Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    blown rear axle seal
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

blown rear axle seal
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
Does things like this always have to happen???

The other day lowered the awning to clean it up for the up coming Dec. GTG and found it had a long tear in it along the seam. This was the results of those not knowing how to protect your awning when repainting the coach.
Paint got onto the vinyle which caused it to dry out. So much for that.

So Barb & I closed up the awning and took the ole Barth out for a ride down to Camping World (about a 70 mile round trip).
We ordered a nice new awning in a Silver fade color.

On the way back about five miles from the house, in stop and go traffic, I noticed the trans. temp go from 200 to 300 and then settle back to 200.
It did this several times but would always settle back to 200 when moving faster. It seemed it would go to 300 when stopping and taking off and then back to 200.

Upon backing into the driveway and shutting down Barb noticed some smoke coming from the area of the right rear tires on the inside near the axle.

I checked the area and could not locate anything, however when I looked at the wheel nuts I could see Confused thick looking oil/grease around them.

Drove it over to the mechanics for a check and they agreed it looks like a blown oil seal/grease bearing. They will be pulling it apart tomorrow.

They suggest to also replace the brake pads as they could be compromised from the oil & heat. I told them to replace them if needed and change the brake fluid also.

Well so much for a nice drive and new awning.

On the good side - the trans. fluid was clear clean red and and no burnt smell to it.

Capt Jim Ooops

1985 Barth Regency
35 ft. MCC DD 225HP
Ally. 4 speed

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
As a neighbor once told me, I was borrowing his big tractor for a project and was worried about potential for damage, "They don't break in the barn."
On reflection I decided they only get ready to break if left in the barn.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Update on the Barth with good news.

Did have a sticking brake- no longer sticking and replacement brake pads not needed.
The mechanic cleaned and repaired the grease seal which was slinging grease out but did not reach the brake pads.

I did have them drain and put in new brake fluid.

Tomorrow I should be able to pick it up after they do a final check on everything.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
More to mention on the follow up.

In draining the brake fluid they found incorrect pressure coming out of the rear master brake cylinder causing the rear brakes to hang up.

Mechanic advised the master cylinder for the Regency is no longer made, however they found one and that place wanted $1100 for it, so they passed on it. (ole story of you need it - I got it but at my price)

They then made a call to Jim Black of Recreational Vehicle Services and he stated he still has connections with Bendix and can rebuild the unit for $250, however advised that both front & back be rebuilt to avoid problems.

So that's what is happing at present. I'll up date again and remember if you have any questions about parts for a Barth Regency or any Barth -

Contact: Recreational Vehicle Services at (800)-821-2266 Web site www.rvsrepair.com.

Jim & Barb
1985 Barth Regency 35'
DD 225hp Ally 4 speed

Picture of Eric D.
posted Hide Post
He is also one of the only shops left that has parts for FMC's and works on Revcons.

Posts: 44 | Location: Bay Area | Member Since: 02-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Just a small update on the price to rebuild the units. The supplier kit prices have gone a little "sky high" so the rebuild price is $650 each plus shipping charge. confusion

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
You could contact the chassis manufacturer. I got mine from Spartan. They still have the new master cylinder AND booster in one unit.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jim's coach is on an MCC chassis, so parts are no onger available from the manufacturer.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
the rebuild price is $650 each plus shipping charge.

Jim, I rebuilt both of mine myself.... It was AMAZING what little bit of parts/seals was included in the rebuild kit.... There is a series of photos on this site of while I was rebuilding the "Rotochambers" by Bendix..... Yes mine is also a MCC.... Try a search of my old posts to find it? Good luck !!!

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Patch1st post on rebuild. Here

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Patch, thanks for the info and pictures.
The units (front & back) had already been sent to RVS for rebuild.
I was told it would be $250 each for the rebuild,
however Jim of RVS said that the supplier of the rebuild kits had raised the prices and the rebuild would now be $650 each. He advised not to just rebuild one as it could later cause problems with the one not rebuilt.

He said there are two styles used on the MCC coaches. The style I have is nick named or called the football style and was only used on 37 MCC's.
I am going to take the pictures you sent and campare them to my unit to see if it is the same.

Jim

Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Patch,
We both have the same units.
Mechanic has not received the rebuilt units and called Jim at RVS. He found out that Bendix sent incomplete rebuild kits and had to wait for all the parts to come in. Another thing that happen, one of the bolts on the original unit had been cross threaded at the factory when new so that had to be corrected.

Only thing I can hope now is the units don't get lost when shipped.

Keep smiling..... people will think your up to something! with that said - I have to!

Jim

Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Just up dating this old post. My Barth has been "in shop" since 09-29-2011 with the on going brake problem.
Not really a brake problem- a re-build problem with the master cylinders.
From what I am told Bendix sent out incomplete kits so there was a delay with finding parts.
The rebuilder had another problem with the cross-threaded bolt area that had been like that since new. That had to be sent out to be re-surfaced and re-tapped.
Some confusion as to what happened with that problem and to date they still haven't arrived back to my mechanic.
Old Barth is just sitting there waiting and I now hope the batteries don't run down, tires go down or the engine falls off. OK- maybe just the first two.
Camping World has called me three or four times reminding me they have a paid awning ready to put on and I keep telling them it's in the shop with a brake problem.
At this rate maybe it will be ready for the next Fl GTG or ready to be towed somewhere and put a foundation under it and call it a vacation house.

Jim

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
so sorry to hear what you are going through, Jim.
The batteries will almost certainly have discharged after nearly four months, even if you threw both master disconnects. I noticed that my alarm system continues to draw current even with chassis and house battery disconnects in open position. There is a certain rate of self-discharge even when NO device is drawing current.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Jim,

If it is at a shop close by, consider going over and running the generator to charge things up and exorcize the generator at the same time.

How well do you know this shop? I always get suspicious with your statement that they said there was a cross threaded bolt from new. How do they know that exactly? Hey, you were a cop. Do people sometimes lie to get out of a pinch? hmm

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post