Search
Notify
Tools
1998 38' barth monarch
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty, let me know what you think.

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Report This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Congrats Tom!
I know you're going to love it.
We purchased the 1997 34' Monarch from this site about a year ago and have no regrets. Recently, while at Disney's Ft Wilderness, a couple with a nearly new Wanderlodge lamented how they wish they had gone with something like our Barth rather than the almost $200K used Wanderlodge that had experienced many issues. That was before fuel went up too!
If not too personal, could you give us a brief synopsis of your plans? Live in it, just holiday? Retire? Permanent location or on the move?
We use ours to travel between our two homes in NH and Florida. This allows us to travel with the cats, dog, and grandson and to have a spare bedroom when settled in either location. I travel a lot for work, as you seem to, and occasionally find a way to integrate Barth in that area too.

Again, congrats and stay in touch with this great group.
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/12
Picture of ZIM
posted Hide Post
I know diesels are different than gasser engines,

but whats with the a/c v-belt thats on backwards

in the pic of the motor?? or is this just

hillbilly style??

ZIM

Posts: 61 | Location: Pennsylvania | Member Since: 06-17-2007Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The belt isn't installed backwards, I don't think - some belts like the Goodyear Gatorbacks - have kerfs on the back.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Picture of ZIM
posted Hide Post
YES, the gatorbacks have kerfs on the backs

for a more quiet run, but the v portion still

faces inward riding within the channels of the

pulleys..unless...it's suppose to be that way ...

for some rhyme or reason...just too much thinkin

on my part i guess...lol.

ZIM

posted Hide Post
Those pics are moving awfully fast!! How ever if you look reaaaaallllyyyy close you will see the v belt is riding in groove. No Hillbilly engineering here.

Posts: 10 | Location: ocala fl | Member Since: 05-22-2008Report This Post
Picture of ZIM
posted Hide Post
YUP.....RUSTY has got them eagle eyes...they sure look like the gators he mentioned....thanx for the closeup jeff....looks like its time for eyeglasses.
I got another question, i see the electric fan, does this coach have a radiator? and as i read in other posts if so is this the type that sits sideways? with another fan??

ZIM

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The gizmo with the fan looks like an engine oil or tranny cooler, more likely the latter.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with olroy - the A/C compressor hoses go off in a different direction.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZIM:
YUP.....RUSTY has got them eagle eyes...they sure look like the gators he mentioned....thanx for the closeup jeff....looks like its time for eyeglasses.

ZIM

I cheated - went to the non-slideshow ink and ferreted out the photo...no, wait, I used the slideshow - I'm just really good Big Grin.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Loughney:
Thanks Rusty, let me know what you think.

Tom

I'll be back in FL around 7/9...PM me if there are any particulars you want me to check.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZIM:
....thanx for the closeup jeff....
That was me editing Jeff's post. Seeing that the questions were being asked about "Hillbilly Engineering" I didn't want anyone to think that this coach was slapped together like mine. Big Grin

I used the other link to track the pictures down and posted them for your preview.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
The Gizmo with the electric fan is the AC radiator. I have this exact setup on my rig. It is Acme air and doesn't work very well. I move my radiator to the air intake area on the left side of the coach hoping for better AC performance. Still trying to figure this one out.
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Report This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"The Gizmo with the electric fan is the AC radiator. I have this exact setup on my rig. It is Acme air and doesn't work very well..."

Same as mine also. Unfortunately, the electric fan sucks in (over the condenser coil) while the huge (hydraulic fluid-driven) sidemounted engine radiator fan pulls and then exhausts hot air OUT the rear of the coach across the puny A/C fan. Large-fan-driven hot air wins. Moving the A/C coil assembly in front of the Huge sidemount should work -plenty of room- but I've not gotten to it yet.
"does this coach have a radiator? and as i read in other posts if so is this the type that sits sideways? with another fan??"
Radiator is side mounted with a LARGE intake grille down low on the driverside rear. Fan is driven by hydraulic -read power steering fluid- oil and pulls. It blows into the engine compartment which is open to the back, with mucho room above and around the engine. Only fan in the rear is the puny A/C fan hung on the inside of the grille. A/C compressor is the only item on the "upside-down" belt.
Large serpentine belt drives camshaft, waterpump, and alternator.
PS: (Not that anyone cares) The white filter topside near the hose is the coolant fluid filter; the white filter down low on the right is the first (of 2) fuel filters.
The big can on the upper right is the hydraulic (P/S) fluid cask with 1" hoses going across to the fan motor.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong, since I know little about MHs or this engine, but it appears to me that the kerfed belt runs the ac and the sepentine belt runs the alternator, water pump, and perhaps a hydraulic fluid pump. I would think the cam would be either gear or chain driven?

Posts: 3 | Location: MO | Member Since: 06-27-2008Report This Post