Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Working on My Genset
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Working on My Genset
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted
I think it's time to get my genset running already. It's a Kohler CKM21-RV. It cranks good but wouldn't fire. I cleaned and tested the fuel pump and all is good up to the carb. I took off the air cleaner housing and dropped some fuel down the carb throat and it pops off right away.

No big surprise since the genny hasn't been started for 2 years, the carb is completely varnished over. I pulled the carb and it was so plugged up the float bowl wouldn't drain after removing to plug. The brown fluid in the bowl didn't resemble anything close to gasoline. Also the o-ring on the shut-down solenoid has crumbled to nothing.

Can a shadetree mechanic rebuild this carb without too much trouble or should I leave this to a pro? This carb seems rather simple compaired to my Kawa KZ1000 CV carbs and I do OK with those. Any advice is always appreciated.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bones:

Can a shadetree mechanic rebuild this carb without too much trouble?

Sure. Go for it.

If you PM me with your e mail address, I can send you some .pdf Kohler publications that might help.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Bones, Compared to the KZ1000 carb that old thing is just a metered leak.... You can handle it!!! GO FOR IT!!!

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
@Bill h, thanks, PM on the way.

@Patch1st, metered leak...thats classic, lol

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patch1st:
Bones, Compared to the KZ1000 carb that old thing is just a metered leak....!

On the farm, we had an old engine that had a metal mesh wick in the intake port which was kept wet by fuel which was gravity metered through an orifice. That was the carburetor. It started on gasoline and ran on either kerosene or distillate.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bones:
It's a Kohler CKM21-RV. It cranks good but wouldn't fire.
Is this the same as a 7CKM21-RV? Does your generator have a K582 Kohler 23 HP Engine? What does your tag say for engine size?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Is this the same as a 7CKM21-RV? Does your generator have a K582 Kohler 23 HP Engine? What does your tag say for engine size?

It's a different unit. The manual says it's 42.18 cu. in, 9.9 horse, 2 cylinder.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Could you send me any info on the 7cm21 Kohler? Also, I spent some money getting mine to run. It still lopes some and I have to work that out. If you need leads on parts, I'll dig up my invoices. I ran across a very knowledgeable gentlemen in Arkansas who sells parts for Kohler. He was a Kohler dealer rep for I think 30+ years....really knows his Kohler gensets....he helped me a lot. Thanks, K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
Bill,
Could you send me any info on the 7cm21 Kohler?

Sure. Glad to. Just PM me with your e mail address.

It would help to know what limits your server has on how much I can send you at one time.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
Bill,
Could you send me any info on the 7cm21 Kohler?

Did it come through OK?

quote:
Also, I spent some money getting mine to run. It still lopes some and I have to work that out.

Give it some fuel laced with Red Line Cleaner. Play with the adjustment on the springs and screw eyes on the carb linkage. Set the freq a little high so it settles down with a load. Be sure all the linkage is clean and lightly lubed.

quote:

If you need leads on parts, I'll dig up my invoices. I ran across a very knowledgeable gentlemen in Arkansas who sells parts for Kohler. He was a Kohler dealer rep for I think 30+ years....really knows his Kohler gensets....he helped me a lot. Thanks, K&E

Yes, please, and Thank You. A good source is always good. I might need a couple parts soon.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Sorry to take so long to reply. Thanks for the manuals and I'll get the contact info on the Kohler rep in Arkansas. I had a difficult time finding parts as these units are 25+ years old. Mine only showed about 200 hours on the meter. Once we got it running, it sure sounds nice...can tell the 200 hours is correct...It's "loping"...doesn't run smooth...I figured just a governor adjustment or something simple..Thanks, K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I have all my parts on order. I hope to have everything by the weekend. Special thanks to Bill for sending those manuals. It makes it so much easier ordering parts when you have part numbers.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
After waiting a few more days for backordered parts, they arrived yesterday. Got the carb all cleaned and new parts on. She runs like a champ! My AC is working great too. Now just a quick oil change and it's off to the Rockford Airfest tomorrow(with AC and coffee in the morning). Next project, why is the frige blowing a fuse. More details to come.

I got the parts online from Partstree.com. They had fair prices and shipping was fast. All the parts were genuine Kohler too. 2 thumbs up.

Thanks to all that help out.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Does your genset have a fuel filter on the front of the unit? My Kohler does and it clogs up about every 20 hours so I put a larger filter in front of it.
That worked.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
My genset didn't have any inline fuel filter when I got it. The fuel line was too short and I couldn't pull the drawer out without taking the fuel line off the pump. Adding an inline filter was a simple way to add 2 feet of fuel line so I could pull out the drawer without disconnecting the fuel line. I also used this short line in a gas can heavy on Seafoam to clean out any trash I didn't get after rebuilding the carb.

The only adjustment that I changed was the main jet. The manual said to screw it all the way down (CW), then turn it out 2 3/4 turns (CCW). I ended up turning it back down about a half turn and it ran perfect.

I ran the genset about 30 mins on Saturday at the Rockford Airfest without an issue. Well except for the dom batts are shot. The batteries are 2 years old and never got used. Problem is the previous owner left the coach plugged in all the time. They had a 30 amp hookup on their house. When I brought the coach home the batts were bone dry. I filled them up and charged them but they don't hold a charge for more than a day. I'm going to try some EDTA in them just to experiment since these batts are probably shot. The genset starter uses the house batts to start so they get low and I can't start the genny.

A question while I'm thinking about it, is there a way to hook up a tach to the genset? How do I know I'm running at 1800 rpm?

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400