Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Alignment specs
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Alignment specs
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Has anyone used the supersteer alignment specs for the p30/32 bellcrank.I am worried that the inch difference in caster and the difference in camber is gonna create to much pull.

Posts: 15 | Location: charlotte nc | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Several years ago when I added Bell Cranks to my 33' 88 Regal SE I had to realign the front end. The results were much better. My current Breakaway
may get a SteerSafe for Christmas..............

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you use the specs that came with the bellcrank.Mine is a 92 chevy motorhome chassis p30/32.

Posts: 15 | Location: charlotte nc | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
BellCranks came from CW. I had a truck alignment garage do the job. I was told the alignment would be to the specs for the cranks...........

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is yours a p series chassis

Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
The 33' 1988 Regal SE Had a tag axel and was a P32 (so I was told). But as Bill H says "I have a P30 something"..........................

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
My current Breakaway

Carl, the Breakaway is a solid axle and the steering box is mounted directly to the axle.

If your king pins and tie rod end joints are tight, I don't think SteerSafe will do anything for you. There are no bell cranks and far fewer ball joints on the Spartan EC2000 chassis

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Once adjusted, it helps keep the wheels pointed straight, irrespective of the front suspension design.

However, the Pee-thirty-Somethings seem to benefit from that action more than other chassis.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont really understand what you mean by keeping the wheels pointing straight.Wouldnt i do that anyway unless i was making a turn.

Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
MWrench: ED: Thanks for the advise about my Breakaway's front end. Cheaper to have the front end rechecked than spend $500.00 for the SteerSafe. I envy you fella's that can do your own work......................

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

posted Hide Post
You are welcome Carl. As Bill said if SafeSteer is properly adjusted it will tend to "force" the front wheels to stay centered. This is where I have an issue. I want the steering system to be as free as possible with no drag imposed. This is a personal preference of course.

With my Breakaway I have a bigger problem than most 30' Breakaways. I have more weight in the back and the weight is further back as well. This with a short wheel base really gets into the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome. No add on will fix that, it is just physics.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:

With my Breakaway I have a bigger problem than most 30' Breakaways. I have more weight in the back and the weight is further back as well. This with a short wheel base really gets into the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome. No add on will fix that, it is just physics.

Do you think a Panhard bar (or even a Watts linkage) would help? Or did Spartan do that already?

quote:
You are welcome Carl. As Bill said if SafeSteer is properly adjusted it will tend to "force" the front wheels to stay centered. This is where I have an issue. I want the steering system to be as free as possible with no drag imposed. This is a personal preference of course.

My own guess is that a centering device or system is more appreciated on something like an IFS Pee, with all those parts trying to move in formation. I would suspect that a beam axle kingpin front suspension, with fewer moving parts, (and decently tight kingpin bushings) would need a little less help.

A centering device might compensate for the need of a rebush and a reaming.

My tag axle Pee seems to need less help than the two previous non-tag Pee SOBs, probably because of the tag keeping the coach pointed a little straighter.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The diff has a short panhard bar, but the front does not. I have been thinking about this but time has not permitted much effort here. All the shackles and spring end bushings (FRONT AND REAR) have been replaced and that helped a small bit.

The rear panhard bar was replaced.

Independent suspension systems has far more motion dynamics than a solid axle does.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
My current Breakaway

Carl, the Breakaway is a solid axle and the steering box is mounted directly to the axle.

If your king pins and tie rod end joints are tight, I don't think SteerSafe will do anything for you. There are no bell cranks and far fewer ball joints on the Spartan EC2000 chassis

I have SteerSafe on my Breakaway - installed by the prior owner. He said it did improve handling, although his motive was to prevent a yank on the wheel in event of a front tire blowout.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We have a Safe T Plus on our Breakaway.
Seems to work just fine- but have never removed it to see what difference it might make. The original owner was a "diesel" guy I heard (but not really sure what was meant by that), so I have assumed that it was put for some useful purpose and (presumably) provides some benefit.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post