Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Elec. fuel pump on onan
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Elec. fuel pump on onan
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted
It stopped working? Any ideas on how to test if its shot, or electrical? I installed a clear filter and a hand squeeze pump. Its not sucking fuel?

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Posts: 46 | Location: Minnesota | Member Since: 06-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Stewart:
It stopped working?

Did it stop pumping or stop clicking?

quote:
Any ideas on how to test if its shot, or electrical? I installed a clear filter and a hand squeeze pump. Its not sucking fuel?

A fuel pump may not be sucking fuel because it is dead, has no power, has no ground, or has no fuel.

Check fuel supply next. How much gas is in the tank? anywhere near a quarter tank and the dip tube will not reach down into the fuel.

Can you suck fuel from the tank with your mouth? A clear tube is best for this exercise for two reasons:

1. It allows you to see the fuel before you taste it.

2. It allows you to see if there is a lot of air in the fuel. Air in the fuel could mean a cracked suction line up on top of the tank. This problem can be elusive.

Check ground. Is it clean and tight?

Are all connections good?

Check power next. This can be done with a meter, a light or a jumper.

If the pump runs, but will not pump fuel, it can be tested by running a suction line to a container of gas. Its output can be observed spraying on the ground or testing with a pressure gauge. A couple of pounds is sufficient. These are essentially gravity flow carburetors.

Chinese filters often have elements that clog or break down and clog the carb inlet needle.

You shouldn't need a squeeze bulb. Take it off and send it to me.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
Thanks, No can do on the squeeze bulb it was $14.00

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Posts: 46 | Location: Minnesota | Member Since: 06-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Stewart:
Thanks, No can do on the squeeze bulb it was $14.00

OK, but it would still be better for it not to be there. Those little electric pumps don't like to suck through much of anything. I only use a fairly free-flowing filter on the inlet, and then a finer one on the output side.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
I took off the $14 squeeze bulb and verified power. I took out the filter in the bottom of the fuel pump and it seems to work, It ran for 1/2 an hour so i think I got it? Does it only come on periodically, when it needs gas? I cant see any gas going into the filter? Although it keeps running?

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
The filter stays about 1/3 full.

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399