Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

OR: 1981 MCC 35ft
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of JoshS
posted

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Seems like a great buy to me, how 'bout it, Yes man?

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
MCC's have their place in Barth history, but they are not Euro's, they are a completely different animal, although they both use a glass front end. From what I've read here the MCC is one of the finest riding-driving coaches ever made, but the original suspension was lacking in strength, requiring some upgrades that make it just about perfect.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3481 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
That is my understanding. . . And that chassis parts may be more scarce than any for Spartan, Gillig or Chevrolet... So much so that one might have to get things fabricated.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
MCC's have their place in Barth history, but they are not Euro's,

I edited the header.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There is one supplier who has parts, including suspension and brake upgrades.

http://www.motorcoachrestoration.com/

Motor Coach Corporation

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I can't answer about prices or availability, because I've not had any occasion to look into them. My impression from MCC Barth owners' posts is that prices are reasonable and results are excellent. Availability can be spotty.

The real concern is that the DD 8.2 is somewhat delicate, especially with regards to overheating.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
MCC's have their place in Barth history, but they are not Euro's,

I edited the header.

Lesson learned. Thanks

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
JoshS,

A heads up for you, another site for info and parts for an MCC is: www.rvsrepair.com

The owner of that shop is Jim Black. This guy has
a lot of knowledge about MCCs and worked on the production line. He also designed many upgrades for this model. He knows his stuff! Thumbs Up

Jim & Barb

1985 Barth Regency MCC 35ft

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb:
A heads up for you, another site for info and parts for an MCC is: www.rvsrepair.com

The owner of that shop is Jim Black. This guy has
a lot of knowledge about MCCs and worked on the production line. He also designed many upgrades for this model. He knows his stuff! Thumbs Up
Here is a quote from a trade publication dated 1/2001
quote:
End of the line. Even though the FMC motorhome was a product of outstanding engineering and loved by its owners, the company ceased its motorhome operation in 1976...

When production ceased, many of the 915 FMC motorhomes built were still under warranty, and the remainder required routine maintenance and logistics support. FMC kept its commitment to its customers and arranged with Jim Black, an FMC manufacturing executive, to set up an organization to service these coaches, which continues to this day. Black, who runs Recreational Vehicle Services,C1249, in Morgan Hill, California, holds the rights for FMCparts and even has all of the original tooling. Recreational Vehicle Services can, if needed, produce large parts, such as a new 29-foot fiberglass top.
He was instrumental when MCC was born and worked closely with Barth and designed many of the upgraded parts. He knows his stuff. Thumbs Up

http://www.fmcmotorcoach.com/files/FMCmag2001jan.pdf

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
http://www.motorcoachrestoration.com/ bought the rights for the MCC from Barth in the late 1980s and they are still in business and, also, still service and supply parts for MCC motorhomes as well as FMC motorhomes!!

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FordGuy62
posted Hide Post
In case anyone was wondering what became of the fine machine that kicked off this topic... well, my wife and I are the proud owners and I am newly registered to this site as of tonight. The MCC? We bought it in Portland, OR last week from a nice gentleman, I put $100 of diesel in it, and drove it home w/o incident (save for a few "white knuckle" moments due to sloppy steering and marginal brakes). I am presently investigating brake upgrades and steering/suspension repairs. When those are complete we plan to proceed with some interior upgrades/renovation, but nothing terribly radical. It's a pretty clean coach overall.

Posts: 40 | Location: Washington State | Member Since: 09-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FordGuy62
posted Hide Post
Oops, forgot to mention that "home" is just over 200 miles from the origin of purchase.

Posts: 40 | Location: Washington State | Member Since: 09-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new coach. Welcome to the sight. You will find great info on the MCC and the 8.2. DD.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FordGuy62
posted Hide Post
Thanks, the welcome is much appreciated. I'll be scouring the site for MCC steering and brake information. Where I work some of the guys have had a lot of experience with the DD 8.2; it isn't a favorite, but at the end of the day the sentimate is that it will most likely work fine for this application... just watch the coolant and keep up on the service.

Curiously, it looks like a former owner was collecting parts for a brake system upgrade. The parts were left in the lower storage area and consisted of some modified brackets and "Ford Cargo" dual piston calipers (I say Ford Cargo because that's what someone had marked them). Anyone familiar with this upgrade? IMHO the stock calipers and rotors look small for the application, and air over juice is, well... let's just say not my first choice.