Forums    Barth Journeys    Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
It's off to work I go. Our club has had two large telescopes donated from UPa's Flower and Cook Observatory near Malvern, PA. We have a work trip to disassemble/crate the scopes (one 28", one 15") for transport back to Jacksonville.

I'll be leaving 9/4 or 9/5/07 up I-95 to US 301 north of Richmond, to SR5 at Brandywine, I-495 around DC to SR295 (BAL-DC Pkwy) to I-95. US-202 at Wilmington to Malvern.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your good luck.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Due to multiple construction projects, I'd suggest you try to avoid Rte 5, 495 & B&W Parkway (295)....add a fender-bender anywhere close and 5-10mph will be the norm for miles....

Look at staying on Rte 301....it turns into 97 just NW of Annapolis and tees into 95 near the Baltimore harbor. 301 is divided, limited access for much of the way.....

I'm 2 miles from 495/295 interchange on NE side of town: flat ground, 30amp & H20 if ya need it.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Road Construction Is My Life...but I definitely appreciate your advice. I'm kinda attached to US301, as the traffic has always been modest, and there haven't been obstructions due to accidents or construction in the years I've used it...I've always found it much faster than I-95 and its offspring.

So I'm altering my proposed route to carry US301 into the "Balmer" suburbs; since I usually run only at around 62 mph, my coach's best speed, it'll be just as quick....

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sked pretty well nailed down - leaving Oh-Dark-Thirty 9/4, peeling off I-95/I-295 past Richmond to US 301, RON around Bowling Green, VA, rejoining I-95 near "Balmer", US 202 just North of Wilmington, DE, to Malvern, PA.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Rusty,

Due to multiple construction projects, I'd suggest you try to avoid Rte 5, 495 & B&W Parkway (295)....add a fender-bender anywhere close and 5-10mph will be the norm for miles....

Look at staying on Rte 301....it turns into 97 just NW of Annapolis and tees into 95 near the Baltimore harbor. 301 is divided, limited access for much of the way.....

I'm 2 miles from 495/295 interchange on NE side of town: flat ground, 30amp & H20 if ya need it.

BTW, Lee, thanks for the updates. We have a pair of our members going independently, and, well, they intend to "enjoy the I-95 DC traffic" in a minivan....what can I say, the primary driver ain't the brightest light in the chandelier...in fact we've assigned one of our members to keep him out of the way of those of us actually working...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Last post for a week (I suspect). Leaving tomorrow. Happily, the control board on the Norcold reefer took a sabbatical, but it works fine on LP, and I have plenty aboard.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Last post for a week (I suspect). Leaving tomorrow.
Safe trip Rusty!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Have a good ride Rusty!

Looking forward to hearing about the equipment you will be bringing back.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The equipment we recovered was a pair of antique scopes. The first was a Fecker 28.5" compound reflector; its mirror and holder weigh about 700 lbs. The tube was 1000, the pier, 1500, and the fork (in which the tube with mirror sits), was ~1500 lbs. My task was Loadmaster for all this scope except the mirror. Sadly, because of time constraints (some of which was my having a two-day delay occasioned by the master brake cylinder problem - see "Adventures in Barthing Mark III"), I wasn't able to secure the equipment like I planned, but two of us did the best we could, and we'll see tomorrow if it survived the truck-train-truck trips. Value of the entire ensemble will be ~$6,000,000 when refurbished.

The second scope is a specialized 15" refractor (view through the main objective). I brought the main lens back in StaRV II (for safety). While aboard, the main lens and auxiliary lenses I also carried increased the value of my Barth and its cargo by a factor of 20 (about $800,000, $1,500,000 when restored, if one is counting).

Both scopes were abandoned by U PA, but the buyer of the property refused to break them up for scrap - and in fact donated $12,000 for a contractor to help move and load the components. The value of the former observatory property (where all the remaining structures will be razed) is ~$3,000,000. A McMansion will be built on the land.

BTW, the property (before becoming an observatory in the late '40s) - had originally been a "residence", and had an inground swimming pool - of aluminum ("Ah, the rich, they're not like you and me!")

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wrapup: All the equipment made the trip safely, and is now secured in the Florida Community College Jacksonville's hangar...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke