Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Owner
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/10
Picture of Mac Gray
posted
I have enjoyed the barthmobile.com site for some time and today am pleased to report I am now an owner of a 91 Breakaway. Hope to make a trip to Florida soon (visit my daughter) and many many more road trips. Hope to see some you you on the road

Posts: 39 | Location: Seebert, Pocahontas County, WV | Member Since: 05-19-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard Mac. Looks like a nice unit.

There are a bunch of us in Fl, what part are you heading to?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Hey Mac,

Welcome to the forum. I'm just south of Roanoke, VA.

Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mac Gray
posted Hide Post
Corey:
Thanks for the response. My daughter lives in Fort Lauderdale so I will end up in the general area when I go down. Since I am new to all of this, I will be looking for and welcome all info I can get regarding this great lifestyle. I am especially interested in "good" places to stay, both long and short term.

Posts: 39 | Location: Seebert, Pocahontas County, WV | Member Since: 05-19-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Mac,

We do the Fl to NH, NH to Fl run annually and always go up I-81. From the map, it appears we go right by Seebert.

Our normal M.O. is to go night 1 to a Walmart or Cracker Barrel (most allow overnight RVs - we like Cracker Barrels the best). Night 2 a campground and so on until we arrive. We tend to decide along the route and let traffic/weather/mechanical issues dictate the pace. As we also try to travel in off-times (weekends, non holidays), we tend to have no trouble finding pull-throughs for our coach and trailer. Of course I could unload, but at that point Walmart will win!

We make sure our water is topped off and sewers emptied at each CG stop, that we we can last a few nights with full showers if we choose.

A word about free stays, Walmarts and CBs don't allow levelers or slides out (slides aren't an issue and the lots are usually level) Use generators very sparingly and think of any neighbors. Cheri and I usually use the genny just to make coffee. Try not to block travel lanes and park at the far extremes and leave yourself an out forward as people may park in front of you in the morning. Expect noise until things get late, for whatever reason idiot kids like to cruise through Walmarts with stereos blaring Violence

Cracker Barrels are a lot quieter and often in very scenic settings. I ALWAYS patronize the establishment, ask if it's OK to park and thank the manager for letting us stay. I even thank them for letting RVs stay when we're not staying, just to keep the door open. I've often thought car dealers should catch on to this, what a demographic for spenders!!!

Other than that, the route is awesome and the big decision is when to turn east. Honestly, I would wait as long as possible as the east coast is way less RV friendly in my experience. If you find yourself around Spring Hill in the later fall to later spring, give a call and stay at Casa Nobles with a free glass of wine to boot cheers

One more travel tip: I always try to stop on "the other side" of big cities when traveling, that way you are not fighting traffic into the city in the morning. Similar at night on weekdays, I'll try to time things to avoid the 4 to 6 PM exodus.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site Mac!!!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Mac, are you a ham radio operator?

Doug
W4JDZ

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
That photo made me nostalgic. In the Cold War years of the middle 1960s I was working in Washington, D.C., & we nearly bought a farm at Elkins, WV, about 75 miles north of Mac's place, looking for a family refuge in case the bombs started dropping.

The house behind Mac's coach looks a lot like some places we considered. Fate, or Divine Providence, however, took us back West shortly after that time. But that sure is pretty country.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mac Gray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
Mac, are you a ham radio operator?

Doug
W4JDZ

Yes Doug, I am W8LMG. In fact, one of my many challenges is to get "her" set up for HF mobile. I think I am going to move my Hamstick and FT-857 from the truck to the MH.
Thanks for noticing the tower...
Mac-W8LMG

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Mac--Ed K9DVC here, and welcome!

I have an IC 706 MKIIIG with a 33 ft vertical that I put up when stationary. While driving it is horizontal along the length of the coach but the top section is removed, I load it with an AH4 tuner and it works extremely well even when horizontal.

I also have 2 VHF/UHF rigs with a variety of antennas that we use for race communications during open road races.
At the beach

On the road race course, Nevada

Antenna horizontal supported 16 inch off the roof, even loads on 6M

My normal speed, no wonder I can't get better then 11 MPG

73s

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mac Gray
posted Hide Post
Ed:
The vert looks and sounds interesting. What mfg is it? I take it by your comments it loads 75 thru 6?
I have hamsticks for 75,40,20 and 17. Plan to also
install 2m on the passenger side, the hamsticks on the driver mirror. I use the LDG YT-100 tuner with the FT-897.
Thanks for responding to my post.
Mac-W8LMG

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does load all bands 75m-6m. It is a home-brew antenna. The support legs are long adjustable fiber glass paint poles so they don't effect loading or radiation pattern.

On the front passenger's side, I used the old cell phone antenna Motorola mount and cable for one UHF/VHF rig and then on the rear I have a 1/4 inch aluminum plate from the ladder where to the driver's side where I have a series of antennas used for UHF/VHF (16 ft Comet for fixed use and 6M/VHF/UHF tri-band for use while running) and the mounting base of the 33 ft vertical.

I'll take some pictures of the roof area for better idea of what I have.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mac Gray
posted Hide Post
Ed:
Thanks I would like to see pics of the ant and mount. My email is good on qrz if you would prefer to send them in lieu of posting on here.
Thanks again.

Mac-W8LMG

Picture of Mac Gray
posted Hide Post

Thanks Bill:
Here are the tags for the project.
Mac
91 30' Breakaway

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The GVW is odd - it's the same as my 28', and 2K less than the 30' Breakaways I'm familiar with...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post