Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
Does this look like a Breakaway?
http://www.robbinscampers.com/...actiontotake=showbig

Thanks
Wayne
Port Orange Fl
reformed treker

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 30' Breakaway.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
This one reminds me that I have always wondered why so few DPs have no rear window.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
With that wheelbase it looks like a 28 footer with the bed mounted port to strbrd. Note the bedroom awning at the head of the bed. Nice condition!
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Looks like a 30' Breakaway.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the overhang look big? Maybe it is the angle, I thought the rear wheels should be further back.

Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
With that wheelbase it looks like a 28 footer with the bed mounted port to strbrd. Note the bedroom awning at the head of the bed. Nice condition!
Don

I'm not sure the bed alignment is an indicator. The '91 Breakaway brochure shows both 28 and 30 footers with a fore and aft bed.

The placement of the sink, cooktop and fridge matches the 28 ft and one of the 30 ft floorplans in the brochure. However, to my eyes, the closet between the fridge and bedroom is pretty narrow, which matches up with the 28 ft floorplan. The 30 footer has a closet about as wide as the fridge.

Barths, of course are all over the map, but it seems that the Breakaways had less variation. Perhaps fewer floor plans were offered or fewer customs were made.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke:
Does the overhang look big? Maybe it is the angle, I thought the rear wheels should be further back.

Wayne

The 28 has a 145" wheelbase. the 30 has a 172 wheelbase. Assuming the front end was the same, the overhangs would be about the same, with a 24" inch difference between lengths and a 27" difference between wheelbases. It would be hard to see that 3" difference in a lot of photographs. Of course, considering overhang to length ratio, the 28 would appear to have a longer overhang.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Does my wheelbase make my overhang look big?

Sorry

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
LOL

My standard answer is, "It looks good on you, dear."

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep, it could be a 28'; hard to tell...but it looks less like a 30' than it did at first view.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
This looks like the twin of my previous 1991-28' Breakaway. The bottom rear exterior vent for the dash a/c. The closet size, the way the bed fits (distance to rear wall and closet, mine had the rear window also) and the couch fitting up against kitchen counter and drivers seat. I sold mine for $18,500 with new tires and about the same mileage. Don't know if that was good or bad but I was satisfied with it. It took 4 days to sell... so whatever that means. This one looks as if the paint is in a little better condition than mine. Great coach and easy to get around in. If it is the 160 hp they are a little underpowered... but still respectable.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Gerald, I find it interesting that you went from a Breakaway to a gasser.

Would you be so kind as to write a coupla thousand Smiler words on the differences, both plus and minus?

posted Hide Post
Gerald:
How did yours handle passing trucks and side winds. I see you grew 6 ft was the 28 too small?
Thanks
Wayne

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Well......actually to begin with I was just looking for a little more space, storage etc. and still affordable. I still liked the idea of a diesel and air brakes. When the Regal came up it met the space reguirements and had been very well maintained. No air brakes, but I liked the extra stability,comfort and braking power of the tag axle. This also provided air bags front and back which the Breakaway did not have. The Regal also has a gas genset vs propane on the Breakaway. Next would be although like some other folks I suppose, I came to the realization that I probably would not be doing the 10,000 mile a year journey's that I have always dreamed about.... probably closer to 4 or 5000. Also I will probably have the coach closer to 5-7 years rather than 10 -12 years, before I would upgrade to a little newer Barth....maybe Smiler
In my case the diesel IMHO wouldn't really offer me any great cost savings. Although the Regal is 6 foot longer it is only about 4,000 lbs heavier than the Breakaway. The 454 seems to have more power than the 160 hp 5.9 (the engine in the back is still a nice plus however) The PO of the Regal installed some type of insulation in the doghouse so I am surprised at the noise level .... can talk in a normal voice and be heard quite well. but you do still have to walk around,over it.

I am sure there are others who could describe the pros and cons a lot better than me but it basically came down to(as far as engines go) I am more familiar and comfortable with a gas. I was always worried that if something went wrong with the Cummins I wouldn't know where to look, or where to start looking. Not to mention the expense of parts. At least with the gasser, if something happens there is a much better chance that I will be looking at the right place and have a little more to say than "Ah...I dunno" when the mechanic shows up Big Grin

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine's a 28', and being a '94, is about 10" taller than the predecessors. I get a slight nudge by passing trucks. Crosswinds are hardly noticeable up to around 30-35 mph.

As I've mentioned before, in a brisk and gusty crosswind, "I have to drive it, but I don't have to fight it."

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke