Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    A little knowledge is worse than none!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A little knowledge is worse than none!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
Ed
Ours has a front radiator. The lit we have from Spartan indicates you could order it on the side too though.
Also, the Cummins is on a roll-out engine bed for major service work!
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Chevalier:
Another difference is the Regency has a side radiator vs. the Breakaway with a rear radiator. This is a big deal when it comes to ease of maintenance--advantage to the side radiator.

Don, if your radiator is in the front where is the generator mounted? don't you just luv Barth's standardization.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
With all the Barth variations noted in these posts, poor Tom in Thailand must be holding his head in his hands wondering what in the world he should do.

Bottom line --- The basic Barth coach construction, at least through the fully-riveted period of the original company, is the main advantage. One could restore one of these things ad infinitum, & the good bones would still be there.

Appliances & accessories are pretty much standard for the trade. Beyond this, there are variations in the level of luxury among different models, though there are no guarantees they're the same in every case.

Chassis come from different manufacturers, some are diesels, some are gassers. Models on some chassis, notably the Chev P-30s can be maintained largely with parts from your local NAPA store. Some that are more exotic, notably those on the FMC chassis, have a single source of supply. Others are in between. One can get a good idea about parts availability & maintenance difficulty by reading these posts.

IMHO, When Tom gets back from Thailand, he should go look at what's for sale, find one he likes regardless of the many variations, & if he can afford it, he should buy it. It's going to be old, so it will require maintenance. It will burn either diesel or gasoline, & it will be his choice, based on his considerations. But in any case, it will be a Barth.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
Bill and Roy
I have often wondered what differentiated the Regal and Regal SE.
Do you know? Was it length? In that SEs designated coaches longer than 28 feet?
Don

The SE designation started about the same time other Barths got names. They had a tag axle and a higher floor. This allowed taller outside storage bins. Lengths seemed to be 30, 32 and 34. There were shorter tags with high floors, but they were med labs, etc.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
I will try to send 1990 Regency original equiptment list if I can. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle
Don, if your radiator is in the front where is the generator mounted? don't you just luv Barth's standardization.
Nick
The generator is right behind the radiator. The rad for the genny is mounted on the right front and is accessible thru the exterior compartment door on that side.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Geeze, Don! I was parked next to ya for a week, and didn't even notice. Frowner It would have been fun to look it over.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why Barth or Gillig did that?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's going to be old, so it will require maintenance.

I guess I look at a motor home like a house or a boat or car for that matter. What ever I have requires fixing at some point. Usually a new house is very expensive to move into vs a "used" house.

I am getting excited about this and keep going between Beavers and Barths with Hawkins popping up now and again. I like the Newells but not the inside, it does not have enough wood for my taste.

Thanks for all the info on the Barths, I guess my question was similar to asking what kind of cars the ford motor company made between 1985 and 1995.

The breakaways are not on air suspension, correct!

I would like a unit to pick up later this summer, I have a get together late summer in Midland mich that I want to attend.

I am ok to spend a few weeks getting it "fixed" to take off with. I need to either narrow down the area to look or buy it first then come back from Thailand.

My experience with the GMC was that the House stuff would break but the coach would even run when broken, but it would complain.

Burned up a front wheel bearing on the bus in ND on 4th july weekend years ago and could not get towed, drove on a flopping wheel for 6 miles to a truck stop. Not pretty but was just fine in the end.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post