Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fluid Level on Allison 6-Speed
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fluid Level on Allison 6-Speed
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
I just returned from a 400 mile trip and noticed, for the first time, a burp of transmission fliud come out of the breather hole at the front of the tranny. When I checked the fluid level on the dipstick, it appears to be overfilled. When cold and idling, the level is half up the hot range. Should I pump out some fluid or just leave it as is? The fluid is clean and clear. The only problem I've ever noticed on the tranny is that when it downshifts all the way to 1st gear, sometimes it will slip a little before it catches ---- otherwise it has been flawless.
I have a 94 Regency 34 ft with the Cummins 300HP setup.
I know that in the auto world, it's not good to overfill the tranny, but I'm not aware of any serious problems caused by overfilling. I'm not very practiced on the these big rigs, so I thought it smart to ask the pro's before making a decision.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Lower the level to the correct height. If Allison recommends a certain height, who are we to second guess that? They designed the system, so follow their level recommendations.

Problems you can have by overfilling...
1) you'll cause seals to leak.
2) your vent tube will seep fluid.
3) you can cause air bubbles and foaming of fluid. You can compress air bubbles easier then fluid. Proper psi readings will flucuate with foaming of fluids.

And above all... Make certain that you have the correct dipstick!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Bill, I just pumped 3qts of tranny fluid out of my unit to bring it into the proper cold range. When I drove it around the block for a test drive, I could tell a noticeable difference in the smoother shifts. I hope it hasen't been damaged. I have owned this Barth for about a year and drove it all the way to CA from FL this past summer without any problems. I purchased it from a Lazy Days dealer near Tampa. They really bragged about their service dept but I found several other things that weren't done like greasing the chassis.

If you want it done right, you must do it yourself. But this big rig is a real test of my skills, equipment and capability.

Thanks for your help!

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post