Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    gas peddle switch
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

gas peddle switch
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted

Does anyone know what this switch does that is actuated by the accelerator peddle. My wire connector is not plugged into the switch, the engine starts and runs fine without it connected. I figured it should have a purpose, but what?

Thanks,
Tom

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
As I recall switches on gas pedals were either tied into the transmission and/or the air conditioning. I think both occurred after emission controls screwed up the use of manifold vacuum as a motive force for such controls.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I have a vague recollection of a switch on the floor under the gas pedal in some cars with automatic transmissions used to activate the "passing gear" when an extra burst of acceleration was needed.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I thought it was an electric kick-down for the transmission. I always thought it did the 3rd to 2nd kickdown when you pushed the pedal all the way.

I had to remove and replace mine when I recarpeted.

Thinking it was that, I considered not hooking it back up as some of the guys here said the hardest thing on the trans was the sudden kickdown and it was better to manually downshift....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the input, definitely sounds like a switch for the transmission. So I need to decide if I want to plug it back in or not. I bought the motorhome with it unplugged and do not have knowledge of why they unplugged it.

I am really happy with the way the transmission shifts so I think I'll leave as is. And come to think of it, when I test drove the motorhome I accelerated heavy and did not notice any sudden downshift. She justed rolled up to speed with ease.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Is that the switch that activates NO2 for passing.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
POLITICS WARNING! For those not wanting to deal with politics please ignore this post.
Back in the '70's our legislators here in Missouri wasted untold hours debating, refining, word-smithing a bill that was declared unconstitutional before it even got out of conference.
The bill had to do with switches and the congress-people returning to Jefferson City at night. The bill was to have dimmer switches returned to the left corner of the floorboard from the stalk on the steering column. Seems that when our illustrious legislators tried to dim their high beams they caught their legs in the steering wheel trying to push the dimmer switch with their toe.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post