Barthmobile Portal
Adventures in Barthing (Deja' Vu All Over Again?)

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6341087061/m/5501047181

05-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Rusty
Adventures in Barthing (Deja' Vu All Over Again?)
The brilliant engineers at GM used a tap off the power steering pump to energize the power brakes on larger vehicles. My SOB had that, and halfway home from buying it (about 20 miles) the P/S belt broke, and the last 8+ miles were without power steering or power brakes.

BUT WAIT! There's MORE! StaRV II has a 6.5L TD, with the same arrangement, except that while the SOB has separate belts (4 V-belts), the Barth has but one serpentine belt.

I can say from experience that if that belt breaks, one has:

1. No power steering (and Popeye wouldn't be pleased with humping the steering in such a case)
2. No power brakes
3. No engine cooling

On my way home from some star parties, the A/C compressor locked up, and terminated the belt in the Alabama hills. Fortunately, there was no traffic and a flat spot appeared in a few hundred yards to change the belt. Time: 1 hour - 55 minutes for the engine to cool (it never overheated) and 5 minutes to install a new belt.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
05-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Bill N.Y.
So I take it that the pulley/clutch didn't lock up. Just the A/C pump? Had it of been just the pulley/clutch you would really of had a problem. If your new A/C pump doesn't come with a pulley/clutch spend the extra scratch to get a new pulley/clutch.

Although it would have been cheaper in the long run if it was just the pulley/clutch that failed you wouldn't have been able to drive it after replacing the belt you would have needed to tow it instead.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
05-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Rusty
The clutch bearings are fine - the compressor shaft froze. It was low on freon, so I recharged it, but it failed anyway - it was due for replacement, as the shaft seal was leaking...I put a bit of oil in also, as that's what evidenced the leak, but it was already too far gone.

GM A/C compressors no longer use a keyed, threaded shaft - all are press-fit, so new compressors come with new clutches.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields