Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    furnace installation
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

furnace installation
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I know, i know...it's July!! But i just got my Barth and it came with a furnace, uninstalled. I've got the air intake to the outside of the Barth, the wiring harness pigtail is ready inside. Where is the propane line for the furnace? Also, there is flex ducting to the left, under the sink, of where the furnace would sit. I see that hooks up to one side of the unit. What about the other side, is it for ducting to run to the front? The furnace came with a flush mount louevered vent which would slide into one of the vent holes.

73 Barth 23 ft
Chevy 454 factory propane
116k miles, rear double bed

Posts: 23 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Member Since: 07-09-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I've had 2-24' SOBs, different makes, both of which had only one furnace outlet. Perhaps your 23' Barth is set up that way too. If the flex duct leads to an outlet near the center of the coach, that may be the case.

If you you can figure a way to install a second outlet, you will, of course, have better heat distribution.

My rear furnace has several round flush-mount vent outlets with louvers that can be rotated to direct the heat. If that's the kind of vent you're talking about, installation should be fairly simple, though you need to duct the heat to the outlet.

If it is obvious where the furnace belongs, but the propane supply line isn't right there, you need to trace your propane lines. If you need a branch line installed for the furnace, I suggest you have a professional do it. Propane requires flared fittings, & it isn't easy to get them to seal with do-it-yourself-type tools. Been there, done that.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I don't know the rules in British Columdia but here in Ontario a full test by a certified LP technician is required if any work is done on the system. Tank, lines, fittings, fridge, stove, furnace, hw heater and everything to do with your LPs operation must pass their tests.
Cost me an extra $120.00 for the test on top of the cost of the new regulator for the hw heater!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MGmobile:
I know, i know...it's July!! But i just got my Barth and it came with a furnace, uninstalled.
Doesn't fall starts in less than a month "up-thar, eh"? Big Grin Better hurry up!
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara
I don't know the rules in British Columdia but here in Ontario a full test by a certified LP technician is required if any work is done on the system. Tank, lines, fittings, fridge, stove, furnace, hw heater and everything to do with your LPs operation must pass their tests.
Is there some special tag, seal or badge that they put on the furnace? How would anyone know that you worked on it? Do they also require a re-certification after so many years too?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Make sure that you have sufficient ducting on the output of the furnace. It should have a listing for how many square inches of output area in needed. This will be important to make sure the heat is transfered away from the plenum chamber and it doesn't over heat the furnace.

Can't help with the gas line issue, all are different.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Yes there is a tag which gives date of service, service agent's certification number and name of servicing co. This is put in the compartment where the tank fill is. This is a comprehensive safety test of the whole LP system after work done by a licensed LP service outfit.
If you want to install your own stuff I guess your on your own.
We have natural gas furnace and hw heater in our home and we have a similar type of compliance tag on the main gas line in the basement.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara
Is there some special tag, seal or badge that they put on the furnace? How would anyone know that you worked on it? Do they also require a re-certification after so many years too?[/QUOTE]

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post