Tools
1982 Barth MCC 35' For Sale
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Good job
Thank you

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Report This Post
Picture of JoeFWB1980
posted Hide Post
The MCC is now listed on craigslist, spread the good word!

http://cenla.craigslist.org/rvs/3578881073.html

Joe Guillory
Terrel Guillory (deceased)
1982 MCC # 0029

Posts: 24 | Location: Home is Pensacola FL... MCC is in Pineville LA | Member Since: 06-08-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Talked to a salesman at Camping World yesterday. 20 years ago, he bought a 1982 38' Foretravel with an 8.2 DD. Now, 20 years later, he still has the same coach and the DD has 350000 on it. Wow.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
There are Detroit engines and there are Detroit engines. The Detroit engines that were used in the RVs, light trucks and cars of the early and mid 80's were the V-8 adaptation of the gas engine and were not good. No possible way they would go 1 million miles.

The Detroit engines that truckers use are usually the 60 series engines and are good and can go well over 1 million miles. a far cry from the early V-8 Detroit. Head bolts were only 1 problem with the early V-8 Detroit engines.

Too much oil will not be good for the engine and while it seems reasonable that the engine will run longer with more oil in the crankcase, it is NOT necessarily true. If the crankcase is over filled, the oil will get whipped up in to a foam and air will be introduced into the oiling system. Any air of sufficient quantity in the engine oiling system will reduce the oil film and pressure which can lead to premature bearing failure.

The use of synthetic oil in a diesel does not necessarily mean longer engine life. If the oil is changed at regular intervals according to the manufacturer service life probably will not be effected with the use of synthetics. This topic has been discussed on many diesel forums and general consensus is don't waste your money

I have found that Kendal synthetic blend 15-40 gives me abut 5 lbs more oil pressure at a specific RPM/temperature than other oils that I have used in the Cummins 5.9L. It will also carry higher oil pressure thru the change intervals. My oil change routine is between 8K-12K miles. I am approaching 200K miles on the little Cummins.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The salesman I talked to worked for the Knoxville Camping World located on I40. His hobby is older motor homes. Don't know what is in his Foretravel but if you call the Knoxville CW, and ask for the salesman with the Foretravel, I'm sure he will be very happy to talk about his DD and what he has done to make it last so long.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I have a good friend that still has a large ford dump truck that has 900,000 + on it at the present time. And it has sit at long intervals at times, but has kept going. He says the engine has never had major problems. Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The "Detroit Diesel" tag was applied originally to the 6.3/6.5L and the 8.2L 4-strokers but dropped later. In trucks, boats, locomotives, and a few RVs, the DD 2-strokers were used. They came in x-53, x-71, x-92, and x-110 and up varieties.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Kevin, sorry, it has a cat 3208. My books said to put 19 quarts in with filter changes and that fills it up the mark. Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I would advise going to the local CAT dealer and ordering the Engine Manual for your specific engine. The Serial number and spec number will get you the exact manual for your engine. You will discover that CAT has long been known for the quality and comprehensive information in their manuals. They cost money but you will find every detail and spec so you can examine the engine parts and estimate the remaining life before overhaul. The numbers vary in location so I would call and ask the Service Manager where to find them. The 3208T has the air cooler mounted in front of the cooling system radiator.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Report This Post
Picture of Itchintogo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I would also like to ask if any one here has Caterpillar 3208T that has had any major repairs. The manual that came with my Barth sitting on a Gillig Chassis suggests an overhaul at 180,000 on the Cat 3208. I am hoping to get farther than that, but do not know the specifics of care it had during the 122k is has on it now. Records seem to show it was reasonably good maintenance care. My addition of synthetic may be good or bad. I am hoping it will lengthen the service life of my 3208t Caterpillar Engine. Then again it may just create a lot of leaks, since Shell Rotella Synthetic is thinner it will find all the little leaks the engine now has. I am hoping it wont leak out faster than I can put it in.

Another question too is oil capacity. I have conflicting information on the quantity of quarts the crankcase needs to properly fill it. The Cat manual states that the engine requires only 16 quarts for the crankcase. The dipstick fill level should be adjusted for the Gillig chassis. Inside the door of the oil filler tube is written 24 quarts. I am inclined to believe that the engine crankcase oil has been overfilled for 23 years. The previous owner told me 24 quarts too. Too much oil is not good, but an engine will run longer with more oil than with not enough oil in the crankcase. When I visit The Cat dealer I will find out if some of the 3208T engines had larger oil pans. I am asking all (not necessarily just Barth) owners with Cat 3208 engines for their findings on crankcase oil kind and quantities for some input. Do any of you Cat owners use Synthetic Rotella or a blend of synthetic oil in the 3208T 300 hp engines?

The CAT 3208 will, with proper maintenance exceed 180,000 in most cases. CAT suggests new Rod and Main bearings rolled in at 100,000 but most engines with good maintenance will exceed that. I would comb your records to see if this was done. Also check your oil pressure at hot idle and see if it meets CAT tolerable limits. If it does your likely OK but this is something you should consider soon.
Also a valve lash adjustment should be performed around 50k and every 50 k there after. Another thing to see where your baseline is in your records. If you can not find a record I would have that done asap.

I would not spend the money on synthetic oil as it would be hard to achieve the value on a 3208. Father time is not your friend in this case. A good quality motor oil with a decent TBN number will do the trick. You are in Houston some guys run 15W40 and some swear by Straight 40W. Do you have much oil consumption?

Lastly oil capacity is a question you need to be careful about. Other motorhomes with the 3208 also have this same dilemna. It depends on configuration and oil pan. You need to make sure you get the correct information and also that you have the correct dipstick in the engine. I would say at first observation if the PO operated it for 180K with 24 quarts it can't be far off. Just my thoughts. Probably best not to hijack this thread and start a new one if this discussion continues on the 3208. Good discussion BTW. Maybe a moderator will do that for you.

Gary

Posts: 19 | Location: Left Coast | Member Since: 07-12-2011Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I did mention "don't waste your money" on synthetic oil for the diesel, but that is not to mean that I am not obsessive about oil. I have operated many rigs and done comparisons between oil types and oil make up. I found no differences between "dyno" oil and synthetic oil when used in diesels in terms of TBO or general wear and tear.

I am with you though on the use of synthetic oils for gas engines. I have done over 50 engine transplants, dozens of "power upgrades" and have always used synthetics in gas engines both N/A and turbo engines. I also change oil at 5K mile intervals in the gas engines, that can be deemed as obsessive.

I can not agree with the last decade of recommendations by notable auto manufacturers to go with 15K intervals or statements that Trans and diff fluids are "life time". No such thing!

To auto makers, "life time" means to the end of warranty.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Report This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found no differences between "dyno" oil and synthetic oil when used in diesels in terms of TBO or general wear and tear.

The reason to change diesel engine oil is due to the depletion of additives, not deterioration of the base stock, so synthetics are, IMHO, wasted.

I run synthetic in my car, but that's because it sits for sometimes 2 or 3 weeks at a time, and gets very modest use.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
Picture of Itchintogo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
I found no differences between "dyno" oil and synthetic oil when used in diesels in terms of TBO or general wear and tear.

The reason to change diesel engine oil is due to the depletion of additives, not deterioration of the base stock, so synthetics are, IMHO, wasted.

I run synthetic in my car, but that's because it sits for sometimes 2 or 3 weeks at a time, and gets very modest use.

I agree hence my comment about the TBN. The higher the "total base number" the more additive depletion is reduced. As you place oil in an engine that has been run even if you do not start it the TBN starts to reduce. The lower that number goes the less protection you have.

I was a Chevron Delo fan for years but have recently switched to Super Mobile 1300 15/40 for my Duramax as the TBN was 7-8 versus 10.5 on the Mobile. Super 1300 widely available at most Walmarts for cheaper than I can buy Chevron at Costco. The Duramax seems quieter with it too.

The coach requires straight weight oil with specific ash content for the 2 stroke DD.

Gary

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
DD in the '60s decided ring belt and valve deposits (manifested primarily on the 6-71/318HP) were the result of metallic ash content >1.0%

Contemporary motor oils use more ashless detergent-dispersents, which operate entirely differently from the old barium and calcium ash additives.

My fave diesel MOs are Rotella T and Mobil Delvac multigrades and Rotella and Kendall Super DIII singles.

My '81 Nissan Maxima diesel was fed Super DIII its entire life and is running into the mid 700K miles.

Some of the newer members may not know I was a Shell field engineer for a number of years, so I'm partial to The Clam.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Itchintogo
posted Hide Post
Rusty you are the go to dude then for oil! I used Rotella 15/40 in my 3406's back in the day.

Now I just have the 6V92 and the Duramax. By the way there is Shell in it right now!

Gary