cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 75000
paint color: grey
size / dimensions: 32 ft
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

"...Classic Barth 32 ft motor home with an all aluminum body and Ford 460 gas engine. Top of the line with interior in excellent shape. 75,000 miles. Just got PA safety inspection sticker. Ready to go..."

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/rvs/5654843480.html

so, 460 Ford pusher on John Deere chassis..

have read the 2007 postings about overheating problems in gas pushers and wonder if any new options have come along in the last 8 years or so from owners of this config on this topic? the magic bullet, so to speak, for cooling probs/solutions..Smiler

parts and support still avail on this JD chassis also?

Mike W

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
maybe this one from back in April...?

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/5413984787

Mike W

seems dinette installation is forward of side entrance. Looking on the Regal 1988 brochure doesn't show that option.. but, suppose anything goes with Barth's eh.. Smiler

so this would be an SE 31A floor plan but w/ dinette instead of chairs and folding table?

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe this one from back in April...?https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/5413984787Mike W

Mike W, I noticed a mileage mistake, in the post you took the time to link. The mileage is stated as 83k and 75k. I did not notice the two statements on the mileage back in April. Is the owner confused or trying to hide something?
hmm

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This is a standard gas puller I believe. Somewhere in the records there was mention of a gas pusher, but this one lookes like the standard Regal puller setup.

The gas pushers do often have heating problems.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5177 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike W:

parts and support still avail on this JD chassis also?

Many late 80's- early 90,s Barth coaches were built on this chassis. It offered 18,000 lb. gvw over the 14.500 lb. gvw. of the GM chassis. They run a strait axel up front instead of the A arm GM set up. As far as I know they all run the C6 3 speed transmission. Parts do not seem to be a issue. This coach seams to be in right price range.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It is a front engine; the corner of the doghouse can be seen in one photo.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
he says mileage is about 85K... didn't ask about 2 different mileage postings in CL ads.. it does need new tires, he advised tire date was 2006 , bed in rear is side to side, not back towards front...

price is good but need to figure in new tires all around plus vehicle been sitting ( other than DMV yearly sticker trip) for about 2 years..so possible service needs..

data tag is 8810-3573-31J-A3
John Deere Date is 6/88
Barth date is 10/3/88

Mike W

where should I send the data tag pic to..a little cut off at the bottom..

posted Hide Post
Please send your photos to:

barth_upload.61972@uploads.photobucket.com

from an ordinary email and put "4sale" in the subject line exactly as you see it without the quotes.

Then send me a private message when you have sent the email.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
curious about the side to side 'full size' bed in the back of this coach..

Data tag shows 31J number..The 'J' is the floorplan, correct? haven't seen any regal brochures that list a side to side bed arrangement.

In looking at the 1988 Regal brochure, it shows a 2 twin bed option instead of a queen, back to front bed (both options are back to front orientation) in rear.

My question is, did they put the side to side double/full bed in there to expand bathroom or closet space as bedroom would be a little smaller with that orientation, allowing something forward of the bedroom wall to come back a little farther.. correct?

can anyone confirm the 'J' as this floorplan configuration? Anyone have this layout..

Guess the ultimate question is, if bedroom is same size then side to side could be modified to a back to front queen....ahhhh..maybe ..

just curious..

Mike W

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The 31J indicates a 31 foot John Deere. I think the floorplan is A3... Mine is "OB" (option B?) There are a few brochures showing standard floorplans but their are so many possibilities.

In the 28 coaches, the twin beds on each side were very common. Most larger coaches had a queen going front to back. It would be possible to rotate to side-side if desired. Perhaps this was done to get a longer bed, the "camper queen" they use is not as long as a normal queen.

My coach has the water tank under the bed and would not work well with twins.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5177 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
hadn't heard that term before, 'Camper Queen'..

found this statement which defines the
various sizes available:

"The most popular RV mattress sizes are:
Queen Short: 60"x75"
Three Quarter Size (also known as an antique size): 48"x75"
Twin Size: 38"x75"
RV King: 72"x80"
Regular Queen: 60×80.
Full Size: 53"x75"
Regular King: 76"x80" "

I have read of several folks who have added a few inches to the bottom of a forward facing (short queen I suppose) bed to work better for them..

Mike W

posted Hide Post
Good evening everyone. I may be going to take a look at this coach this weekend. I'm unfamiliar with Barths. I'm drawn to this coach because of its aluminum exterior construction. Are there specific things I should look for? Wear points? I noticed it doesn't have an awning. Are they difficult to install on the aluminum bodies. I'm a drag racer and looking for a reliable inexpensive coach that I can tow a car on an open trailer with to the races. How do the 460s pull compared to the 454 p30 chassis?

Posts: 2 | Location: Delaware | Member Since: 07-07-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
SST, might check this old thread..it has a checklist for buying... Good luck and let us know your impressions...

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/5621045161

Mike W

posted Hide Post
Went and looked at the coach today. Here are my observations:
- storage units had some rust in the floor plans that could be an issue in the future.
- speedometer was replaced at 70k, new speedometer had 4.4k miles for a little less than 75k.
- fan blower switch is broken in dash and switch panel is broken and loose in the dash.
- generator rolls over, but owner did not start due to low usage in the last few years because they would hook up to campground and it would most like need a tune-up. Therefore, we were not able to teat out any thing electronic in the coach.
- the master cylinder was recently replaced and the brakes felt spongy light they weren't bled properly. The coach also had a slight pull to the left. Steering wheel had to be at 1:00 position to steer straight. Could be alignment or dragging caliper?
- engine fired right up and ran well with full length headers. However, none of the gauges worked besides the speedometer. Tach worked in and out. The engine ran at 3,000 rpm at 55mph. Sounds kinda steeply geared, no?
- tires were 10 years old and were bought used.
- the owner seemed negotiable but hesitant on going lower than the cost of tires from asking price. As far as I concerned, it seems that the fact that the RV has been un used for 1 1/2 years means that I was unable to see everything function as it should. $7,500 may buy the coach but there are too many unknowns that could easily end up totaling over $10k in addition to my time. For that investment, I think I would be better off finding a functioning RV that is truly turn key, which is a shame because the Barths seem like a well built coach.

Posts: 2 | Location: Delaware | Member Since: 07-07-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post