Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rear window replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rear window replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted
Vandals slithered onto my property and broke the bedroom window from my Barth with a softball sized rock. Fortunately for the cowardly demons, they slithered into the night without awakening my 12 gauge. The bastards were on a spree and hit several houses in the vicinity. They were even confronted by a neighbor widow, her dog and an unloaded pistol as they tried to crawl into the doggy door after failing to break her glass. The glass was of the unbreakable kind seen on TV, and apparently the stuff actually works! They are fortunate. My firearms are always loaded. I do reserve the right to protect my property.

Now I need some advice, but I am not sure what to ask. The broken window is the sliding portion. It is (was) a tinted double pane. It appears that only one of the two panes was tinted. I suspect that it was a common size at the time of manufacture. The screen was also damaged but I believe the frame is intact and can be re-screened.

At this time, will I be replacing glass into a frame or purchasing a complete window? The best I can tell the frame is not damaged. Suggestions as to where to start looking will be appreciated, and do not be surprised if they result in further queries!

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
That sucks!!! Violence Sorry to hear of your troubles Garry.

If you're handy, the easiest way to do this is to remove the window, then drill out the frame rivets and have a piece of glass cut to size. The second way to do this is to contact the manufacturer and have them make one to send to you.

I had to replace a glass on my, Commercial Unit, drivers side, side window and called up HEHR. I had to remove the entire frame to get the number from a piece of tape to get a replacement made up.

The Peninsula double pane Windows on the Regency, on the other hand, has a number printed on the tag located on the outside frame by the door latch.

Of course, not everything is the same on all coaches. What type of window brand do you own?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I hope this might help....

About 25 years ago, when I was in college, I was mowing the yard. The mower kicked up a rock and sent it right through one of the sliding side windows on Mom and Dad's new Pace Arrow.

I had to take out the entire window unit including the frame (it had several screws from the inside.)and took it to a commercial glass shop. Since it was tempered, they cut a replacement including the right shade of tint,and then had to send if off to have it fired for the tempering...

I reinstalled and you couldn't tell the difference.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The shotgun thing works well... About fifty years ago we neighborhood heathens took to raiding an old fellow's garden and small orchard after dark. We were about 30 ft from the porch when he stepped out and pulled back the hammers on a double barrel. We scurried in all directions as he cursed, raised the shotgun and let go both barrels!!! Boom..Boom LOUD! Smoke, flames! Scared the bejeezus out of us. We NEVER went back!!!

Five years later I was shoveling snow, etc for him. He never said anything about the garden. I couldn't resist asking about what was then the "neighborhood legend" He laughed well and said, "yeah, you shoulda seen them boys go! I had that double loaded with just black powder and toilet paper, lotsa both. Just before I went out I poured lighter fluid down both pipes, went out and set em off! Shoulda seem 'em go! Bet they were cleanin' their britches later" Smiler

(No wonder I remember smoke and fire going PAST me! and no I didn't have to "clean my britches" that's my story..) He never let on if he did know I was one of those rascals.

Back to the glass thread... if you want tempered glass you'll have to get it cut and fired. Years ago, we replaced the front and side windows on Dad's 1927 boat. The old ones were plate glass and he was nervous about big waves. We cut down big, flat, truck side safety glass windows for replacements. You have to score both sides and break each side, soak the cracks with acetone a few times to dissolve the center plastic layer, the n pull apart. We beveled the edges (VERY slowly!) with a disk sander and a carbide wheel. Major PITA but possible. Windows are still there.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Living in the Illegal imigration freeway zone, I am inclined to keep buck shot loaded. But my first shot will be aimed high. But I do like the flaming torch effect! Must have looked like a grenade launcher.

Was the boat glass straight sided? I have cut/witnessed cutting straight glass, but never rounded corners!

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
After hurrican Charley I had a glass window replaced by a glass shop in Venice, Florida.
It was the non-slide window section next to the dinning table.
The guy ask me the approx. size and if it was an HEHR. When I told him I had to replace both front windshields also he came out to the house and measured the windows.
None of them were broken ,however because of roofing shingles hitting them they looked like someone took a sander to the glass.

While on the subject , does anyone know where I can get a window screen.

Thanks, Jim
1985 Barth Regency 35ft

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Steve, as I picture the old man's shotgun going off and you hooligans running, I have been laughing out loud! Repeatedly! I get over it... then the image comes back of the black powder, tp and lighter fluid... and I lose it again.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
In large cities (Houston, etc.) any commercial glass shop is connected to a distributor who fabricates double, triple and even quad pane glass. You can have them remove the window, fabricate the replacement and install it. You are correct that only one pane is tinted and it has to be the outside one. I had a door window made and it was a perfect fit but also it was flat and I suspect yours is also. Call around.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
double loaded with just black powder and toilet paper, lotsa both.

.way back ...in our area the load was rock salt.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Some people put rock salt into the chambered shell, or the first shell in the magazine, leaving the rest of the magazine loaded with their shot of choice in case return fire is offered. Likewise with snake shot in side arms.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Since the woman who lived next door was deaf, and no other close neighbors, our parents never heard of it. We kids all thought it was rock salt and eventually some of the adults heard the story but weren't sure who/when/where/if it happened, hence "the legend"

I still remember the flames confusion and the big grin on old Fremont's face when he told me about it later. ROTFLMAO

The boat windows we cut were rectangles and parallelograms, no curves. With a circle glass cutter, fairly large radius and some nibblers you might be able to do some curves.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Laminated glass is two layers of glass with a plastic film sandwiched between and can be cut/soaked with acetone.(windsheild glass). Tempered glass must be cut first, then fired. It can not be cut or drilled after tempered unless you want pile of 1/4" glass.(door window glass). Being tinted insulated I would you try to get replacemant from window manufacture.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
I contacted a RV window place in Phoenix. Apparently they are a complete window place only. The nice guy told me who locally could handle it.

$325 to manufacture a replacement for the broken sliding portion only, repair screen, remove all glass shards and install, all in my driveway. About the amount I intuitively would have guessed.

Like someone above said, they cut the two pieces of glass locally, send them out for temper, glue and seal them, reattach the pull/lock bar. It looks as if the frame will have to be removed for installation. They tried to remove the slider window on the other side to accommodate measurements but it would not cooperate even after removal of all rubber pieces, pieces that I did not even know were removable.

May be ready for install in approx. a week.

Insurance deductible is $500.