Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    8.2 engine gone?-repair/repair?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

8.2 engine gone?-repair/repair?
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
Hi to all again. Please read and respond as I don"t know which way to go. Due to some tight finances we decided after it was in for service today we were going to place it for sale, so Friday 9-3-2003 we went for our last trip in it. On I-4 near I-75(Fl) just over 200 miles from our house the engine blew out tons of smoke. I quickly pulled over and shut the engine off ran to the back.I found oil coming out the exhaust,dip stick,valve cover breather cap and every other place it could. If you remember in June 2003 we broke a left rear axle which came to a $2200 repair bill. Over the last 2 years I put on all new shocks,new ac compressor and some ac hoses & fittings,new alternator,3 new battries and replaced six clearance light with new led lights. The Fl.Detroit diesel shop it was towed to-thinks the turbo blew which caused the oil to pump out. They started the engine and it ran but with a knock coming from the left side. They advised me not to repair or rebuild it.(by the way the prior owner about 5 yrs ago had this rebuilt engine put in and it only has about 12000 miles on it). Our coach is a 1985 Barth regency(mcc). My question-do I put in a different engine or sell as is and take my loss. I have about $36000 in it. Sorry for this long message-- I really did like this Barth. My wife & I need any advice you can give. If sold as is- what kind of price do you ask. Thanks to all.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Review the post within this site that covered this exact situation a few weeks ago. "802 Detroit repair or replace" I would contact sdaniels and I believe he will be of great help. Anytime you try to sell a non-running RV expect to take a very big hit. The number of buyers that will take on such a project are very far and few betweeen. Any way you look at it you are going to spend or lose money, but with the problem fixed you will take a smaller hit. I feel badly for you, and wish you well for sure.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
First thing Jim and Barb, our prayers are with you. I know how these things can really be trials. I had just recently talked to someone who had a coach like yours and needed a new engine and instead of replacing the Detroit Diesel they put in a CAT 3208 and it fit perfectly. I then called our local CAT guy and he told me that they regularly install these 3208 CATs and the cost is around $15K.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
to: Dale Smith and Dave Bowers. Thanks for the response and the prayers(need those for sure). I did email sdaniels but so far no reply. I just got back from Heartland coach in Arcadia(about 22 miles from my house)last year they serviced the Barth. Their suggestion have it towed to them and they will give me a better idea whats wrong. Known these people for about four years and trust them. They too feel the turbo went out and sucked the oil out of the oil pan. Possibly could just be a turbo problem and save the engine however they also felt the 3208t was a better way to go plus it has 300hp. I agree so far that I probably should replace the engine before trying to sell it. I should have proof read my topic-I meant to say 8.2 engine gone?-repair/replace/sell? Thanks again

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim & barb,Sorry to hear about your engine problems . The Barth coach that I bought recently has the engine swap that dave mentioned in the above post. I did not do the swap but the gentleman that had the work done seems to have done a lot of research on the issues that may need to be addressed. I'm sure he would share his knowledge with you on the subject. If you want his phone number let me know. Jerry ABERT

Posts: 15 | Location: Godfrey, IL, US | Member Since: 07-27-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
To all- Just an update... Heartland Coach in Arcadia,Fl. called and my Barth arrived via a tow. They checked the dip stick which still showed about 4" above the full mark. Not the turbo but instead most of the radiator water gone. Probably a head gasket,cracked head,water jacket or along those lines. Yes the knock is still there. Guess it was trying to turn into a Stanley Steamer Barth. I'm trying to keep smiling. Heartland thinks they can do the 3208t swap for around $8000. If so that would be great. I have to remember Lifes tough- pray hard- Gods good. Jim & Barb

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Wow, you had some bad luck, but if you can the Turbo CAT for $8K (and their reputable) go after it. My local CAT guy said $15K for a 3208 250hp. The T's 300 isn't it?

We blew our engine 8 miles from the dealer (as is sale of course). We ended up getting a new 454 Goodwrench crate engine. Perfect runner for 3 years now and we travel concern free. At least, as it pertains to the engine.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Dave, I think the "T" stands for turbo. I'll have to check with them about that. One mechanic told me that the 3208 comes in several hp ratings- such as 230hp, 260 and 300hp. He advised against the 300hp saying the more hp you push out of a diesel the shorter the engine life. Hope thats not true cause I thought the 300hp sounded real good especially after driving the low hp of the 8.2. I have a 1987 Chevy van with the 350 engine in it and it is a work horse-just turned 156000 and still runs great.

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
My information from the local CAT dealer is just that that the standard 3208 is 250 hp. The 3208T is a turbo CAT. My guy said that the 3208T was specially designed for motorhomes and is not available as a crate replacement.

My guy also said that the 250 is the best bet. He said that it should be more than enough HP, (we were talking about a 38 ft Regency) and is the tougher of the engines. He had recently quoted $15K for a total install of a 3208 crate in a motorhome. He couldn't remember the kind of RV. He did say that the guy didn't take his quote and went somewhere else but didn't get a written quote and when they were done it was way over $15K for a rebuild.

He said to watch out for rebuilds unless you know the mechanic because he said that shops can get out of supporting rebuild warranty's really each.

------------------
Short cuts always take longer

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

posted Hide Post
I've been following this and the other 8.2 issues... I think the best way to go is the 3208. I've been thinking of doing the swap myself... or at least preparing for the day... And nothing personal, I mean I'm a very spiritual person... but I really don't think God gives one whit about an engine problem... he's way too busy dealing with important issues, don't you think? Save your prayers for world peace, ending famine! Just one man's humble opinion...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Duteman, God may not care about your engine, but he cares about mine and I am very thankful. He also cares about peace, disease and famine and my daughter and two sons etc, etc. Sure glad I'm on his team, would hate to be on the other side.

------------------
Short cuts always take longer

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Dave, Thanks for the info. I checked with Heartland coach and the guy there said the same thing- stay with the 250hp. It's great to compare info in order to make the right decision. I emailed sdaniels but early today found out that none of my emails were going out except to the Barthmobile site. Some type of computor clich I'll have to correct. I wanted to know if there was anything special I had to know about the engine swap as Heartland has never did the swap in a Barth.

[This message has been edited by Jim & Barb Rustige (edited October 10, 2003).]

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I was emailed this picture of a 3208 CAT replacement in a early 80's Regency.

posted Hide Post
Wow, Dave, that pictures of the 3208 swap is great... it truly looks like it was made for the space. Great engine, too... Jim and Barb, every now and then you see a great deal on a used truck with a new engine in it. I'd certainly consider buying one just to get the engine and junking the rest. Like if this one was a turbo, it could be a candidate for me:

Used truck on e-bay with BRAND NEW 3208...
$3500.00 as of this writing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...674638&category=6729

Jim and Barb, I do wish you the best of luck with the project. It may seem like a lot of cash right now, but it will be worth it in the end. The alternative is that you would take more of a hit selling it broken than fixing it, plus, This will make a fabulous rig when done. You just fixed the axle problem, so that probably won't rear it's ugly head for a very long while... and the reliability will make you sleep well at night. Plus, you will get a great riding (one of the best, as you know) and driving RELIABLE coach out of the deal. you can justify it by saying you'd just have to put off "that 15k slide out modification"!

By the way, still waiting for someone to put in a slide... I'd do it if I didn't have a 8.2 engine! (Waiting for the other shoe to drop!) Nice workmanship by this outfit on the slide outs... 12 - 15k estimate for a 10-12 foot "living room/dinette area" slide:

http://WWW.CUSTOMCRAFTEDCOACH.COM/photos.htm

There is always a reason for things happening when/where they do. Image the problem if it had blown on the other side of the country! Yikes. Seriously, though, if you have not had the radiator re-built it should be done at this time too. It can be re-cored for around $8-900.00. Well worth it.

Dave: I'm just very wary of charlatans posing as saviors. Snake-oil salesmen pretending to be experts at this, or have the answer for that, all the while pretending to be righteous so they can sell you junk... steal your money... History is full of evils done in the name of God... what we humans do to each other in our attempts to impose (insert any religion here) on others is despicable. Current events... the Crusades... you name it. Praying for an engine repair? Please.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
To Steve Daniels and Jerry Abert please contact me at rereview@ewol.com with any info on your conversions to the 3208t. My computor has some type of cliche in the hot mail to you-can't seem to send or receive. The email above goes to my wife's business computor. Don't worry it's located in our home office. Like to know any problems in the swap and how they run. Thanks Jim