Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
1990 Barth Regency 36' Luxury Coach 36RDG-C1
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
In reference to the 90 Regency...it is a 3208 and in fact on the certificate of orgin it says MHA3208 300hp with a 31,340 GVWR and also a 238" wheel base. Other pluses are that has never been smoked in and only pets have been a caged bird.

Posts: 9 | Location: Georgetown,Ky | Member Since: 04-14-2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick - for your information on the 90 Barth that I have posted....the mileage is around 9 MPG in our hilly area and I suspect it would be higher on the western plains. When I was pilling a Jeep Grand Cher it would be a little over 8 MPG. It has no solar panels,satellite dish,thermo pane windows or air ride. It does of course have cable tv connections as well as telephone jacks. Thank you

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by playerslight77:
What's your experience with the 3176, Billh? I haven't driven one of them before...

...I meant BillNY.
The 3176 was a rather neat motor. They were not as loud as some of the other Cats. For the most part they were pretty trouble free. These motors just fell between the big guns of the 3406's and the lighter 3208 & 3116's. It was easy to get great pulling power out of these engines but sadly were not a favorite of most mechanics.

I know when they first came out a lot of the grease monkeys felt the injector pump was mounted to the wrong side of the motor. For what it's worth I felt more comfortable doing roadside assistance on the safer passenger side!

The major problem was because of it's relative low numbers in an over the road operation parts availability was an issue. It sometimes took an extra day just to get parts and for most fleets that was 2 days too long!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The L-10/HD chassis injection was my fault - I was still thinking of Jack's 32' Regency which is so equipped, instead of this one, when I responded to barthbus....

But I do keep bill h and Bill N Y straight... Razzer

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
David-

Thanks for the information.

Gunner and Rusty-

I agree that the Regency is a high quality rig. On the other hand, is it worth $26,000 more than a Breakaway?

It does NOT have solar panels, satellite, thermal pane windows or air ride. And the fuel economy is in the 8-9 mpg range, which is about average while some diesel Breakaways get 11-12 mpg.

I’m not criticizing David’s beautiful coach, just trying to determine what makes it worth $55,000 without the accoutrements which usually set a Regency apart from a Breakaway.

Rick

Posts: 23 | Location: Sunny, Rural Pace, FL across Escambia Bay from Pensacola | Member Since: 12-05-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
It does have air ride. The Gillig chassis were one of the premier full air ride chassis and are still today. Many if not most of the transit buses around the US are Gillig.

And, as I have told many. The time to discuss price is when you have decided you want that coach and you are standing there with your check book open. That's where you seen magic happen. If I had that coach I would start right where he is and go from there.

My coach has a book of $7K but you better believe if I were putting it up for sale today i would definitely start at $16-18. It's up to the determined buyer to get me to get close to what he can afford.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This is my not-so-humble opinion: Is a Regency worth $26K more than a Breakaway? No. Unless one is in the market for a larger M/H.

Unfortunately, for the past four years I've looked at over 50 motorhomes in search of what I now have. I don't know if you've been looking for long, but my preference would be for a Regency 32'. Unfortunately, due to an assortment of trees (100-year oaks) lining my driveway at a tight turn, and which I don't wish to destroy, I'm limited to no more than a 30'.

But at $40-50K I expect I'll jump on a 32' Regency when I have the room.

And this one is a 36'. Now I'll admit, I've only been looking at 32' and less for those four years, and I'm no expert on motorhomes, but I've seen ones five years old that are showing signs of deterioration of the house. I don't mean mechanical, I mean the coach is starting to fall apart, and repairs to issues like that aren't cheap. They aren't even expensive - they're well beyond that!

I can only say that if I were in the market for a 36' coach, I'd be on David's like stink on doo-doo. Does it have all the accoutrements of other Regencies? No. But it's a Barth, and where would one find another coach at that price that'll be around long after most others are being used as garden mulch.

That said, what I need in a coach is ample basement storage (where the Regencies have it all over the Breakaways), but my '94 28' Breakaway is the prototype for a new version, and it has 3x to 5x the storage of virtually any other Breakaway.

But the bottom line is what interests you and what you need in a coach. 9-10 mpg in a 15-ton coach is pretty good, but a 30', 9-ton Breakaway at 10-11 mpg may suit your needs better. And it'd be $20K+ less.

Either would be a better choice than just about anything else.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are planning to go to the Barth Rangers Spring Rally on June 14-18th in Cincinnati if anyone is interested in seeing this 1990 Regency. That is if I'm not having rotor cuff surgury or recovering from.. Also if I don't hear from anyone we will probably drive our new coach (the on with the slides). MY wife is not a happy camper trying to find places to put things that were in the Barth....a lot less room and no pantry. But we will manage somehow. Dave Gregg

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
This will be my first post on a web site, so I hope I do it right. My wife and I looked at Dave's Regency today and we were very impressed. I have my SOB for sale and as soon as I have a buyer, I will be up to buy this one. I was certain the paint would be in need of a touch-up, but I was wrong. How can a paint job stay that good for 16 years!! Is that Imron? By the way, the transmission is an Allison MT653 (or maybe MT643 ... bad memory on my part). I would be glad to field any questions, but we found it to be as advertised. Tom

Posts: 25 | Location: bardstown, ky | Member Since: 05-20-2006Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think most of the later Barths (maybe the earlier, too) have Sikkens paint applied. At least in later years, I'd guess that it's urethane. My '94 looks factory-fresh, except for a couple of filial corrosion spots. It helps that it's applied over aluminum instead of gelcoat, but even the nosecap (fiberglas) on mine is pristine.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom vernon:
This will be my first post on a web site, so I hope I do it right.
Welcome to the site Tom. Stop by often. If you do something wrong we will let you know. Roll Eyes

A couple (as in two) of quick rules:
[1] A barth is called a "Custom Coach" and is not to be confused with the word "rig".
[2] No posting pictures of SOB's unless it for our amusement. Big Grin

That's it, have fun!
quote:
Originally posted by tom vernon:
By the way, the transmission is an Allison MT653 (or maybe MT643 ... bad memory on my part).
An MT653 is a 5 speed. An MT643 is a 4 speed.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I guess I should have paid more attention to those numbers on the transmission plate. Please do let me know if I say something wrong on this site, as it will make me feel at home. I'm positive I won't break the two rules, though. Tom

posted Hide Post
Did I miss the generator in this? What size and fuel?

Posts: 15 | Location: MA | Member Since: 02-14-2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it is a diesel, but not sure of the size. It started right off when Dave showed it to me, as did the engine. It has 50 amp service. Tom

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

I don't know. I left a message for the guy. there are two David Greggs in Georgetown, KY so I left a message with both. Must be a father son deal..

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Report This Post