Barthmobile Portal
Air conditioning and posible converter issues

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/9651047691

07-18-2006, 06:23 PM
brandman
Air conditioning and posible converter issues
It's actually a 2 speed. I pulled the unit today and will take it into AAA electric in Anaheim within the week. If the fan is indeed the problem, they have a new one for $101.53.
That's around $80.00 less than Camping World.
Thanks again for all the input everyone.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis
07-18-2006, 09:14 PM
bill h
Jack, did you get the fans off the shaft? If not, give a shot of PB blaster every now and then. I remember one being really stuck on mine. The blower motor failed due to low voltage in the park.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
07-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Lee
Since the electron gurus are assembled here, I'd like to hijack the thread for a related question....

My 28 year old converter has never done a good job at keeping the house battery charged up...from what I've read, that's a common issue with older style converters. Other than that, it does the job adequately.....

My thinking is a stand alone "intelligent" battery charger, mounted in battery box, to handle coach battery upkeep while the coach is stored with shore power attached.

Question: If I plug a charger into interior wiring while on shore power, it means both converter & charger are sending charge to battery....is this a bad thing? Is so, what about installing a simple knife switch at battery to isolate it?...

Thanks!
07-21-2006, 12:18 PM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

My thinking is a stand alone "intelligent" battery charger, mounted in battery box, to handle coach battery upkeep while the coach is stored with shore power attached.

Lee, the battery box is a hostile environment for anything more delicate than an anvil. The normal outgassing that occurs during charging creates the possibility of corrosion.

quote:
Question: If I plug a charger into interior wiring while on shore power, it means both converter & charger are sending charge to battery....is this a bad thing? Is so, what about installing a simple knife switch at battery to isolate it?...

I would not mix a stone age converter with a modern charger with delicate electronic components. I used a modern automatic charger in parallel with a stone age charger, and the modern one failed. I did not go inside to chase the failure, but I believe an IC inside was a little sensitive to spikes or transients or something. It was a 12A Sears charger, with manual, auto, start and deep cycle settings. I bought another one just like it which has lasted several years with a lot of use. I believe either Schauer or Schumacher makes it. For years, I have used two stone-age chargers in parallel or one with a converter without incident. Anyone remember Tungar bulbs?

If you buy a big enough three stage charger, you will not need your converter. I use a big three stage intelligent charger only. I did the overkill thing to minimize genset run time for charging, but as long as your charger can carry your average DC load, it can be used without a converter. Another advantage of a good intelligent charger is automatic equalization.

However, using the knife switch method you mention is perfectly all right, and is safer than parallel charging sources.

07-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Lee
Thanks Bill.....I just knew you would make it understandable for me.......

Rather than band-aid a deficiency in the old converter, I think I'll embezzle more of my kids' inheritance and install a new converter that properly addresses battery upkeep.

Looking over specs, I lean towards the Inteli-Power 9200 series, w/ the built in Charge Wizard. Any thoughts on choice? And is the gonna be a relatively easy plug-n-play installation for an electrical simpleton?

Thanks again....
07-21-2006, 10:09 PM
brandman
Thanks for the Tip about the Pb blaster Bill.
I may have the electric shop remove the blades and the blower. As well, they'll probably require the use of some sort of puller which I do not own.
Jack

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis
07-21-2006, 10:41 PM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

Rather than band-aid a deficiency in the old converter, I think I'll embezzle more of my kids' inheritance and install a new converter that properly addresses battery upkeep.

Good idea. If my kids ever get out of grad school, I'm gonna declare that their inheritance.

quote:
Looking over specs, I lean towards the Inteli-Power 9200 series, w/ the built in Charge Wizard. Any thoughts on choice?

I am not sure on their feature of daily equalizing. The literature does not agree on equalizing. Nor do the experts. I am not a big fan of a lot of equalization/desulfation. There are informed opinions all over the map. Somebody here will probably disagree with me on that. My Iota is supposed to do it once a week, but since we are never plugged in, the Iota never gets to do its equalization thing. I equalize the Old Farmer way-- only if the hydrometer readings are low or differ by more than a tenth or so between cells. I am on year 7 of my two golf cart batteries, and I use them hard. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

If you use EDTA, you won't have to worry about equalization/desulfation anyway. Smiler

quote:
And is the gonna be a relatively easy plug-n-play installation for an electrical simpleton?

My Iota has a 120 bolt plug that goes right where the converter went, and a positive and a negative connection to connect where the converter went. Simple as pie. I would expect the PD to be the same.

07-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Rusty
quote:

Looking over specs, I lean towards the Inteli-Power 9200 series, w/ the built in Charge Wizard. Any thoughts on choice? And is the gonna be a relatively easy plug-n-play installation for an electrical simpleton?

Thanks again....

I put the Intellipower (60) with the charge wizard in my SOB, and it's far better than the old dual-output. The only mod I had to make was to run a #6 buss wire to part of the fuse panel that had been directly connected to the old inverter.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields