Tools
Reply To This Topic

Trolleys are back with disclaimer
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
The trolleys in WI are back, but apparently they have some corrosion problems. As these trolleys serviced Lake Geneva, WI, they represent what similar era Barths would look like if they were actually driven in the snow and salt. Most Barths get to live a much more cushy life thankfully, but it is interesting to see what nature can do in the north when allowed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...0789906533QQptZBuses

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I think steel-skinned trolleys have very little in common with the Barth history we all appreciate. They
were manufactured during Barth's end-times desperate days, and I doubt that the QC corporate culture of
earlier times existed then...Kinda like the once-mighty Chrysler Corp and their K-car fiasco of the '70's Frowner

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these steel? I couldn't tell from pics, but you are probably right. Then again, my aluminum Barth was starting to show the same kind of corrosion.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are these steel?

I assumed so.....From the eBay listing:

"The exterior of the trolleys, unfortunately, were oxidized wear the galvanized steel panels were fastened to the structure (metal) with most likely metal screws. This was how they were built in the 1990's, and unfortunately, when you put galvanized up against metal, you get corrosion."

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
were oxidized wear the galvanized steel panels were fastened to the structure

when I dismantled my coach I found a couple of pieces of sheet metal that were coated with some sort of bonded finish similar to "Bethenamel" or "galvalume" or some name like that which was a paintable galvanized steel. These pieces were aluminum. Maybe the trolley person misidentified the metal.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dick, I think the seller mis-identified the metal. Close inspection of the photos makes me believe it's aluminum for the most part, lots of rivets (steel can be riveted too though). The corrosion looks identical to what was happening on my old 97 Barth, paint lifting from the panel with a white powder underneath. My experience with steel is that the steel rusts right through and "Bubbles" the paint in pinpoint spots or around an edge. Steel rusts to a red oxide versus the white. Aluminum seems to spread the problem more horizontally across the panel as it oxidizes.

Anyone got a magnet?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
They had three. Someone purchased one on the first eBay listing....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post