Tools
Reply To This Topic

Speed Weeks, Daytona
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Just wondering if anyone is planning to go to Daytona. We plan on the 150's the 17th, and anything else that comes up right [cheap]. Just day tripping in the Bird.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Not going over this weekend for the Shootout and ARCA, just too darn cold. Won't hit 60 today with a 20 mph north wind, and the Shootout isn't till 8:00 tonight, so it will be even colder. After mid week it's supposed to be real nice, low 70's and 50's, so if anyones going for the 500 you should be in good shape.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Not going over this weekend for the Shootout and ARCA, just too darn cold. Won't hit 60 today with a 20 mph north wind, and the Shootout isn't till 8:00 tonight, so it will be even colder.

Wow! Florida sounds cold. Here in AZ, the river across the road is frozen, but it is mid '70s and sunny in the afternoons.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Danny's become a Wuss. Hanging out with Bill NY too much.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here in AZ, the river across the road is frozen, but it is mid '70s and sunny in the afternoons

bill, this is the first thing I can remember in my 8+ years here that you've said that makes no sense. 70's and sunny won't allow ice for very long.

79 Barth Classic

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Here in AZ, the river across the road is frozen, but it is mid '70s and sunny in the afternoons

bill, this is the first thing I can remember in my 8+ years here that you've said that makes no sense. 70's and sunny won't allow ice for very long.

The river is frozen only on top. Not ice skating frozen. And only in the morning. Thaws every day and freezes over at night. Temps have been low '20s at night and high '60s to low '70s by afternoon.

BTW, the Hassayampa is a weird river. It often flows underground, then surfaces, then goes down again. The part I see on my morning walk is pretty still, so it freezes more easily than if there were a lot of current. It can go from a dry wash to an impassable torrent in a couple hours. And the road crossings that do not have bridges or culverts get lots of sand washed over them.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The river is frozen only on top

Have you ever seen one frozen on just the bottom? Big Grin

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
How wouldja know?

But, in this case, I meant just a thin layer of ice on top. It had that nifty angular pattern, like the moisture on windows under some conditions. The horses here know to use their hooves to break the ice on their troughs. We had to use heaters in Iowa.

posted Hide Post
quote:
How wouldja know?

But, in this case, I meant just a thin layer of ice on top. It had that nifty angular pattern, like the moisture on windows under some conditions. The horses here know to use their hooves to break the ice on their troughs. We had to use heaters in Iowa.

Bill, sorry, I was just having fun with ya cheers

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
quote:
How wouldja know?

But, in this case, I meant just a thin layer of ice on top. It had that nifty angular pattern, like the moisture on windows under some conditions.

Bill, sorry, I was just having fun with ya cheers

Sure, made me chuckle. Smiler Also made me think a little, and decided that it would be very unlikely for water to freeze first at the bottom of a river. Perhaps a heat wave in the Arctic would melt the top but not down deep for the first day or so. But, that's a stretch.

BTW, I like the rear quarter shot of your coach. something about a tag axle, I guess.

For Danny:....... It's 17 and holding outside right now. At sunup I'll check the river ice again. http://forecast.weather.gov/Ma...&lg=en&FcstType=text says 69 today. My own guess is a coupla degrees higher.

posted Hide Post
quote:
"Sure, made me chuckle. Also made me think a little, and decided that it would be very unlikely for water to freeze first at the bottom of a river. Perhaps a heat wave in the Arctic would melt the top but not down deep for the first day or so. But, that's a stretch."

Corey - I've seen a river in New Hampshire freeze hard, then a heavy rain overtops it. Weird looking and dangerous. It's probably impossible for a river to actually freeze bottom up. I know that even in a lake, the ice can only get so thick and then it insulates the cold air from making the ice any deeper. I skied Squaw Valley over Lake Tahoe, and that lake never freezes because it's too deep and the water just keeps inverting warmer water from the endless bottom.

"BTW, I like the rear quarter shot of your coach. something about a tag axle, I guess."
Corey - Thanks, It's a little thing, but I love the way the "non steering" tags look on the Wanderlodge with two matching deep dish wheels. When they have rear steer, they put a front wheel on the tag and it gets real ugly. Like an every day Prevost I guess ha! ha!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
We were in Wickenburg on Friday for Gold Rush Days and took in the car show. The Hassayampa is dry in town even that far down stream but full flowing a couple of miles further down at the rest area on Rt60. Neat sight to see.
We'll likely take the scenic route up thru Yarnell and over to Prescott this week since haven't been for lunch at The Palace yet this year. You have quite a long grocery run from your place to town!
Don
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
BTW, the Hassayampa is a weird river. It often flows underground, then surfaces, then goes down again. The part I see on my morning walk is pretty still, so it freezes more easily than if there were a lot of current. It can go from a dry wash to an impassable torrent in a couple hours. And the road crossings that do not have bridges or culverts get lots of sand washed over them.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:

We'll likely take the scenic route up thru Yarnell and over to Prescott this week.

Drop by and say HI. We are 11.7 miles south of Kirkland Junction. First Barth on the left.

quote:
You have quite a long grocery run from your place to town!

I figure under an hour on the Ducati or Norton. Smiler A little longer in a car, depending on which. They made my Toyota with a turbo. Might have to look into that. Altitude really saps power.

Susan only shops once a week, as it is, so no big deal. Salad greens will be our biggest problem. Presently, I often pick up salad greens on my bike ride in-between. We plan on a greenhouse, too.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

bill, this is the first thing I can remember in my 8+ years here that you've said that makes no sense.

OK, Danny..............Here's another one for ya.

Yesterday, I made Susan some dowsing rods, and now she's out in the bushes searching for water. I can see her hat moving back and forth.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
MOONBEAM DO YOU EVER WORK.Must be good at harassment. When do you go camping what do you do when you go? See you can handle your self.you are very mechanical.Just never new what you did.
thanks
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post