Barthmobile Portal
Every thing is done getting out of town

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6341087061/m/651107101

06-07-2009, 08:09 AM
lenny and judy
Every thing is done getting out of town
We have to load food cloths, tools, kites, and metal detectors.(water and land).I think we are going to go to a campground that is just before the Skyline bridge near Tampa.leaving Wednesday coming home Saturday.No towed on the next few trips have to save up the money. If we don't go anywhere we could put on towing parts now.When we go to Cleveland in July we will probably rent a car.don't know in Washington if we have to rent or not.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B
06-07-2009, 03:54 PM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
..........kites........

Anybody who Owns a Barth and flies a kite has gotta be all right. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
lenny and judy
had a bunch of power kites. Now two new solders. just stunt kites, gave my big ones to my son and nephews. got to big for me .
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B
06-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Rusty
Good idea to have a "shakedown" for a few days nearby. Good luck!

This is only my opinion, but I'd get the Barth up to your standards of reliability before considering a toad.

And I concur with avoiding it for the Cleveland trip, as the best route takes one up I-77 in VA, with a 5-mile, 7% grade. I'd make sure the old girl could handle it solo before asking her to haul extra. Not to mention, the WV Turnpike charges per-axle (as do most toll-takers). For two axles, the WVTP is $5, collected at 3 booths. The long grade is before the WVTP, and the grades in WV are much more moderate.

I go up towards Cleveland a couple of times a year (actually, west of Akron). To summarize, I've found the best route (adjusted for your origin) is to exit I-75 at exit 358 north of Ocala (SR 326). From there it's a 4-mile easy run to US-301. Take US 301 through Baldwin (where it become a good two-lane), straight through Callahan to SR A1A/SR200 (two-lane for part, 4-lane for the last few miles) to I-95 at Yulee. Then I-26 to Columbia, I-77 to Cleveland.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
lenny and judy
We do take 77 when I hit state route 18 west to Wellington or Grafton oh.71 is a wash board don't like I75-I71 in Covington ky.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B
06-08-2009, 12:21 PM
lenny and judy
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
quote:
..........kites........

Anybody who Owns a Barth and flies a kite has gotta be all right. Smiler

does anybody fly kites in the group?

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B
06-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Jack
I carry a few plain old kites in my back compartment for fun. If there kids around, I'll let them hold it till they lose interest, then I can enjoy the experience.
Lake Champlain Bluegrass Festival

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

06-08-2009, 07:17 PM
bill h
quote:

does anybody fly kites in the group?

Yeah. I am a sucker for kites that look like sailing ships or airplanes, etc.

My favorite right now is a Wright Flyer. Looking up at it, it reminds me of the original suspended in the Smithsonian.

As a kid, I had a war surplus target kite that had a rudder and could be maneuvered. It was sky blue with an airplane silhouette in black, and used nylon fabric. It was originally used as a target for machine gunners. I had a ball with it, but got into trouble for diving at cars on the highway. I also used a messenger to drop snowballs or water balloons.

My silliest endeavor was building a kite to Alexander Graham Bell's tetrahedral design. It worked, and had a good area to weight ratio, but a lousy build time to flying time ratio. Frowner

06-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Rusty
quote:
We do take 77 when I hit state route 18 west to Wellington or Grafton oh.71 is a wash board don't like I75-I71 in Covington ky.
lenny

Wellington and Grafton are only a few miles from where I'm going Saturday (Lodi); be there 6/14-23.

I get off I-77 at Strasburg, then go through Wooster.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
06-09-2009, 12:52 AM
olroy
I remember those WW II target kites El Segundo Bill mentions. They were above my pay grade at the time, but my best boyhood buddy & I, both of us airplane modelers, built our own right after the war. The fin & rudder were made of aluminum sheet salvaged from a brand new J-3 Cub that had crashed across the street from his house (killed the pilot & passenger, a couple of just returned WW II aviators, probably badly hung over that Sunday morning - they dived on a girl friend's house, clipped a tree, folded up both wings, & crashed in the only vacant lot in blocks).

Our first attempt was too heavy for the size of the kite we made, but we made a bigger kite, & it worked fine.
06-09-2009, 08:18 AM
lenny and judy
NOW I ONLY HAVE A FEW STUNT KITES USED TO FLY THEM AT SHOWS THAT IS WHY I HAVE TWO SHOULDER REPLACEMENTS THE LARGEST KITE WE FLEW WITH SIX MEN WAS 760SQ FEET DID SET DOWN IN THE STANDS ONCE DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS NOW A IDIOT TRIED TO FLY IT ONCE ALONE AND DIED.HOPE THEY BURIED IT WITH HIM.NOW THEY ARE FLYING OVER 1000 SQ FEET.
LENNY

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B
06-09-2009, 08:20 AM
lenny and judy
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
lenny

Wellington and Grafton are only a few miles from where I'm going Saturday (Lodi); be there 6/14-23.

I get off I-77 at Strasburg, then go through Wooster.

/CLAR MAR LAKES

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B
06-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Ray
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
I remember those WW II target kites El Segundo Bill mentions. They were above my pay grade at the time, but my best boyhood buddy & I, both of us airplane modelers, built our own right after the war. The fin & rudder were made of aluminum sheet salvaged from a brand new J-3 Cub that had crashed across the street from his house (killed the pilot & passenger, a couple of just returned WW II aviators, probably badly hung over that Sunday morning - they dived on a girl friend's house, clipped a tree, folded up both wings, & crashed in the only vacant lot in blocks).

Olroy,
I know this is a Hijack of this thread but...

What other WWII stories can you enlighten us with. It would be great to hear some of your experiences and would also be good to memoralize them too if you care to share them with us.

Thanks
Ray

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford
06-09-2009, 04:39 PM
bill h
quote:
NOW I ONLY HAVE A FEW STUNT KITES USED TO FLY THEM AT SHOWS THAT IS WHY I HAVE TWO SHOULDER REPLACEMENTS THE LARGEST KITE WE FLEW WITH SIX MEN WAS 760SQ FEET DID SET DOWN IN THE STANDS ONCE DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS NOW A IDIOT TRIED TO FLY IT ONCE ALONE AND DIED.HOPE THEY BURIED IT WITH HIM.NOW THEY ARE FLYING OVER 1000 SQ FEET.
LENNY

Please, Please, share some pictures.

06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Jim and Tere
WWII!! The "Great Generation". It was and is. Wonder how many of these heroes are members of our Barth family?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny