Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rear alignment on 92 Gillig Chassis
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rear alignment on 92 Gillig Chassis
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
Well, I have been absent from the site for a while and miss it alot. I have recently retired but more important, my computer has been dieing a slow death. This has restricted my access to everything since loading webpages is painfully slow. Viruses were scrubbed and are not the problem. My new MAC will arrive tomorrow. I hope this post actually makes it to the website.

Here is my chassis problem. I started to notice uneven wear on my front tires and aske my RV repair guy to check it out. He discovered that the rear control arm bushings were shot and the arms themselves were rusting badly. He had all of my chassis info and went to Gillig to get the parts. After a couple of weeks of going back and forth Gillig informed him that the part was no longer produced and that they did not have any in stock.

We are now looking at removing them and sending them out to a local frame/suspension shop to match them up with something else on the market.

As we are still working on the problem, I don't have much to report right now.

If anyone has suggestions as to where these control arms (4) might be found, please reply. I may need to have them custom made.

More info will follow.

Bull G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I called Gillig about front sway bar bushings and they had them shipped two day express to me. My 1993 is probably the same chassis. I suggest calling Gillig directly and talk to Rick Martinez in Parts. He found my coach, which, like yours, is a Gillig Phantom Bus Chassis and in a matter if minutes I had everything I needed. You do need the vin or at least the last four numbers for him to find the right schematics. The Phantom was made for over twenty years and they still support hundreds of bus fleets. My uneven wear was caused by the sway arm bushing, not control arms and we changed them with a small bottle jack and two 3/4" open end wrenches. Problem solved!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I was on the phone numerous times over a one week period, chasing numbers and chassis info. In the end, Gillig said the part was no longer available.

My mechanic went to his parts distributor and matched up the components and then built the torque arm and the control arm in his shop. He then realigned the rear end and also did an alignment on the front end as well.

The coach drives better then I can remember. I think this problem existed from the day I bought the coach and simply deteriorated until I finally noticed the irregular wear on my front tires and checked the alignment.

My coach is a 92 Regency on a gillig chassis with a little over 95K miles.

I don't know if this is unique to my coach or not, but those with Regency's might want to check their control and torque arm bushings.

Even though Gillig could not supply the parts, the pieces to build new arms was readily available.

I am back on the road and looking forward to the upcoming camping season.

Bill G.

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post