Barthmobile Portal
Fiat Toad burned up.

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6141087061/m/1523949387

11-25-2014, 06:29 AM
Danny Z
Fiat Toad burned up.
Recently an unfortunate RVer had their Fiat 500 toad burn. Luckily the class C was saved. Doug drove past the scene and said the front wheels looked to be the center point of the fire. Any opinions from you 4 downers?

79 Barth Classic
11-25-2014, 10:38 AM
RainCatcher
A couple of years ago just after purchasing our Breakaway, I was towing a Saturn Vue that came with the coach 4 down and forgot to release the emergency brake on the Saturn. If a friend hadn't been following me and spotted smoke coming from under the car just after we took off and stopped me I suppose the toad could have caught fire. I am very careful now about releasing the emergency brake.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis
11-25-2014, 11:12 AM
MWrench
After I found out that the early model Jeeps (<1986) can not be 4 down towed, I came across numerous articles about fires that resulted after the transfer case overheated and caused fires.

In my case, I was using the early model Jeep transfer case (Dana 300) in my Amigo V6 conversion because it is a right side drop. Where most say that one should not tow early model Jeeps more than 200 miles, I towed my Amigo 6000 miles before the rear output bearing of the transfer case seized, It was HOT for sure! I had over filled the case with oil which probably prolonged the inevitable!

I didn't do my homework before the conversion, just assumed that because there were so many Jeeps being towed, all Jeeps could be towed.

I have head of other fires that resulted because the driver either left the emergency brake on or left the car in gear. I am sure that some fires have resulted in people trying to tow 4 down and the tow vehicle could not be towed that way.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater