longer bar, which increases more with suspension travel. I saw the difference on an off-road racing pickup.

With the amount of vertical axle travel, the length of the bar isn't critical as it would be in anything off-road. The bar is absolutely parallel to the axle so the radius effect with vertical travel is minimal. The only advantage to a longer bar in my case is reduction of binding caused by the bar trying to pull against the spring in large vertical movements.

What kind of ends did it have? How did they fail?

Huge ball joints and just had lot of wear, over 1/4 inch of play at both ends. Had grease zerks but when I got the coach they were quite dry, New bar from Spartan has no zerks and better end seals.

Even with very limited lean, an anti-roll bar can help sway, as there is an interrelationship. Have you considered an anti-roll bar in the rear from a heavy Pee chassis? IPD used to sell stiffer vinyl bushings. It would be cheap and easy. Typically, stiffer anti-roll characteristics abaft will increase oversteer, so this is something to consider.

There is a relationship to lean and sway but in the Breakaway case and the amount of sway vs.lean a sway bar will not help, I have done the math, the only thing the anti-roll bar will do it increase the differential bump harshness. The breakaway have a low profile and the CG is quite low. we are not trying to get racecar characteristics, just a bit better directional stability at cruise speeds.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
I do run metric on the front. (225R19.5)Are the tires suspect? As in, DON'T MIX RADIALS AND OLD-STYLE and different sizes front and rear. Autos are different, of course, but I had serious "tail-wag" with an auto years ago due to mis-matched tires front and rear. (I know, it's a stretch, but maybe???)

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have radials on front and rear. Bridgestone 225R7019.5 were really bad on the front!
There was virtually no difference with Michelin 8R19.5 and Michelin 225R7019.5, the 225R7019.5 are better and I also have no tire rub which I do with the larger diameter 8R19.5!
I haven't tried Goodyear yet and as I mentioned still looking for some wheel manufacturer to make me a set of 7 3/4" wide wheels 6 bolt Budd style,and then I would go to 245R7019.5 "G" rated tires

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill, I did consider the "Watts linkage" and do know of the advantages and have had those on several of my race cars. After a full and detailed analysis of the motion, the Panhard bar is OK and will not contribute to unsettling issues during true horizontal motion of the tail.I have very little coach lean.

Hmmm.........Considering the limited suspension travel, do you think a Watts linkage would be worth the trouble on a P30 chassis? It is a lot more work than a Panhard bar.

Oh, BTW, have you tried other tires on the back? I don't know how much this applies, but two of my three P30s came with Michelins, which seemed to have a lot of sidewall flexibility. A lot of the tail-wagging went away when I switched. Steering improved, as well.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Just a comment on radial tires. To much air pressure will make them drive like you were on ice. I have had a couple of cars that after getting serviced I had to lower the tire pressure. On the Barth I run the no more than the recommmeded tire pressure.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is interesting reading the following posts. As some of you remember, we bought a Champion Ultrastar last year with an Oshkosh chassis. It is a 33' diesel pusher puwered by a Cummins 5.9 and Allison AT 540 trans. We just completed our winter travel of almost 5000 miles and yes, we still had to follow it all over the road. It seems that with a solid front axle, a panhard bar is a good choice as well as replacing the bushings in the leaf springs with polyurethane bushings. That will tighten up the front end and make tracking much better. The Davis Tru Trac is what was recommended and it is a bolt on application. We are being affected by the the wonderful republican economy now and must sell our motorhome as we don't plan to travel for awhile as business is down due to gas prices. Just in case anyone might be interested, you can see my ad in Craigslist at. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/632788947.html I won't bore you with details. It's a real nice unit and well constructed.

Terry

Posts: 25 | Location: Lanesboro MN | Member Since: 09-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I just replaced the front tires on StaRV II (early April); the Kellys on there handled well, but one developed a 2" sidewall blister, so they were gone. I was in MS at the time, and my host recommended a tire store, and they recommended Wanli (Chinese - PRC). I was a bit skeptical, but now with 2,800 miles on them I'm confident in the tracking and handling; I think they're actually a bit better than the Kellys, and I've always been a Kelly fan. On the web, the reviews on the car tires are mixed, but the truck tires are well-regarded. The ride is a bit harsher, but my Breakaway rides like a buckboard, now just a slightly worse buckboard (but still better than my 1-ton van...).

I think Champios are sleepers - I looked at a Furon a friend had for sale, and it was squeak- and rattle-free, but its handling was squishy.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
.... still looking for some wheel manufacturer to make me a set of 7 3/4" wide wheels 6 bolt Budd style....

Have you tried Stockton Wheel?

posted Hide Post
Interesting that you mention them! I have just contacted them last week, there only 1 hour away from me.

They haven't gotten back to me with a quote but they said they should be able to make a 7,- 7 3/4 inch wide wheel with a 6 bolt Budd style pattern.

They had a concern about weight but when I told them it was a RV they were OK with that, I am under the load rating for the 6 inch wide wheels so making wider wheels should be in line with my load requirement as well.

Thanks for the reminder and tip.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater