Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1978 Barth 28' - Maysville GA
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted
for $6500 on craigslist. 454 Chevy, 69000 mi, dual ACs, Onan genset, everything works.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/rvs/1843960712.html for phone number and pics
quote:
Very nice older Motorhome. 454 Chevy, automatic, runs great. 69,000 miles. Dual AC Units. Onan Genset. Everything works. Ready for camping or tour the USA. New Tires, Brakes. New Laminate Flooring. New Blinds on windows. New Carpet in Drivers Area. Lower section of RV has new paint. Barth was known for its Riveted Aluminum Aircraft Construction and was one of the most expensive motorhomes of its time. Very comfortable inside. Lots of accessories, remote spotlight, triple captains chairs, central Vacuum. For more information on these interesting Motorhomes, visit www.barthmobile.com $6500 price is firm. Please no scammers. Serious inquiries only. Ph: xxx-xxx-xxxx

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dang! I was 60 miles from there this morning. I'm looking for a travel trailer to serve as temporary housing at Deerlick while I get things done. An older Barth would do just as well...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Just 20 miles from Deb & Ed hmm

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I was sent some pictures and commentary about this coach. Copied and listed for your consideration. A 1978 with a bustle... Thumbs Up
quote:
New flooring in bathroom,
Toilet, shower, sink, and all plumbing works fine.

The Onan Generator starts right up, and provides enough current to run both overhead AC units with no problem.

It has a central Vaccuum, and even a remote spotlight overhead.

Everything works fine.
Vehicle was driven recently about 80 miles with no problems. The engine starts quickly and runs smooth. The tires and brakes were replaced in the last 5 years. Barth is ready to go.

$6500 firm
For more information, contact:
Bentley C. Bohanan <> Maysville, GA <> Phone: 706-652-2008 <> Email: bennypam@windstream.net

Notice the dual captains chairs on the passenger side.

Map of USA table is a conversation piece

New Laminate Hardwood flooring looks very nice. New carpet in drivers area also looks good.

I am sure it originally had a different table and chair set up, but the office chairs are comfortable and work fine. I put Polyurethane bumpers on the chair feet so they don't scratch the flooring.

Main Awning is very nice, probably replaced in the last few years. It looks like new.

Awnings all work, might need a little cleaning to look like new.

Here is the book I was telling you about

Fridge works fine on 120, for some reason the propane has apparently been disconnected.

Kitchenette

4 new blinds for windows,
Here is one berth.
Vehicle has 2 similar berths, and the couch makes a double bed, so it would sleep 4 comfortably.

Bathroom is in rear of cabin

70's wallpaper still in tact in shower

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Here's the second really nice older Barth in the last couple weeks for 65 hundred bucks. One in the west, this one in the east. I like the Colorado one a bit more, but this one looks just fine, and should be well worth the money.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
If we would not already be proud Barth owners this would sure be worth a closer look. Looks clean and well taken care of! Happy to see a nice older one.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
If anyone is considering taking the drive to see this unit or wants to know more about it, I did inspect it and drove it today.

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
My son is VERY interested in this unit......he's been on the phone & e-mails with seller most of the day....plans on driving the 600 miles for a look-see tomorrow......If you could PM me a contact #, maybe we can save him the trip, or tell him to drive faster.....

Thanks!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Just as a point of reference, The Data Tag on this unit indicates a length of 27'. Now we have concluded in the past that the bustle (or trunk) was not included in the length marketed by Barth. The bustle was an option and would increase the length by it's depth. I'm sure this unit would actually measure about 28.5' not including the bumpers.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
I sent a pm to Lee as soon as I saw this post. Tho the unit is advertised with 'new brakes', they were not functioning properly and were unsafe. I never met/talked with the seller: The coach was shown by a mechanic/friend, tho he did the cosmetic work + didn't know about the brake job. He was going to look at the 'power brake booster' today.

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested to know more about the brakes "not functioning properly". I've mentioned about 67 times the old rubber lines swelling shut and not allowing fluid back to the reservoir. If this is the case the brakes won't release quickly when you let up on the pedal. If they're soft and squishy it could be that they were not bled completely and there is still air in the lines. It takes a lot of time and a lot of fluid to bleed the system. The boost could be the culprit too. Finally, what were you expecting the brakes to feel like? If you thought they would be just like a new Class B or a car, then I'm sure you would be disappointed. These old coaches just don't lock 'em up at the touch of a big toe. An emergency stop makes "stand on the brakes" more than just a saying. confusion When I had my brakes done I had the wrench take it for a spin and he said they felt just fine, and after driving it for 5 more years I agree, but they sure weren't what I was used to in my pickups or the Bird.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Danny, you touched on a point that is very often over looked - the hydraulic brake lines. both rubber and steel. As an old car nut I know first hand of people that were very careful of their new brake linings and wheel cylinders but never gave a thought to the hydraulic lines. If your lines are over 15 years old they should be replaced. Many people pride themselves in knowing the date on their tires but haven't a clue as to the age of their brake lines. When one of them fails it can happen suddenly.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Another area that is often overlooked with hydraulic brakes/clutch actuated systems is the fluid itself. Each time you use your brakes, you introduce a small amount of moisture into the fluid, essentially it breathes. As the contamination increases you can suffer poor braking and deterioration of the inner lines due to the corrosive effect of moisture. I have also seen rubber lines begin to flake off small amounts of their lining which looks like pepper in the system.

It is smart to flush out the system with new fluid every few years. Additionally, check the pistons for free movement and seals for leaks.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
Another area that is often overlooked with hydraulic brakes/clutch actuated systems is the fluid itself. Each time you use your brakes, you introduce a small amount of moisture into the fluid, essentially it breathes.

There should be a flexible (accordian) seal in the top of the master cylinder that expands to fill the void where fluid level drops. This will keep air and moisture out.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
I have bled brakes etc before; the feel was not 'squishy'. I've owned several rv's, including a breakaway, and I am aware of what the brakes should feel like. Here is what the sellers' friend/mechanic wrote tonight: "It has a linkage system that allows the master cylinder to sit below the floorboard. One of the pivot points was sticking. I freed it up and lubed it, now the brake pedal returns properly."
I was hesitant to say anything because I wasn't sure; but a few years ago, I drove 700 miles with $$$ in hand to buy a 'great shape' Regal. When I pulled it out of the driveway, both the steering and brakes were awful. I had to overcorrect and after one or two blocks, turned around, put it back in front of the house, and started back home. 1400 miles for a 5 minute tour of a coach that was advertised as 'great shape, just out of shop, I would drive it anywhere, blah blah'. Anyway, a couple days later I receive a pm that someone else had gone the weekend before, driven it up to the interstate and parked it. Wouldn't even take it back. Just left it. But this wasn't stated on the site, so I didn't know. So on this coach, I just wrote that someone could contact me if they wanted more info.