Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Kohler generator problems
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kohler generator problems
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
The Kohler 7000 LP generator on my 1990 Breakaway will start but only runs about 20/30 seconds and then stops. Biggest problem is that I'm 600 miles away from it and trying to guide the generator shop in their attempts to fix it. They have checked the switches on the dash and the generator and claim their is no problem. I have told them to check the system for leaks and use a manometer to check the pressure at the generator. I believe it's supposed to be 11". In reading about this, I see that sometimes the LPG detector will shut off the system(don't know how that works). This coach has a main disconnect switch which is used each time the coach is parked without being hooked up to shore power. Without seeing it, does anyone know if the 1990 28' Breakaways had an LPG detector and if so, where would it be? I have given the shop the name and number of 'John' down in Arkansas.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All LPG-equipped coaches have a detector. Yours probably has a switch on it; newer ones are always powered. If the detector sniffs no propane, it opens a solenoid valve near the tank.

It should be on the passenger side bathroom bulkhead behind the recliner.

The coach 12 VDC MUST be turned on to power the detector and the solenoid valve. If 12 VDC is shut off, then turned on, the detector must be turned off then on to reset.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Unsure if this will help, but a quick search turned up this thread. Several other threads dealing with similar issues embedded as well. You might have a filter problem or water or oil problem. I'm new here and don't have any first-hand knowledge of lp gensets.

Best luck.

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
...and what Rusty said.

Smiler

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
My gen set does not have any sort of sniffer controlled valve for the gen set. The gen set has liquid propane up to the regulator/vaporizer ands is taken from a different valve on the propane tank than the appliance gas. It should be marked as such.

All Barths are different so can't say if yours follows the above.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Ed,
My generator also not restricted by the sniffer. Everything else is monitored by the sniffer. One of the first things I found out on the way home from Yuma with Dbarth. Went from 99 degrees to 40 degrees and was looking for heat. Our sniffer is at the base of the pantry across from the stove. Beeps for a minute before it decides all clear of gas and starts monitoring.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1388 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tech people tell me that the problem is that the house batteries were too low. They put one of their shop batteries in and generator started up and ran. The pressure on the generator side of the pressure regulator was 7", which, from what I read is low. Tech guy said the batteries were to low to 'open the solenoid'. What solenoid?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yours probably has a switch on it; newer ones are always powered. If the detector sniffs no propane, it opens a solenoid valve near the tank.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
So, if the house batteries are dead, the solenoid will not open? Or if the detector smells gas, it will not open the solenoid, regardless of the condition to the batteries? Sorry, I'm pretty dense on this stuff. Red Face Hope this means embarrassed.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
I do not believe that the house batteries has anything to do with the generator running!!!!

Yes there is a solenoid that will open to allow the LP to go to the regulator during starting and operation. BUT this solenoid not on the house battery circuit, at least not in mine,it is on the chassis battery side of things.

What are they telling you? You need new batteries to operate the generator. NOT! If your generator starts and run for 20-30 seconds the obviously the solenoid is open. Charging will start as soon as the shore power/ generator relay kicks in.

My generator will start and run without the house batteries on line.

Jim they are pulling your chain!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
What they are saying to me Ed is that when they took out the old house batteries and put in a couple of shop batteries, it started and ran and continued to run. Their explanation is that the old house batteries couldn't open the solenoid. I don't understand it either and will call them this morning. It is frustrating to deal with this from so far away.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
What I am saying Jim is that in a previous post, the comment was made that the generator would start and run for 20-30 seconds. That would suggest that the solenoid was opening and LP was getting to the vaporizer. Why only 20-30 seconds, no idea, BUT it certainly does not point to bad batteries!

They sell you new batteries and then what? Propane generators can be funky. There is residual oil in propane and that sometimes will get into the vaporizer and will cause trouble.

Hard starting is another issue that seems to be prevalent with these if the plugs are not gapped right (should be around 0.018") Regulator/vaporizer sluggish (can also be caused by a build up of oil. Cold weather. etc.

As we say, all Barths are different, I just went out and disconnected my house batteries and the generator started, ran and the shore power relay switched to generator power. NO +12 VDC anywhere in the coach except the chassis batteries.

If they are saying chassis batteries then the diesel wouldn't start either!

I don't believe this is correct trouble shooting on their part, they are just throwing parts (money) at it.

Sorry to be so blunt but I see this all the time form service shops, particularly when it is out of your area.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Breakaway uses a common, regulated line for all the propane devices, so the solenoid valve controlled the flow to the generator, even though the generator had its own regulator.

The shop's claim may have merit, in that a low battery might have enough juice to open the valve and charge the line, but starting the genset could lower the voltage to dropout. Because there's a delay in connecting 120 VAC after the genset starts, the converter may not cut in quickly enough to jack up the voltage and get the valve open.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
I am not sure about your coach, but all appliances use vapor LP and generators usually use liquid LP and a vaporizer at the engine. The LP vapor and liquid come from two different ports on the tank with two shut off valves.

Mine has NO solenoid controlled by the sniffer, but does have a solenoid that is controlled by the generator regulator and that solenoid is located just before the vaporizer, not at the tank.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's a good point, Ed - Jim needs to find out how his genset is piped, since yours and mine are quite different.

When I installed the Honda, I took out the galvanized propane line from a union forward, and capped it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke