Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Advice on installing leveling jack springs
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Advice on installing leveling jack springs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted
Does anyone have any good advice/opinions/experience on installing new springs on my HWH leveling jacks?

I've ordered a new set of 8 and they should be in in a couple of days. My springs were rusted/broken/missing and the jacks held up with bungee cords. Mine are the ones that connect on one end via a 6" wire hook---almost looks like a concrete form tie.

I've read on a couple of blogs... so how hard are they to install....or stretch??? Any ideas would be so appreciated....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I would call HWH and ask them if there is an agreed way forward. Springs are potentially very dangerous, so move forward with extreme caution.

Although I've never had to do my jack return springs, thinking about it I might try using a large screwdriver to "roll" the top hook into place depending on the amount of tension. Another idea is to use a tie down attached to a fixed point above then ratchet the spring out into place.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping not to have to rely on the manufacturer's advice....Ha!

I was hoping one of you great people could share some personal, experiencial, wisdom...I realized you guys are a far better source of knowledge!

I just got through putting a set of AirLift 1000 airbags in my front coilsprings....I read the directions, I went to the manufacturers website, looked at the "easy to install" video and proceeded to recall every 4-letter word I hadn't said in years.....
the real world "in-field" installation was a slightly different procedure than the "on-film" installation they showed!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
How many coils are there and how much does it have to expand to go on the receiving ends? Can you wedge each coil open and insert a shim of wood, roll of quarters, whatever is available then get it in place and held with baling wire, wire ties etc. and then extend the cylinder so you can retrieve the shims for the next one?
No charge for bad or good ideas. cheers

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Took a bit to find it but I knew I'd seen pix of this installation somewhere.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84...-hwh-jacks-4130.html

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much!!!! That's what I've been looking for...it seems I read somewhere I read to use wooden close pins...so that seems easy...

posted Hide Post
CLOTHESPINS---The secret and safe way to install new springs. They have a nice indention that keeps them from sliding out of the springs. I took clothespins and took them apart, and then cut off part of the end. To remove the old springs, extend the jack fully and insert the clothespin halves in between the springs. I used about 30 per spring. Then retract the springs and this removes all tension and they are easy to remove. For the new springs, I backed my Suburban in front of the Barth in the driveway. I used a good size ratchetstrap, one end on the Barth bumper and the other end on the trailer hitch of the Suburban. I used the ratchet strap to pull the new springs apart enough I could insert the 30 or so clothespins. This lengthens them and you can then install them on the jack. Once they are installed, extend the jack and they will pop out or you can easily pull them out.

Hope this helps someone else.

K&E

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
CLOTHESPINS---

Hope this helps someone else.

K&E

That's neat! I have spaced springs forever, but never thought of clothespins. The notch is a great idea.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post