Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Paint Codes, Tag
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Paint Codes, Tag
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know if Barth located a paint code tag somewhere on their coaches? Our documentation binder indicates the paint on our 97 Monarch is Sikkens but includes no other information on the paint system used, colors, or codes.
Thanks,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
With 15 year old paint, the odds of the factory code matching up are pretty poor. Take it to a good automotive paint store and they can shoot it with an spectrometer and give you a decent match.
As your Barth is painted in sections that are pretty small overall, consider masking off and painting the entire section so as to not worry about exact matching. No one will ever be able to tell from one side to the other.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Thanks Corey,

Good advice, I was thinking for rivet touch-up and possibly the panel under the fuel filler.

Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It won't be critical for small touch up, but aluminum preparation requires different primers. Again, very smart to ask the pros at your local automotive paint store.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Here's an idea I'm getting ready to try on my coach.

With a family, I don't want to spend a large amount if possible on the coach. My Regal has lost some of the paint on the front end cap, mainly in the striping area. I believe it was painted with IMRON by the 2nd owner. Since it is only on the front clip, I went to one of those shops that does the vehicle wraps. I had them color match and make me a piece of self-adhesive vinyl,12 inches wide and 12 feet long to go from one side to the other over the area where the paint chipped off (cost $75).

If money was no object, I would go ahead and have it repainted. Once the weather warms up, I'll install and let you all know how it works. I'm hoping it will be an economical way to make the coach look a little better.

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I found my paint codes on the under side of the dash access cover. I agree that after years the original paint will fade or discolor but the numbers are a good starting point for a paint shop to mix up a match.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's an idea I'm getting ready to try on my coach.

With a family, I don't want to spend a large amount if possible on the coach. My Regal has lost some of the paint on the front end cap, mainly in the striping area. I believe it was painted with IMRON by the 2nd owner. Since it is only on the front clip, I went to one of those shops that does the vehicle wraps. I had them color match and make me a piece of self-adhesive vinyl,12 inches wide and 12 feet long to go from one side to the other over the area where the paint chipped off (cost $75).

That's a neat idea for a temporary fix. I'd caution that any vinyl product will last only about 1/4 of paint. You will want to peel it off and replace it before it UV degrades to a point that it will crack into many pieces. Then it's a bear to get off. I'm currently trying to remove the clear mask on my Wanderlodge that was left on too long and is a gooey mess.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I think you're exactly right...that's a great point....I was hoping that with keeping the coach in the garage that it might last 10 or so years....by then we'll be ready to trade up to a pusher diesel and pass this on to the next young family....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida sun probably exacerbates the UV factor by X3

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
When removing vinyl heat is your friend. I use a drapery steamer to remove old vinyl from vehicles. You can pick up a steamer for about $30 at Lowes.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are an expert SD, what is the typical lifespan of vinyl in the weather?

Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Corey,
It really depends on the type of vinyl and the brand. There are some cheap vinyls that are only rated for 2 years outdoors. I use Avery and 3M high performance films which are rated for 6-8 yrs. If there is a laminate over the vinyl it will last longer.

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
That being said... I did the doors of a wreck truck over 10 yrs ago and it still looks good.

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My 2002 Freightliner Service Truck (built in mid 2001) is used in all weather and the vinyl has held up nicely. Not a bad option...

All of my vinyl is highly reflective - like you would see on a firetruck.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess that the lifespan of vinyl, rubber, fabric, and the like is directly proportional to the distance from the equator. The sun here in Florida is exponentially more powerful than the sun I recall in NH. The flatter terrain, the distance from the equator and the perpetual clear skies mean that the above products will probably last a third of what they would up north. Then again, so will paint suffer just as harshly.

I'll still take the sun's abuse over daily Calcium Chloride baths. I'm still in awe at how clean my vehicle's undercarriage stays down here. Ten year old screws come out like they were put in yesterday.