Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tire Torq
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tire Torq
 Login now/Join our community

posted
What is the torq for the tire lug nuts for our '91 Barth?
We just bought new tires, but we don't know how much torq they should have.
Thank you for your help,
Tom Masters

Posts: 9 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Member Since: 04-22-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I think it is probably predicated on the particular wheel you have. If you have Alco wheels, ask them (or a competent heavy truck center). No matter what your wheels are, any place that sells and installs 19.5" wheels, or whatever, ought to know. They do it day in and day out.
What new tires did you choose? radial I hope.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It is indeed based on the wheel's material (steel or alloy) and whether hub- or stud-piloted. We can't provide any useful guidance without knowing what model and length Barth you have, and what tires and wheels (especially number of lugs).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Gloria Masters:

Here's a copy of the data card.

I guess we still need wheel material and number of bolts, though.

Perhaps calling Spartan?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are radials.Wheel materials are steel. We stopped in Panama City, FL and they couldn't help at all and suggested we go to someone like Pep Boys.
Our coach is 28 feet long, a 1990-1991 Breakaway.
Many people on this trip have admired Bartha, she definitely doesn't look her age. Didn't see any on the road during our almost 2000 mile trip.
We're on our way home to Santa Fe. She has performed beautifully!

Posts: 9 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Member Since: 04-22-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's likely you have 6-lug Budd wheels. Studs, nuts and extenders (for wheel covers) are available at NAPA.

I got the thin nuts for securing the wheel covers online...can't find the link right now.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
torq for the 6 lug wheels should be 400 to 600 lb/ft. Aluminum wheels on the duals require a special "first nut" that has a shoulder.

What ever you do DO NOT allow the use of an air powered impact wrench to be used for tightening. When I bought our Breakaway, there were 2 stripped studs on one side.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Whoa! There no wheel nut in the world that would tighten to 400 ft.lbs. The maximum torque for a 9/16" diameter lug nut is 145 ft.lbs. All wheels made of steel follownthe same chart, which is availble online at ehow.com. Aluminum wheels specs are available from Alcoa or any big rig tire shop. It is not humanly possible to apply 400 or more ft.lbs. of torque. And not impact wrench that is air powered will exceed 150 ft.lbs. I suspect your steel wheels need 135 to 145 and if you have Alcoa's and are using the proper shouldered lug bolts it will be about 115. If in doubt call the nearest Goodyear Truckwise Center.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
If in doubt call the nearest Goodyear Truckwise Center.

or WINGFOOT as the case may be.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UMMMMM, that is what the specs are for the 6 bolt system I have and was verified by 3 sources.

I use a 3 foot breaker bar, I weigh 200 lbs, and at the end of the it will be close to 500 lb/ft.

My wheel studs 6 bolt system are 3/4 inch diameter.

1" impact wrench WILL indeed go well over 600 lb/ft torque and that is what most truck tire places use.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check this PDF out

http://lelandbrake.com/images/catalog/472-473.pdf

3/4 16 studs require 450 to 500 lb/ft.

http://www.trucktoolsales.com/...k_tool_sales_003.htm

1" impact wrenches are rated least 900 lb/ft

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Apparently Ed's coach and mine have the same Budd wheels. 450 lb-ft is correct; these are stud-piloted, which generally require more torque than hub-piloted wheels.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
1" impact wrenches are rated least 900 lb/ft
!!! Hurts my skinny wrist just looking at some of those wicked wrenches !!!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
http://lelandbrake.com/images/catalog/472-473.pdf
let's end the guessing. Here are the full spec's for both type of wheels. I was wrong about the larger wheels.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
sure you can get 400lbs of torque.use a 8ft pipe andyou will get more than that.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post