Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Our final 2-week trip of the year
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted
We just came back from a 1500 miles, 2-week, trip.
The Barth performed flawlessly, even in the long hills of northern Pennsylvania.
We left home on Oct 4th and went to Lake George. From there we went to Gettysburg and had a wonderful stay at Drummer Boy Campground. Our next stop was at Cherry Hill Park in Washington DC. We ended our trip in Cape May NJ.
It was sunny for the 2 weeks and the temperatures ranged from 72F to 95F during the day.

This weekend will now be set aside for winterizing Frowner

The only sad note is that we didn't see any other Barth in the two weeks we were on the road.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I just want to say how happy it makes me to read posts from folks who use their coaches. I know a lot of Barth owners take a lot of pride in their babies, but to me it should never reach the point where you're afraid to take it out on the road for fear it might get dirty or [gasp] a dent. If you want to keep it as a show vehicle, afraid of every footprint or smudge, that's your perogitive, but we bought the Euro to use, enjoy, and not spend every waking minute obsessed with perfection. Glad you folks had a great trip and thanks for sharing. A couple pix would be nice.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with Danny; I average 12-15K miles/year...it's a "motorhome", which means it has an engine, which tells me it's designed to go places. So it does. I do feel a bit sorry for those with Barths in The Great White North, having to winterize and park their coaches until the Spring Thaw...StaRV II has regular runs in every month except May.

As to "smudges", I regularly wash the front (bugs) and back (dust accumulation), and vacuum the interior (a fine haze of Golden Retriever fur on the carpet). This month I have a bunch of those smudges, where I've been wallowing under the Barth and got fingerprints on the side extracting myself from there.

Like many, my first priority is mechanical/electrical reliability; a dirty coach motoring down the road trumps a clean one crapped out on the shoulder. In the past six weeks, I've gotten three packages from Spartan, one from Peninsular Engines, and one from Blue Ridge Diesel.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
I also agree that a motorhome needs to be on the road.
When I purchased my Barth last year, the previous owners had driven a total of 59,000 miles in 16 years. In the last year ( 6 months of actual driving ), I drove 6,000 miles. It's almost twice their average.
If I had the weather advantage that Rusty has, I would also be in the 12,000 miles annual range, which would be fine with me.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post