Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need an engine , what to do
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need an engine , what to do
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted
It is with sad heart I have to say my 460 bit the dust. I need to replace the engine.
I am trying to decide next steps.

28ft 460 with 60k miles
This vehicle had the engine replaced at 38k miles so there is only 20k miles on the engine.

Replaced tires recently $2k
Just replaced both rear air bags and rear brakes.$1k
I live at the beach and I am seeing effects of the corrosion so I know replacing the engine will have complications due to this and not sure what other damage I will find...

Questions
How is 460 replaced.. Out the window or can I drop thru the bottom....

What is a running 1990 28ft Barth worth
What is a NON running 1990 28ft.barth worth

Looks like I can get a Remanufactured 460 for $2k
Labor ??? Not sure I want to tackle this myself...

I am attached to my Barth like most Barth owners are but I am beginning to think I may have to cut my losses and start the hunt for another Barth
What do you think....
Thanks
Ray

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I am really curious as to how this engine died with so few miles. Does it have a cracked block? I have a 1950 Studebaker with the original 6 cylinder engine in it. I am totally curious why so many gas powered motorhomes need new engines after so few miles.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
I am totally curious why so many gas powered motorhomes need new engines after so few miles.

They work really hard. They sit a lot.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am totally curious why so many gas powered motorhomes need new engines after so few miles.

I could spend a lot of time on that subject, but I am really focused on what to do now that the engine is kaput....
Thanks
Ray

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Ray, the reason I asked is to help you diagnose the problem for the solution. If you have a cracked block, the answer is going to be far different than if you have low oil pressure. Give some details. Your original question is akin to " I don't feel good, what should do?"

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray, I just replaced my 460 with a 511 stroker motor, The 460 John deere chassis is probably the easiest front engine Barth to replace.

I was able to remove the motor out the front, if you p.m. me your email I can send you loads of pictures.

I would love to put them up on the site but every time I try I screw something up so I gave up. head bang

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
quote:

They work really hard. They sit a lot.

They get REALLY HOT going up hill, with poor airflow to transfer heat from the coolant. Laboring engine super-heats exhaust manifold, which cool too rapidly after cresting hill, suddenly decreasing throttle, and pushing lots of relatively cold air through the manifolds, resulting in thermal shock.
It seems like the Ford 460 fails more in motorhomes than the 454.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I would really like to know what failure occurred to lead you to replace the 460. Both the 460 and 454 live long happy lives in thousands of commercial trucks, on and off road equipment and utility vehicles. While some fail very few are cracked blocks or seized pistons or bearings. Most rebuilds carry warranties of at least 24,000 miles and most rebuilders will be reasonable in helping, unless there is evidence of no maintenance or intentional damage. So what failed?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
They get REALLY HOT going up hill, with poor airflow to transfer heat from the coolant. Laboring engine super-heats exhaust manifold, which cool too rapidly after cresting hill, suddenly decreasing throttle, and pushing lots of relatively cold air through the manifolds, resulting in thermal shock.

Another hardship the exhaust manifolds suffer is stopping after a climb, such as a scenic turnout in the mountains. Everything is hot and there is NO airflow, so the heat does its damage. More stress on the manifolds, and the starter, hoses, wiring, etc just cooks.

Best is to let the engine idle for a while before shutdown. Or have an electric puller fan with a heat switch. My fan runs until it senses an appropriate temperature drop, usually 5 to 10 minutes.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
First, find out what the failure is caused by.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Radiator failed. Overheated.
Temp Gauge was not working.
Lot of metal in the oil.
What failed??? ME.... Lack of Preventive Maintenance and doing a good inspection.... on a more frequent basis.
Living 500 ft from ocean, salt air has taken its toll.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray:

Lot of metal in the oil.

Does a magnet pick up the particles?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/16
posted Hide Post
Just replaced the 454 in my 72, 22', last year twice. The engine with a long hoist comes out the door, about 1/8" to sare, I ended up buying a 454 crate engine. Some adaptations are needed, example a/c.

Posts: 10 | Location: West Pittston | Member Since: 05-26-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Which crate engine did you use? My 454 HO is almost done, may be able to start this afternoon.

I had a few changes but not many. (See my current thread on 454 swap) You must have done something similar, I also went out the side door with mine.

How many bolts does the new engine flex plate need? My old 454 had 6 bolts but the new crate motor has a flex plate that uses only 3... hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5193 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Have the 460 in mine. I am at 70,000 miles now. Two years ago to Arizona and California fron Northwest Canada (3,000 miles)then last year down the west coast to Mexico (10,000 miles)
Had to replace an exhaust manifold last year, but am biting the bullet and putting headers on....need a little bit more giddy-up and cooler temps. Rear airbags and brakes plus fluids just replaced,trans filter and fluids,rear universal......maintenace,maintenance.....BUT.....I do love my Barth!
Heading back down to Mexico mid November!

Neil

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post