Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Mystery Switch
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mystery Switch
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
I had previously posted that I have not been able to find a function for the red lighted switch next to the door (along with a panel of 5 smaller white switches). One poster said it was most likely the 12v cutoff which makes sense since most of my RVs have one near the door. So, I turned it off but 12V all still works. There is a cutoff switch for that at the batteries. One day when I get time, will take the meter to the panel and see if I can find a circuit that operates with this switch.

Tom
1994 Breakaway XL

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Corco
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,

What I use for lines that I need to trace is a toner. It is the same thing that cable and telephone guys use to trace out thier cables.

In case you never hear of one, it's a batery powered signal generator or called a "toner" that has an alligator clip on it that attaches to one side on the wire you want to trace and then there is a "wand" that you place next to or touch around where the wire goes. Kinds like a Fluke magnetic flux detector.

I use it to actually trace where the wire runs behind a wall, like a stud finder, sweeping it back and forth following where the strongest signal is from where the toner is and following the route to the other end.

Though I would put in my 1 1/2 cents in. Smiler

- CJ

Posts: 36 | Location: Northern Atlanta Burbs', Georgia | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It is likely the 120 VAC to the block heater, although another common location is near the driver's seat.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
On our Breakaway, this switch isolates the battery from the charger if there is shore power or connects the battery to the coach providing 12 volt, when there is no shore power (depends which way you want look at it)

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
It is likely the 120 VAC to the block heater, although another common location is near the driver's seat.

Tom has the block heater switch above left of the drivers seat. Right in front of the Data tag.

It didn't switch anything 12 volt we could see when we played with it in Goshen.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1387 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, what I found in the written doc left by a PO, there are 3 heater switches for the water tanks and oil lines above the driver and the one for the block heater that Dana mentioned.

I am definitely going to get a toner. We used them when doing work on cross-connect frames when I was involved in telecom.

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I am wondering if having a solar charger on the roof has anything to do with me turning off this switch but lights still light.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It could be the arming switch for the photon torpedoes...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only wish it was for that. Drivers that cut me off in traffic would see the full effects of those photons.

Tom Taylor

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Not to steal this thread, but Bud---do you turn off that switch while on shore power? I just noticed in my Barth binder while looking for another answer that it says to shut that switch off while on shore power. It is supposed to stop the original style converter from over-charging the house batteries? Funny thing is, the converter manual says that it has a built in circuit that is supposed to stop charging the batteries once they get to full charge. But this may be the reason it seemed like I might have cooked one of my house batteries in Goshen...
Bruce
p.s. This is a lighted switch located next to the door along with the 4 switches for interior lights, handle light, stepwell light and electric step.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Hi Bruce
Yes we (now)turn off the switch when on shore power---- but like you, we had already done damage to a set of batteries. Our charger has two settings which are constant voltage charge modes-- to change between these you have to open the end of the bed compartment and insert or remove a small plastic plug similar to a phone jack. As our charger still works fine we have not yet replaced it with a "smarter" model.

Bud

Allison 3060 (6 spd)
7.5 kw diesel gen.

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Bud,
I would like to talk to you more about this, but do not want to steal this orginal post/thread. Maybe one of the monitors will move it to it's own post. I would like to know what converter you presently have in your coach.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Hi Bruce
As I am in Whitehorse Yukon and the Barth is in Phoenix--- (but more importantly because I can't remember) I don't know what brand it is. It is a 45 amp model, ----a size which I like since I use a 1000 watt Honda for battery charging when we don't have shore power.
We will return to Az sometime in Oct we hope.
Bud

Allison 3060 (6 spd)
7.5 kw diesel gen.