Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wood Screws???
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wood Screws???
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi all,

I have a 1973 22' Barth. I am planning to remove my cabinets to refinish or paint them, but I just noticed they are fastened with a wood screw that has an odd shaped head. It requires a bit I have never seen before. Anyone out there run into this problem before? Any idea of what the screwdriver head or bit required is called? I don't even know what to ask for at the hardware store.

Thanks

Cory Gillard

Posts: 6 | Member Since: 05-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
If it has a square hole in it, there is a special driver for it and that can be found at any hardware, RV or auto parts store. A phillips head screw driver will remove it unless it is really tight. Once removed, you can take it down to the store and get the correct driver, they come in different sizes although I believe one size is all you need. I don't recommend using the phillips head more than absolutely necessary. You can ruin the screw and the driver. If you can't get one out, I believe most RV parts stores will have the correct driver for you.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are removed with "clutch bits" #2. Your hardware store will likely have them.

We just finished removing our cabinets on our 1973. My wife painted them white. They turned out great. We rehung them with the same screw as they are they are the correct length.

Jim

Posts: 20 | Location: Okauchee, Wisconsin 53069 | Member Since: 12-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Barths vary, but all my interior screws are square (Robertson) drive. They have a square recess in the middle of a phillips hole. Some of them have just the square hole.

The only clutch head screws on my coach are mounting the exterior grab handle. They have a recess that looks like a bow tie, or two pie slices touching at the points.

http://www.skywaytools.com/Clutchhead.html

A picture of your screw might help us or the hardware store help you.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Odds are those are Robertson screws, common to the RV & boating world. Their advantage over Phillips head screws is the square drive is less likely to slip. & chew up the hole so badly you can't get it out. The combination square hole with notches for a Phillips drive works best with a square driver. Don't ask me how I know.

Be sure you use the correct size driver. If it's too big it won't fit. If it's too small you'll chew up the hole. Your local hardware store has bits, but probably not drivers with handles.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
Odds are those are Robertson screws, common to the RV & boating world. Their advantage over Phillips head screws is the square drive is less likely to slip. & chew up the hole so badly you can't get it out.

I find the best feature of the Robertson is the ability of the screw to stay on the tip when installing the screw. The advantage of magnetism is lost on brass screws.

My favorite screw recess is hex. It has better grip than other head designs and will stay on the tip better than any. Its main advantage, however, is that it can be used with the driver on an angle, if you have a set of ball ended Allen drivers.

Anyone ever used the execrable Tri Wing screws?

May you never. That is the most classic example I have ever seen of engineering ignorance. Surpassing the Chauchat, even. I find it amazing that the same engineering culture that produced that misbegotten abomination could produce such engineering elegance as the Citroen.

And that, folks, is our thread drift for the day. Smiler

Also, if anyone has revarnished inside, be very fastidious about removing as much varnish as you can from the screw head recess. I use a jeweler's screwdriver. The Robertson tips have a slight taper, and require penetration to full depth for proper gripping. Anything less then full penetration can result in rounding-out the hole. I like to throw removed brass screws in a little Skydrol or brake fluid before reusing.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the prompt responses. I am from Canada and very familiar with Robertson screws, these are not it. I will try and find them on the web and post a picture. I am pretty sure they are "Clutch Bits" as referenced in a previous post. Thanks again.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I tried to post a 1.66 KB .jpg of a clutch head screw recess from "My Documents", and got the following message:

"There was an FTP (file transfer) error. The detail is 'Upload to '/testdir/test.txt' failed. Detail: '552 Transfer aborted. Disk quota exceeded ''."

Any computer literati out there know what I am doing wrong?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got the same message when rying to upload a .jpg file that as too big (I picked one I hadn't reduced to acceptable size...)

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I got the same message when rying to upload a .jpg file that as too big (I picked one I hadn't reduced to acceptable size...)

Do you have any luck with a smaller file? My teenie-weenie 1.66 KB file didn't work.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Photobucket finally started working.

Does this drawing of a clutch head screw help?

posted Hide Post
Bill h is right on the money with his drawing. Thanks. Now I know what I am asking for anyway.

Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
in looking for these, Wikipedia has a great page depicting all of these bits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

-Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog
http://73Barth.blogspot.com

Posts: 39 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Member Since: 01-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
bill what an artist
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I don't know about SOB's but Barthers know about Robertson drives I'm sure. I know I've turned hundreds of them.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post