Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Water Pump Runs Constantly
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water Pump Runs Constantly
 Login now/Join our community

posted
You could have air leaking into the fresh water tank,If your water pump runs constantly,or intermittent cycling on/off when you are not using the water.If you cannot find a water leak,check the valve that you use for filling the tank and make sure it close.Most RV use a one way check valve, could be defective.If your toilet slide valve not closing completely,your pump should cycle intermittently. Hope this help someone.Jay&Shelby

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The pump runs because the pressure switch detects low pressure. The switch could be lying, or it could be truthful. If you cap or plug the pump outlet, and the pump stops running, then the pressure switch is OK, and there is a water leak somewhere on the pressure side.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh? Mislithiny, I don't follow that. Probably gonna have more mud on my face after this, but could you elaborate? Am I ovelooking the obvious?

(Mud-wipes at the ready. Please proceed.)

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron, bottom line is that for your pump to shut off the system has to be pressurized. Such as all faucets shut off etc. From the few folks who have posted with running pumps I recall fixes were commonly a leaky toilet, a leaky stopper thing on the city water inlet, (technical jargon) and of course a leaking bit of plumbing some where. Now of course I know you would not do this but I have been known to stand there and wonder why my pump was running and then finding I had not water in the tank (open dump valve), maybe that was what Jay was referring to. I have a diaphragm pump so luckily I can run it dry. But I am convinced I don't get the pressure other impeller pump produce.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Ummm......"dump valve"?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I hope he means "drain valve," like drain valve for his fresh water tank.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I am going to change my username to TYPO that would fit perfectly wouldn't you think.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No mud wipes needed Ron:When the check valve is defective,it hard to find the leak because you are sucking in air,not spraying water out where you could see it.When the valve for filling the fresh water tank is open or defective,water leaks out of the system back into the fresh water tank,so the pump runs to keep pressure in the system. Hope this help!Jay

------------------
br2409

[This message has been edited by Missliltiny (edited December 15, 2003).]

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wipe, wipe..........ahhhh, now I can see. :-)

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Missliltiny and others,

I have recently dewinterized and after flushing the water system of antifreeze and putting some water back into my water tank, my new (last season) SureFlo water pump will not stop running. I have searched for leaks and can find none. I believe I have purged all of the air from the system. I used a water heater bypass so it was empty and needed to be refilled. Jay, you mentioned a check valve that stopped working. Where was it located? Did repairing it fix you problem?

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Bill, the ‘auto fill’ valve open will cause that symptom. Either on, or stuck open.

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Jack, that is true. The pump will just happily pump water back in to the tank. This is one of the leaks that will be detected by capping or plugging the pump outlet.

A manual valve is not quite as easy to reach, but is pretty reliable.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill:The check valve is close to the Water hook-up on the coach!Take and plug the hose hook-up and that should stop the Air leaking into the system.Check your fill valves for leaked:The check valve I changed out was on SOB.

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I replaced the check valve fill with a street water fill connection without a check valve. This of course requires that the cap always be tight. The reason I did it was to be able to connect a hose with a sprayer to the fill and have a shower outside. Really handy for kids, dogs, beach sand and washing up after dumping.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Bill,
You mean that you don't have a hose spigot on the outside near the dump station? I thought that was a standard on Barth’s, like the motor aided water heater. Funny thing about it, I use it to depressurize the system when I unhook the 'city' water, and every now and then, forget to shut it off, and when I turn on the water pump, I get a real big leak. Come to think of it, that could be Bill G's problem.

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post