Forums    Barth Sightings/Ads    Electric Odometer?
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electric Odometer?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
To Bill, Rusty and all. Looks like I should have
passed this add . I am truly sorry,it looked like a nice coach,the speedo thing is what got me thinking I had never heard of something like that happening. I will keep looking but not at this coach.Some time in the next year I hope to join the ranks of Barth owners. Again sorry for the post and THANKS for all the words of wisdom
wk

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
HEY, don't be sorry! no harm done -- quite the contrary. You started an interesting thread. It may be a great coach. You'll just have to accept that some of us are terribly cynical and skeptical Ooops .
I feel that I come by it legitimately, having handled property and casualty insurance claims for thirty some years.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
while I do NOT say this ad is legit or not, on our 95 White/GMC/Volvo semi truck we had an electric gremlin and one day while parked and idling the truck (for A/C), the gauges took off, they all pegged out, the speed needle raced round and round and the odometer added over 1000 miles. Talking about needing an exorsism. But it stopped when we shut the truck off. It done a few more entertaining things similar over the years, but yes, the digital odometer added miles without moving.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
M&D, we can perform the exorcism at the GTG in Indiana. Maybe the granddaughter of Mr. Barth can be the exorcist. Oh, wait--you'd have to bring the Barth and the Volvo--no problemo.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I too have seen electronic odometers move without a pulse signal.

I don't think there's a single person on this website that has any problem with the thread. Unless you're the dealer trying to sell it.

Not 300 hp, not a very honest or forthcoming dealer, not someone who I would trust with being forthright.

I mean really, who would say? "i already have a local offer of 13K .they came an inspected it .you can send some one or not your choice .

That being said, I love the paint scheme/colors, I like the floor plan, the 5.9 Cummins is a very decent diesel, looks clean.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
Hi All,
Realize I have not been on here in awhile. Sorry about that. No great excuses. Just busy with other stuff.
I too saw this coach on ebay...partly due to the fact that we have decided to sell our 93 Breakaway and so I was taking a look at what is out there. I see now that the auction for it has ended, so I assume he sold the coach to one of the bidders. Who knows for how much. Not a reputable seller though, as many have indicated.
I actually had a somewhat similar experience with my odometer once while driving it. It apparently shorted while driving, and the speedo and odometer both began adding on the miles (and speed) very quickly. Didn't know the coach could travel so fast! Anyway, I have seen that happen. But not the odo all by itself.
Our Breakaway is similar, and is in very nice shape (including recent new leather interior). We just have decided that it isn't going to get enough use from us.
I'll get some photos taken and get it in the coaches for sale section shortly in case anyone is interested in a very nice Breakaway with low miles. Some of you saw it at the Dec. 2010 Florida get together...before we did some of the improvements.
Best regards to all.
Vince

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Just to put this to rest. Chuck (the dealer)told me on tuesday I could have it for $13000. I never bid as I do not like the idea of buying sight un seen , I said I would try to come wed. When I could not I called wed AM and he said "I had a cash buyer yesterday. I said get them back I can't come until Sat. Perhaps he sold it for 13100 as that was the high bid although I was a bit suspicious of the bids I saw. I think I'd rather deal with someone a bit less slippery
wk

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, Vince's coach will be up for sale shortly - I've seen it, and it's a very nice one with a lot of extras.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty. By the way, I finally did meet Jon, the mobile mechanic you recommended to me when we first met. Very nice guy. I can see why you recommended him. Good to know he is available when needed. He was telling me the story of how they put your engine in. Very creative...digging the hole and all.
Take care.

Vince & Michelle
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
The PO of our Breakaway had similar type issues with the speedometer--in that he found he was traveling at excessive speeds while idling down the lane in front of his home.
The solution was to replace the odometer/speedometer-- which was set to the mileage of the coach's original speedometer. Although it was not my understanding that the odometer/speedometer was running while the coach was shutdown.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to find out how to get the odometer to add miles. great way to gain fuel milage.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was telling me the story of how they put your engine in. Very creative...digging the hole and all.

The hole John described was called "The Money Pit". Big Grin

There was nothing I had to correct after John and Mike finished the job.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hole John described was called "The Money Pit".

There was nothing I had to correct after John and Mike finished the job.

I guess it would have been a money pit...LOL. Oh well. Nothing good is cheap!
I'm not surprised about their work being spot on. Haven't met Mike, but Jon was very helpful and very thorough. Liked him right off, and again, appreciate your recommendations. They all paid off for me.

Vince & Michelle
Spartan Chassis

Picture of Mr. Jan Hawk
posted Hide Post
I purchased this Barth Sat.4-7-12.
The car lot guy (Chuck) was a straight shooter,not RV
knowledgeable,an easy deal was made.
Stored for 1 1/2 years it had the usual litany of needed repairs.
I have it pretty much ready for it's first road trip .
Hoping to meet w/previous owner soon for history and mileage
verification.The odometer roles around with a will of it's own.
Cummins 5.9/190 hp,Allison 4 sp.
Runs and drives well.
I still own my Barth 23 w/no immediate plans.
All the Best,
Jan Hawk

Posts: 12 | Location: ST.Petersburg,FL. | Member Since: 11-18-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Jan. glad you found the seller to be decent despite our skepticism. Now you can update your profile to show TWO Barth's.
I infer that you are in the diesel engine business. So, you will have the 5.9 @ 230hp soon I suppose (if is has a P pump)

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post