Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Improvements
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Improvements
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted
I was recently helping a fellow troubleshoot the electrics in his motor home. The house batteries would go dead within a couple of days without shore power.

Anyway, the previous owner had added quite a few "improvements" and new circuits. He used the same color wire for everything and labeled nothing. He had not made an as-built drawing for any of the additions and had left lots of disconnected wires hanging in the engine compartment with no insulation or shrink tubing over the bare ends. In short, it was a nightmare to work on.

The trouble was that the charging cable to the house batteries was unhooked and hidden in a rag-tag bundle of wires. There was some sort of isolator device that had been disconnected and never reattached.

The point is that when you make wiring changes you should do yourself and the next owner a favor and throughly document the changes with a narrative and new drawings that you tuck away in your coach files. Different colored wires are essential as are wire numbers, etc. And, unused wiring should be completely removed or at least coiled up and tucked out of the way with some sort of tag that specifies that it is unused. It also helps to include the destination of the wires if they disappear into a harness or firewall.

It's a pleasure to work on a clean orderly compartment and a headache to have to trace and identify circuits that have been hacked over.

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure when it was implemented, but my Barth has a coach wiring harness that has the intended use of each wire printed all the way down that wire. For instance, the back-up light wire says "backup light" from the front of the coach to the rear.

They even thought to add a few extra wires. When I was adding an electric brake actuator I needed a wire to go from the rear to the front where the actuator resides. I found an unterminated wire in the engine bay labeled "B". I went to the main wiring box up front and there was the other unterminated end of "B". Did a continuity check and sure enough it was the same "B". Brilliant!

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Although Conrad Bennett, the prior owner, did an excellent job documenting the additional wiring he did, Barth didn't.

I got a Fluke Pro 3000 tracer ("toner and probe") from Amazon. Attach the tone generator toa wire, and search with the probe for its location elsewhere.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Corey,

That is absolutely the best it can get. Can you imagine that effort on a SOB mass produced vehicle.

Rusty,

It is imperative that you have a tone generator and a good continuity checker. I have a DMM that works for most functions but the length of the coach makes for some walking.

Spares in the harness, what a concept!!

Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post