Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    hot water heater works - sometimes!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

hot water heater works - sometimes!
 Login now/Join our community

<therealtigger>
posted
Since it looks like I'm going to have a lot of newbee questions I guess it's time to identify myself technically. I'm a 67 year old retired computer programmer and DIYer of the female variety who has just bought an 1985 31ft Barth and am planning on living in it for 8-18 months while playing general contractor at my new house. I can speak simple electric, know plumbing better than I ever wanted to, and can do really simple engine repair, but I have to admit that the wairdness of how it's all structured in an RV
somtimes gives me pause.
ANYWAY, todays problem is that I tirned on the hot water heater switch at the main console board but for the first couple of days had no hot water. (went outside the first day and felt the tank and it was cold.) But yesterday for no apparent reason, it was working and I had lovely hot water. Last night a light was on that said 'hot water' in the console board. It was the first time I had seen it on. I later turned the hot water switch off to save gas. Now when I turn it on it won't heat the water again.
I HAVE NOT TURNED ON THE ENGINE DURING THIS CYCLE. I HAVE been running the rear space heater which works just fine.
CAn I blame electronic ignition for this? I
have had problems with losing the 12 volt lights down the door side of the coach, which I just haven't had time to play with - could the electroc ign control be looked into this circuit? Is the elect ign on a DC circuit? I guess it would have to be or you couldn't get hot water in the boonies. Does anyone have something that passes for a schematic on this
baby? If not I may end up putting on together just for my own sanity and maybe we could pass it on to the next poor bewildered newcomer.
thanks for reading,
Rusti

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Well Tigger welcome to the crowd of learners.

At first glance when you first tried to turn on the WH it sounded like you were not getting gas. I am sure that you have checked the gas level. So next is that since the water heater is usually the farthest away from the tank so some times you have to flip the switch a couple times to get the gas out there, thus the light coming one. The light comes on when the igniter is swithing but there is not gas to ignite. (I am open to correction on this). So if you are not getting a flame but no light then it is an current problem. But the first thing to check is if you can hear the clicking sound of the igniter when you turn the switch on. If not then you have a current problem. Now almost all of the offending elements are in a single circuit board that repair guys change all the time. I have an '85 and had to have mine changed last year. I think around $100 but the new ones are suppose to be much better than the old.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusti,
If you've lost your lights it could be the heater is fed from the same source. Check your breakers under the couch and get the lights on and just maybe the heater too. There are three wires coming into your water heater. Brown- 12v pos; Blue- "non ignition" lite; and Green- the neg. side of the 12v with the brown. Get a tester and make sure you have 12v at the water heater with the switch above the door "on". If not, this switch could be bad. If you do have 12v, hook the 12v brown wire to the other brown wire.. this bypasses the thermostat. If it starts to burn, but the flame acts weird or cuts out, you probably have the dreaded "Spyder nest in the burner tube" syndrome (clean it out'a there). On the other hand, if nothing happens, it's most likely the electronic board... buy a dinosaur brand replacement.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
When the water heater light comes on, it denotes a problem. It has gone through its lighting sequence unsuccessfully. Switch it off and let it reset and try again a few times. Check your LP gas level. Also, check for spider webs and dirt daubers clogging up the burner tube. If all else fails the circuit board has given it up. Camper's Choice has the best price that I have found on a new board. They don't list them in the catalog. They will even Fedex them to you. Good luck

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post