Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Grey water tank leaks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Grey water tank leaks
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We've got several leaks in our grey water tank. One is from the black plastic fitting that goes into the tank itself. Is there some kind of adhesive one can use to secure this piece ? It squeezes in for a very tight fit but it is not affixed with any type of adhesive. I could twist and pull it out yesterday when I pulled everything apart. What a goopy mess. There was also an rubber o-ring seated in the end of the fitting. The other leak is a small crack in the tank itself above where this fitting slides in. Some kind of apoxy available that would effectively patch this ? The third leak appears to be on top of the tank(the portion that is flush against the bottom of the RV). It looks like I may have to loosen the nuts on the braces that hold the tank up and drop it down to see where this leak is comming from. I cannot get to it from the inside easily because it appears to be beneath the shower basin. Don't believe it's connected with the shower drain plumbing though.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I had a huge crack in my black water tank. (not good) three years ago I fixed it with a piece of glass cloth and two part epoxy. It still holds tight. However, my RV guy said I didn't have to go to that extent. The tanks are ABS so you can go to Home Depot and get ABS plastic goop. I would still use the glass cloth on the crack. Make sure you clean and sand the area well. Put some of the goop on the crack and squeegee it with a piece of card board or something to try and get some in the crack. This ABS goop actually melts the plastic and causes an homogeneous bond if you get it into the crack. Put it on thick enough so that the piece of glass cloth will stick flat. Come back about an hour later and the clock and ABS goop will be hard as a rock. Then brush or spread another layer of goop on top of this covering and sealing the edge of the cloth so it won't start to peel off.

Best of luck

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave. Is the plumbing leading up to the grey tank ABS as well ? Would I be right to assume that there is an ABS adhesive that can be used to bond and seal the pipes ?

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
If it is black it is ABS

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I recently did some plumbing work, and also r. &.r,d the black water holding tank (a project I hope I never have to do again).

My plumbing is gray polybutyl, not the best stuff, but popular in the '90s in houses, rv's & manufactured homes. It is flexible, can be cut with a sharp knife, and press-on, screw-on fittings are available at your local hardware, an advantage when repairs are needed.

My holding tank is not black a.b.s., but is translucent plastic, apparently polyethylene. It had been patched with some kind of flexible compound. I re-did that patch, and covered a couple other suspicious areas with Marine-Tex, a 2 part epoxy I've used for years on almost everything. Of all the epoxies on the market, I never found anything better.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I'm with Roy on the Marine Tex. I have done some incredible bootleg things with it as temporary fixes that just held and held. JB Weld is pretty good, too.

However, my tank also appears to be PE, as I can sort of see daylight when it is empty. I have never had anything but heat welding hold long term on PE.

I like the Seelye welders. Avoid the chinese Harbor Freight junk.

Eternabond sticks to everything else, it might be worth a try on PE.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. You've all collectively armed me with a little more knowlege. Gonna try fixing those leakd today.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal