Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Parts for a 1977 Barth 24'
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Parts for a 1977 Barth 24'
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Charlie and Angi
posted
Okay, so my wife and I just bought a 1997 24' Barth yesterday. I can't wait to take it out for the first time, but I need to make it a little more road worthy first. Power Steering, Brakes, etc. My problem is that I need to find parts. I do my own mechanic work (with a little guidance from my father, who happens to be an actual mechanic), but I don't know how to look up parts. I assume I can go on most major autoparts websites and look up a specific vehicle, but barth is not an option. So, I assume I would be shopping for parts for a Chevrolet, but I don't know what model. Any suggestions. All I can figure out so far is that it is a Chevy Big Block 454.
Thanks, Charlie.

Posts: 43 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Member Since: 01-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You will probably be able to find 454 parts fairly easily at "auto" parts stores. Same goes for most of the Chev P3(x) chassis parts. These "light trucks" don't get much attention from the "big truck" guys. If you can get actual Chev part #'s they can almost always get what you need. The "Chev Motorhome Chassis Service guide" has much good info on service needs.

Look into the archives here on the site, you'll find tons of info. Don't hesitate to post questions, there are numerous gurus on this site. Because of the great variation in Barth coaches, it is usually helpful to indicate year, model and maybe pictures.

Be especially sure to check tires, brakes, Hydroboost system, and suspension. Money and time spent here will have big payoffs in safety and easier driving.

Good luck and fair warning: these coaches and this site are addictive. Enjoy!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5182 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums, glad you found us. Your post says 1997, but I'm sure that's a type-o, so I'll go with the 77. Mechanically, your coach is a basic Chevy p-30 truck chassis, and very lttle if anything will be Barth- dependent when ordering parts or servicing. When I buy chassis parts I don't even say what kind of coach I have, because it doesn't matter.
That doesn't mean there are no variables, such as disc-drum brakes, factory- aftermarket air, etc. I find it best to bring the part with me to the parts house and compare with what they show before buying. Things like water pumps can show as many as 4 different possibilities for the same year-model of chassis.
You're probably a lot better wrench than I am, and I've done a lot of my own wrenching with good results, so dig in and don't be worried about the coach being a Barth, it's just the box sitting on top of the Chevy.[Although it's probably the finest box you'll ever find].
Good luck and post some pix when you get a chance.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. You are right about the typo, it is a 1977. Yes this site is addictive, it is a big reason I bought a barth and not sob.

Posts: 43 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Member Since: 01-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Charley,[and everyone], in the lower right corner of your posts is an icon of a pencil eraser. If you click on it your post will come up in the window so you can edit it. You'll notice that the eraser is only in YOUR posts. [I use it a lot!]

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
The P-30 series chassis used by Barth has a lot in common with P-series stepvan chassis
of that era.....For brakes, suspension, driveline, etc, try: www.walkinvan.com

The 454 and the TH400 are still widely supported by franchised parts outlets, plus
tons of aftermarket suppliers on the net....just Google what you're looking for.....

Welcome to the site! Tooling Along

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Charlie!
I have found www.rockauto.com to be very useful when attempting to find parts.

However, you will also find there are differences between the P30 chassis and specializations for the RV market. These are not always well documented. "In tank fuel pump" comes to mind on my '87.

http://parts-catalog.acdelco.c...alog/stock_check.php is also useful.

best regards,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If you have a part number, Amazon will probably have it cheaper and get it to you quicker.

I am in the middle of a water pump change on my truck, and I found Amazon to be the best and the quickest.

FWIW, my pump of choice is the Milodon HD one. I believe our Barth with a (Siamesed bore)502 pulling a 4WD up Yarnell hill or Sherwin grade in 100 plus temps is the ultimate water pump test bed.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
It's remarkable the difference in prices on the Internet.

One of many examples: I needed a circuit board for my refrigerator. Local RV store
had the board for $375 plus tax. I found the identical board on the internet
for $79, no tax, and free shipping....

I found that situation several times as worked on my unit.

Good Luck!

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
It's remarkable the difference in prices on the Internet.

Another example:........I just bought 4 ball joints, an idler arm, an idler arm bracket and a Pitman arm from RockAuto for $297. All Moog.

NAPA was $468.

The local chains had Chinese.

Today, Serpentine belt tensioner, NAPA $64 plus tax. Autozone Chinese for $70, Dayco (OEM) $34 delivered from Amazon.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard!!!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the outpouring of support. This is why we bought a Barth. That, and it is just so stinkin cool. Parts are coming in and this thing is soon to be road worthy.
Thanks, Charlie

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Charlie and Angi!
You not only want parts for repair. You also want parts for readiness reasons. Things like coils, plugs, wires, HEI module, fuel pump, and radiator hoses you can stash in the rig. That will ensure you never ever need them.

Ebay is fun with "saved searches" on the auctions. There are many Ebay stores that want almost retail price, but sometimes things show up at auction for next to nothing. I got a US made fuel pump for about $5.

Also get the numbers stamped on the side of your carb and cross reference that to the Delco numbers. Then create a saved search for the numbers. In doing so, I got a new quadrajet for about $150, the seller called it a carb for an Olds 307.

Given the age of your rig, you will want to carefully inspect all the steel brake lines. You will also want to assess the condition of the exhaust.

Happy Motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Re: the sending unit & the charcoal canister go here

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...=810107781#810107781

& see what the PO did with ours. Note: the third picture & the breather tube they added on it. Not good for CA emissions I guess.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
Charlie, welcome to the board.
Lee and Jim, thanks for the links. Smiler

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post