Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    rear end leak
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

rear end leak
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted
It looks like I'm losing oil from my rear end case, is it much of a deal to replace the seal? 33' brealaway
Is this something a shade tree mechanic can do or is it recomendid I check it into a shop?

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Easy. Get a replacement gasket, and oil for the rear.

Take off the old, scrape and scrub the mating surfaces clean, put a lite film of gasket permatex on each surface and let it skin. Replace the bolts and torque to specs.

Should take about an hour tops.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
It depends - and it's messy in any case.

What it depends on, is whether your gear case has has a bolted on plate in the rear, or if that plate is permanently mounted and the entire center section bolts on from the front.

If the former, no sweat except the mess. If the latter, the hassle factor rises greatly, as the axle shafts have to be pulled out part way to remove the center section and access the mating surfaces. That usually disturbs the outer seals which, to play it safe, should be replaced as well.

In any case, gear oil stinks, it's messier than motor oil, the smell clings, and it's a hassle to dispose of the drained oil.

When I was young and foolish, I'd tackle it either way, though one might find themself stuck in the middle of the learning curve removing the center section of a big truck axle the first time.

If the plate can be removed from the rear, and that's indeed where it's leaking, I'd tackle it even at my age. Today, if the center section has to be removed, I'd leave it to the pros, and swallow the expense.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post