Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

grand canyon
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
We are going to be driving from LA to Kentucky next weekend and wonder if anyone has taken their coach to the Grand Canyon. Do you recommend a campground there, or what would you do. Our coach is 34 ft. My kids have never seen the Canyon, so I really want to stop. Thanks for any input. Tom

Posts: 25 | Location: bardstown, ky | Member Since: 05-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Tom, I've been to the Grand Canyon. It's worth the trip, but I've never camped there.

If you don't have one already, the Trailer life Campground Directory, or Woodalls, are handy guides for finding campgrounds wherever you travel. Many public parks have size restrictions, & a few private parks do as well. A 34' coach is too long for some places.

As far as I know, the TL guide is only available by mail order, but Camping World & many other RV stores sell Woodalls. Both guides rate parks, & have precise information as to location, directions, & quite complete info. as to facilities.

We always travel with one or the other, & often select our daily stop on the basis of the info they contain.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was there in the 70's, and while I'm pretty sure the Canyon hasn't moved around a whole lot, I was worried that the roads may not have changed too much either. I was hoping someone may have camped there rcently and could give me a thumbs up or down on driving the rig around and camping there vs another campground nearby. I am going to purchase a book for use as I agree one would be invaluable.

Posts: 25 | Location: bardstown, ky | Member Since: 05-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Tom, I have never camped there in a MH, but have been there numerous times. There is primitive campground at the south rim and at the north rim also. But I don't think you would want to be on the north rim this late in the year. I don't think you should have any problems but remember that area around Flagstaff, the elevation goes from about 6,000 and 8,000 ft. I seen it snow 24' there on Nov.1. A couple of years ago, I took a raft trip down the Colorado river totaling 180 miles, covering 7 days and six nights. And you will see a fast change in temps.

This is really an area not to miss. Happy motoring. SKY

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sky and Olroy, south rim it is. I looked up campgrounds and they are restricted to 30 ft in the park. I'm 34 so will have to figure something out. Has anyone tried hwy 160 out of there going toward Grand Junction? I would like to go from the Grand Canyon to Denver and mapquest says to take 160 instead of going around I40 to I25. Tom

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Sky: Re CO River Raft theough GC. Been there done that. An adventure to not miss before one dies!

Tom:
160 is hunky-dory. In fact it is a major route through four corners to the SW CO ski areas from the hotter part of AZ. But beware, open range. I was on a bus (not mine!) once that hit a cow at night. The rancher got there nd started butchering the cw beside the road much faster than the cops got there.

You are going to have problems with CG seasonal closures of public CGs for the winter. I am I N CO and headed south because most of the public CGs are closing around me. I have been snowed on twice already.

I have never camped near the GC, in fact haven't been there since the site-see shuttle was instituted. Not a recomendation, just a thought. There is a train from Williams area to the GC. Do not know how long you want to stay at GC.

Mesa Verde in SW CO is worth a stop if you have never been there. Flag is a nice college town to hang out in a day or so. Oak Creek Canyon (Sedona) S of Flag is worth a visit for a day or overnight.

Monument Valley is worth a peek (off of 160 on the UT border.

Be sure to stand in 4 states at once at 4-corners.

I am sure there are commercial CGs outside the park - check them out before going. The web can answer most of your Qs about CGs.

http://www.nps.gov/state/az/

http://www.nps.gov/grca/

http://www.fs.fed.us/

travel safe.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom vernon:
I looked up campgrounds and they are restricted to 30 ft in the park. I'm 34 so will have to figure something out. Tom

Yeah, the 30 ft limitation at so many nice places caused us to buy a 30-footer. However, it never hurts to give it a try. People do sneak in long quite often. As with a lot of enforcement, it often depends on who is having a bad hair day or not. Tell them you're 31 feet.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Garryp and Bill:
Thanks. I booked a campground through Xanterra that allows up tp 50ft rigs. It is in the CG Village and I found it on that nps site you gave me. $30. Thanks for the help, I can relax a little. Garry, are you saying 160 is the way to go (except for cattle) or are you saying it might have weather issues this time of year? Would you suggest 160 to I25 to Denver or 160 to 191 to I70 to Denver? Thanks for the help. Tom

Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Tom, we are in Cortez, Co. the past weekend and have been traveling on hwy 160, and will echo Gary's comment about Mesa Verde Nat Park, attended there today, very, very nice and interesting. The elevation around here is about 6500". Anne has rated Mesa Verde as the 2nd nat park behing yellowstone, and we have been to about 20 different national parks. There was a campground about 5 miles into the entrance of Mesa Verde, and some had elctcric. Of course if you are in that are, make sure you stop at Four Corners National Monument, well worth the trip. The temps here have been about 54 for the low and about 72 for the high. Take care and happy motoring. SKY

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Tom, any cold area can have weather problems this time of year. Just keep an eye on the weather forcast a couple day ahead. 161 should not have problems. Remember, you have your room with you!

I am working my way South toward home. I have been snowed on twice, in WY and CO, but it melted off.

I just looked out the window after my first cup of coffee. Make that snowed on three times! A light layer outside.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Yo, Sky, which way are you headed?

Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Gary, we are in Cortez, Co. now, we aregoing to Black Canyon of Gunnison Nat Park toda, the will probably go toward Great Sand Dunes Nat Park, then to Petrified Nat Park, then to Carlsbad caverns, the n back to ABQ for the baloon festival for a few days.
It is worth the drive from montrose, co. to the Sand Dunes Nat park? or have you been there? Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. In my opinion almost any drive in Colorado is worth the time. Doesn't get much better. The road from Mesa Verde east to Great Sand Dunes is especially nice.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Sky, sounds like you are dancing around me! I am heading home in SE AZ, planning on getting there in a week or so. I have been on the road since the first week of may. When I begin to like commercial parks with keep-you-warm-24/7 electric heat, always-there-electric-hot-water-24/7, without using my propane, I know it is time to take a breather at home. I do not think I am ready for full timing yet.

This is the first commercial, non-GAP place I have been all summer.

I will probably bend to the SW through Pagosa Springs, Durango, 4-corners then South through E AZ.

BTW, the drive from Durango to Silverton is great, then onward from Silverton to Ouray is white knuckle. The train from Durango to Silverton is nice too, if it is running.

Aw, shucks, the entire CO Rockies are absolutely fabulistic, as devolo pointed out. I spent the summer in SW areas I have not been before. I missed the Rockies!

When is the ALB ballon festival? I have wanted to be there for years! Never mind, I'll google it.

Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Gary I was noticing that you were in the area. We spent the night in Montrose and will go to Black Canyon of the Gunnison Nat Park today and then make our way down to Alamosa, Co, and go to the Great Sand Dunes Nat Park and then on to the Petrified Forest or
Carlsbad. Take Care Ray and Anne

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle