Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Putting in new front seats with 3 point harnesses.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Putting in new front seats with 3 point harnesses.
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
Putting in new front seats, complete with integral lap/shoulder (three point) seat belts.

Anyone interested in seeing the process?

My original seats were "corporate cheapies".

Odd that a quality coach like Barth would skimp on driver/passenger seating, but this *was* optioned by a hospital originally, and they obviously were only doing local runs.

In any event, the origingal seats only had a lap belt, and I don't like that from a safety standpoint. Furthermore, the originals were showing their age and they had NO adjustment save for fore/aft travel. After about 5 hours, my rear end was getting a bit numb.

I purchased a set of Chrysler seats from a Sebring convertible. Leather and a driver's seat with 8 different electric positions changes.

Been taking up space in my garage going on 1.5 years, and I finally got sick of not having them installed and started the big project yesterday.

Now I am almost ready to finalize it, and realize that if anyone wanted to duplicate my effort, now is the time to take pictures and do a "walk through".

Anyone interested in my taking the time/effort to document this procedure?

Windsor

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Windsor: I am. If by chance you have a fuse block up under the dash (over your left foot)that you can't see or reach without removing the driver's seat,NOW would be the time to move it. If all goes well, I'll be going up to Pottstown in June for a graduation party. Would like to see your results..........

"THE TOY" 88 33'Regal SE Coach #3448

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would be interested. What did you consider when you bought seats?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Carl:

Yes, that would be great. Are you bringing your barth? In any event, drop me an e-mail with your itinerary, and I would be happy to avail myself and the Bath to your inspection.

Bill:

My first consideration was that the seats had to have an integral three point harness. I am sure there is a way to take a factory harness and bolt it into the wall, but I didn't want to mess with tearing my walls out to reinfoce a stud *since alumnium is does not probably have enough shear strength*. I may be wrong about that, but I cover up my lack of engineering education with a tendency to over-engineer anything I do as compensation.

There were precious few choices. Chevy and Ford trucks offer them. Unfortunately, most of those offerings were so new that the seats commanded a price over $1000. I found a seat of Dodge convertible seats on Ebay for about $500 shipped. They were in perfect shape and the light beige color matched my interior well. The only complaint was that the seat bottoms are curved and irregular to match the contours of the seat pan. The truck ones are generally more flat on the bottom, which lends them probably a bit better to matching up with the flat top of the seat pedestals in the Barth.

I am taking pictures, and will post them soon.

I should be done tomorrow, will let everyone know how they do!

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post