Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What Chassis do I have?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What Chassis do I have?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of JoshS
posted
I have a 1975 20'. In the data tag project info it says for my tag "Chassis Vin P Forward Control. So what is that. I am looking at replacing some airbags and dont know how to identify what I need? Thank for the help.

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
Ok so after doing a little more reading I understand I have a "forward Control" Chassis. I need to replace my airbags. Does anybody know what I need or how to look it up. Everything I can find online is for newer vehicles. I suppose calling a local shop would help, but figured I would ask since I am online now. Also I was looking at the "Sumosprings" made by "Supers Springs". Anybody know anything about these. Why not replace with something that will not fail over time like an airbag is what I am thinking.

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
you have a chevrolet chassis. P31 most likely

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
You can either replace the bags or springs. If you replace the springs with the right strength of Supercoil you will have a permanent fix. For a fix that lasts a few years, use Air Lift 1000 bags inside your existing springs.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
On the supercoil web site it lists "P30/32/35 Chassis". If I have a P31 will these work the same? How do I find out exactly what chassis I have?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Go here and read or print this guide.alignment Good info.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
If I went with the supercoil that replaces both the spring and airbag. So no more bag in the spring?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
A lot of people hate airbags in the front springs....over the years I've had several motorhomes with the airbags in the front springs and I like the adjustability with the airbags.I like the ability to compensate for different loads. There are times when you like the bags soft for a nice ride. On the other hand, I've had times when the rig was loaded heavy (or was on roads with expansion joints which made the coach bounce) and I upped the air pressure to stop the bounce in the front...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshS:
If I went with the supercoil that replaces both the spring and airbag. So no more bag in the spring?

That is correct.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshS:
On the supercoil web site it lists "P30/32/35 Chassis". If I have a P31 will these work the same? How do I find out exactly what chassis I have?
You will never find out what chassis you have. Chevy contradicts themselves right and left in their own publications. Everyone who thinks they know says something different.

You can search this site for a lot of information, but no one really has the answer. If you say you have a P30, people will know what you mean. I say I have a P series or a P thirty-something.

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
You will never find out what chassis you have. Chevy contradicts themselves right and left in their own publications.
ROTFLMAO

Oh boy...

We have one member who built these chassis and was the designer for the MH Division. He says these are properly known as a P-32 Chassis.

Try this link - Jake of Michigan aka Jakeofmi built these when he was at GM.

You could also read every post by Jakeofmi and see what he says. Jake has posted 91 times and was last here on Thu, 17 Mar 2011.

You might want to also read this post where jakeofmi responded to me, dave and bill h on the subject.

We had one person who signed up just to post his experience getting a part and how the P32 designation saved him in the end. I think it was for a brake rotor.

I'm of the belief that the P32 designation is correct. But, if a parts book shows "P30 Motorhome", then it is probably correct too.

Anyone else want to wade into the deep end of the pool? Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I'm calling mine a P37 since the VIN # includes 37 as the "motor home chassis" but the parts guys don't know about this. 32 seems to be the best for the parts guys I've talked to but even the GM guys can't say (they refer to it as a -52 series chassis!) Like Bill says, evidently no one really knows!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Here is a discussion about this on another forum.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22...explained-21035.html

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
My feelings are, if it ain't writ on GM paper, It ain't true.

My GM manuals are full of contradictions, so I don't know what is true.