Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    DIDN'T GET BACK
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

DIDN'T GET BACK
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
Left rally park Friday noticed when I started engine front air pressure was slow getting to pressure.warning lights went off got to 100+.we left the campground 1/2 way home front warning light came on went to 25 lbs.still had rear air at 100 lbs .shifted into 3rd gear pressure rose to 50 lbs kept driving got it to to a storage area next to a mechanic who could fix it .got friends to drive us home.We went back picked up things needed at home .Have to take another trip to Tampa.next weekend maybe. (Frog Creek)
WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENED?
LENNY

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
My first impression is a leaking front air-bag.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stratosurfer:
My first impression is a leaking front air-bag.
Same here... sounds like it could be a leaking airbag.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks I will soap it later lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound like an air bag. Usually the dual front/rear gauge indicates air pressure in the front/rear braking systems. Air bags generally don't have any sort of pressure indicator and are normally sourced off a separate partition in the main air tanks.

Unless you know how to deal with air brakes, get it to a mechanic to find the leak.

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mike - according to Gillig and my mechanic it is almost never the bags - it is usually the fittings on the air lines or other connected devices - FYI, I found the air operated wiper switch on the dash was leaking slowly and that deflated the bags, caused the accelerator pedal and transmission shift not stop working, and the step to not deploy. Once the engine started and the compressor was working it overcame the leak and things returned to normal. Sprague Devices made the air operated wipers and they have rebuild kits for the valves that replace a leather membrane inside the switch. To test this you can start the engine and just rock the wiper knob for each wiper slightly and see if you hear air leaks. If so you need the kit.
Good luck.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
On a truck, when an airbag blows, we have a psi protection valve that keeps air psi up in the system to 60-70lbs. The psi protection valve is designed to allow one to limp off the road.

He did find out that it was not the airbag in another post.

Not the airbags.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill, This sounds a little weird to me. I was under the impression that the front brake system had its own chamber in the air supply tank(s), the rear brake system had its own chamber in the air supply tank(s) and the suspension air came from a separate, third system along with distribution for the air throttle and other air accessories, with each protected by one-way valves. On my coach, all four airbags could blow up and the pressure to the brakes will stay wherever they were before the blowouts - usually up to 120lbs.

The dual air gauge on my dash indicates pressure in the front and rear brake systems with separate needles that vary from 90 - 120 as I use the brakes.

I have no idea (I've never measured it) what the pressure is in the air bag system - only whether or not the coach is at the correct height and level and there's nothing hissing at me.

The brake chambers fill first, then the third chamber is allowed to take on air after the brake chambers hit 90 lbs.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have never seen a dash gauge vary because of airbag problems.

One more thing I'd like to comment on is if the airbags in any way affect the pressure in the brake system - that's a serious design defect.

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Relative:
I was under the impression that the front brake system had its own chamber in the air supply tank(s), the rear brake system had its own chamber in the air supply tank(s) and the suspension air came from a separate, third system along with distribution for the air throttle and other air accessories, with each protected by one-way valves. On my coach, all four airbags could blow up and the pressure to the brakes will stay wherever they were before the blowouts - usually up to 120lbs.
100% correct!
quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that I have never seen a dash gauge vary because of airbag problems.
You psi cutoff valve is designed to at least maintain around 70 psi.

Now, if the airbags are blown out the brake system will stay at 100-120 but only until you step on the brakes a couple of times. If the air escape rate exceeds the build rate, at this stage, the entire brake system will maintain 70psi. Still enough to limp off the road. Every time the foot brakes are depressed, the airpsi will go down in that side of the system to at least 70 psi. This is what the design of the low psi cutoff valve is for.
quote:
One more thing I'd like to comment on is if the airbags in any way affect the pressure in the brake system - that's a serious design defect.
Here you go... the crux of the issue. If you know that your air system will at least maintain enough psi to allow your brakes to stay released, you'll...

A) Drive it down the road? Now at 70psi you have enough to release your brakes, you have enough to stop but at a longer distance because your psi is down.

B) Wait for road service or a tow truck? The buzzer and light are going off telling you not to move.

At this stage it becomes more of an operator defect as opposed to a design defect.

air system pdf

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
quote:
we left the campground 1/2 way home front warning light came on went to 25 lbs.still had rear air at 100 lbs .

That's the catch in the note at the start of this thread. Getting down to 25 lbs. should never have happened. That air protection valve that stops allowing air to enter that third chamber looks to have failed. Now, if Lenny has the air leak fixed, that valve is still bad waiting to bite him again. Agree?

Mike
2005 Wrangler pusher,

posted Hide Post
I DON'T KNOW WHY THE GAUGE WENT TO 25LBS. .I thought front brakes would apply at 65 lbs .I also had a bad line going to the air bags and a small something that was loose in the air release switch
a wire was loose.Doesn't the front brakes apply when air hits 65 lbs?

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
Doesn't the front brakes apply when air hits 65 lbs?
The steer axle will not apply if you have low/no air psi. The ramifications of a locked up steer axle would force an accident to happen. Only the drives would lock up as those positions have maxi brake chambers on them.
quote:
That air protection valve that stops allowing air to enter that third chamber looks to have failed. Now, if Lenny has the air leak fixed, that valve is still bad waiting to bite him again. Agree?
I agree, there are still other issues waiting to sneak up on him.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
Lenny,

The best advice I could give in your situation is for you to get thoroughly familiar with the air system on your chassis - especially the brake portion. An excellent way to start is with the Florida CDL Handbook - pick one up at your local Dept. of Motor Vehicles or you can view Florida's online at

http://lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/cdl/en

Section 5 deals with brakes. (Every state has essentially the same info in their CDL handbooks.)

If you don't have the chassis manual for your coach, you might try Spartan and see if they can supply one for you based on your chassis number.

Now that you have your air bag leak fixed, carefully do the steps in chapter 5.3.3 of the CDL manual. (These should be done with some regularity by anyone with an air system.) You should also gain some better understanding of the operation by going through the steps.

The next is to have a qualified mechanic go over the air system to verify all the valves are working - and this is only because, right now, I really think you might have a problem with one or more of the check valves based on that 25 lb reading you got. Carefully explain it to him and get his opinion. The bad part is this could be an intermittent failure. However, those valves are cheap to replace.

One more note of caution, if you decide to get under the coach and fool with the air system, it can drop on you suddenly if you disconnect or damage the wrong thing - especially if you are just laying on the ground under the chassis. A pit or good jackstands are a necessity - especially for us amateurs.

Mike
2005 Wrangler pusher,

posted Hide Post
Lenny,

Sorry, but one more step. In your case a final verification would be to leave the brakes alone and dump the air from the suspension. If that gauge again drops to 25 lbs doing this, get it fixed.

Mike
2005 Wrangler pusher,

posted Hide Post
thanks guys took it to the mec today leaving in 10 days want it wright. lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B